What's your own squad number?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gavc23 wrote: 13 - I quite fancy being one of those 3rd choice goalkeepers that never has to do anything but still gets paid well, a Richard Wright, Stuart Taylor type.
    Are you mad? I always wore 13 in honour of Gerd Muller, sharing as I did both his body type and drinking habits, though sadly not the lightning reflexes in the box

Comment

Kevchenko wrote: Gutted that both 13 and 27 (twice!) have gone. I'll cut the oranges then.

Harry and jwdd - with 27, is it all about the shape made in between the two digits, that kind of parallelogram? That's what I like about it, anyway. There's almost rotational symmetry in there.
      Mine's to denote 1927, the year my old club made their mark on history.

You have to take am alternate number though or I'll feel bad.

Comment

Haussmann wrote: Last time I played in a team it was 42, because of The Hitchhiker's Guide to he Galaxy. Probably wouldn't be again.
        All updates done but I couldn't work out if you actually want the 42 shirt or not?

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
          Originally posted by Kevchenko
          Gutted that both 13 and 27 (twice!) have gone. I'll cut the oranges then.

Harry and jwdd - with 27, is it all about the shape made in between the two digits, that kind of parallelogram? That's what I like about it, anyway. There's almost rotational symmetry in there.

31 then, please. It's a lucky prime, and also a Mersenne prime, so can be rendered in binary as 11111.

Comment

11's the last of the first team numbers to go? I'd never have guessed that.

Comment

I'll have 11. If Romeo Zondervan ever wore it for Ipswich, that's good enough for me.

*Checks*

He did! He first wore it in the one of the very first games I watched from the terraces, so that seems almost apt somehow.

Comment

1974ddr wrote: Are you mad? I always wore 13 in honour of Gerd Muller, sharing as I did both his body type and drinking habits, though sadly not the lightning reflexes in the box
                Defector.

Comment

I did want 27, it's a Turkish thing for me. If HT won't let me have it I'll go for 72, the reverse and it is both Batman and the year of my birth.

My phone number in Turkey ended in 42, I chose it because of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Comment

Kevchenko wrote:
                    Originally posted by Harry Truscott
                    Originally posted by Kevchenko
                    Gutted that both 13 and 27 (twice!) have gone. I'll cut the oranges then.

31 then, please. It's a lucky prime, and also a Mersenne prime, so can be rendered in binary as 11111.
                    I've issued you that shirt (and made the other updates) but on the firm proviso that it is a keeper's one and I really should have made that clear to Andrew when I awarded him the 41 shirt. Clearly they could not be outfielder's numbers.

Comment

No, clearly not.

*ahem*

Comment

As 4 and 27 have gone, I will for 15.

Comment

Kevchenko wrote: No, clearly not.

*ahem*

That just proves my point, an ugly disfiguring sight.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: As 4 and 27 have gone, I will for 15.
                            Updated, JPR tribute?

Comment

Ha, no. The last of the 'old style' numbers.

Comment

What's wrong with 12? That's as old school as it gets outside 1-11. Everyone's always so down on the honest, noble 12 shirt, it saddens me.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                                  I've issued you that shirt (and made the other updates) but on the firm proviso that it is a keeper's one and I really should have made that clear to Andrew when I awarded him the 41 shirt. Clearly they could not be outfielder's numbers.
                                  Got no problem with this - I grew 6" in height over one summer holidays and came back as a 6ft 2in 15 year old. Tall kids go in goal, it's the law.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: What's wrong with 12? That's as old school as it gets outside 1-11. Everyone's always so down on the honest, noble 12 shirt, it saddens me.

I always think of it as the sub keeper's shirt but, yeah, put me down for that if not.

Comment

I do too, but it's certainly a solid enough choice to wear outfield as well. Can I bag 16? Don't think anyone else has nabbed it and it would be my first choice anyway — 4 is my favourite but I'm not a defender, so 42 is ideal and works for midfield I feel.

Comment

Updated, VA. Bored, you keep the 15 shirt.

I don't get this "number 12 for sub keepers" thing. Surely for around 25 years from the mid sixties it denoted the sole outfield substitute and even since then is more usually for an outfield player. I only really associate it with the sub keeper in Scotland/modern Scottish leagues.

Comment

For me 12 is always your supersub striker or veteran 'steady the game' defender. Sub keepers are 13, 23, 33, etc.

Comment

My old amateur team adopted a squad numbers system about 10 years ago. I was awarded no 10.

Proudest moment of my 25 year career. I was a non-scoring centre forward/non tackling midfielder or as I used to justify it "playing in the hole, cleverly creating space for those around me and being the glue that holds the team together".

I was also the club treasurer which helped.

Comment

Actually, can I switch from 27 to 16? Is Velvet Android still around to swap (Isn't he Various Artists)?
                                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-08-2017, 16:24.

Comment

77 - which I did actually wear when I was last playing. Because of Ray Bourque, naturally.

For our five a side team, we did actually think about putting names of serial killers on the back with the numbers matching. Sutcliffe 13, Nilsen 6, West 12. That sort of thing. I didn't think we would get away with Shipman, 218 though.

Comment

Since my actual number from my playing days is taken (14), I'll take 21, which feels like a proper modern footballer's number even if they're first choice.

Not touching 12, it feels like a desperately sad number.

Comment

My actual one is 34. Hockey rather than Football, but I feel attached to it. If this can't be freed up in the OTF squad for me, then I'm sorry, but I won't be able to sign the contract. It is a non-negotiable.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X