Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing an hour's sleep - Weekend matchgoing

TonTon wrote: Eric's's game is off.
    Looking at Twitter, results going their way so far - Workington losing, while both Ashton and Ilkeston are playing out scoreless draws at the moment.

Comment

The annoying thing about KL's whining and nastiness is that they are the better team.

Comment

By the way, today's referee has been excellent; probably the best I've seen at this level.

Comment

Finishes 0-1.

Comment

And all the Hartlepools drag themselves out of the bottom three.

Comment

Southport won 2-1 whilst other results went our way, leaving us nine points clear of the relegation zone. We took the lead early on from a free kick and Torquay got a player sent off a few minutes later. Fairly forgettable for the next hour or so, until Torquay equalised from a free kick from virtually the same spot Southport's had been taken. A draw looked likely but Torquay's defence failed to take about half a dozen chances to clear the ball in the box and Southport eventually scored. Hi light of the game was probably when a Torquay substitute was held up before coming on and so Southport briefly had a two man advantage. We took the opportunity to put together a thirty odd pass move for the first time in club history, although the ball never got anywhere near the penalty area.

Comment

I can join this thread for a change. I'm going to see Poland toy with us tomorrow night.

Comment

Albion got absolutely humped 0-3 at home to Elgin, still Queens Park only drew and Arbroath lost, so, five games to go with a six point lead, I don't even think Albion can fuck this up.

Comment

First abandoned game I've ever been to today, as the Southend game at Gigg lasted all of six minutes.

Comment

Oxford 2-1 Carlisle.

Where to start? This was an epically shit performance from Carlisle that any competent side would have exposed by gubbing us 5 or 6. The fact it took Oxford til the 80th minute to put our ten men out of their misery tells you what a poor side they are. Though not nearly as poor as us. Getting worried now.

Comment

Hertford Town 2 Cockfosters 1. Two great individual goals for the home side settled a game marred by the dreadfully rutted pitch and incredibly strong wind.

It was a bit weird as the normal atmosphere of a small group of largely middle-aged men watching the game with a resigned surliness was completely altered by scores of young children and their parents attending due to a charity day hook-up with a local youth football club. Up until fifteen minutes prior to kick-off and straight away there were multiple mini-games going on across the pitch which apparently carried on almost immediately after the final whistle.

I can't say I liked it, my mates and I went across to the least populated side of the pitch to avoid the hubbub but it was still unsatisfactory. The normal equilibrium of a non-league match was lost and it was more like a school fete. We left with a few minutes to go to make sure we caught the kick-off of the Wales game in the pub and missed Cockfosters' late consolation goal.

Comment

Orient 3-1 Port Vale saw talking points ahoy.

There was a first half-hour so brain-rottingly bad it deserves some kind of award, there was the linesman and ref acting like someone lobbing a plastic cup at the lino was a nuclear attack, there was a pigeon interfering with play, there was the chairman-instigated half-time PA announcement berating Darius Henderson for not turning up in time for kick-off (stuck behind a traffic accident, apparently), there was the penalty and goalkeeper red card that brought us level, the comical own goal that put us ahead, there was the brain-rottingly bad second penalty from David Mooney, scorer of the first one, which was the easiest save their eccentric sub keeper had to make, and then, finally, a bit of football when Dean Cox scored a belter to make it 3-1.

The maddest thing of all though was that we ACTUALLY WON A GAME AGAINST 10 MEN for the first time this season.

Hard to be convinced that it was relegation-avoiding quality though.

Comment

TonTon wrote: Eric's's game is off.
                            Went Nazi hunting instead. Then got drunk in Cheetham Hill with some Top Reds. It was a decent day.

Comment

Wasn't expecting to go to a game today, and I didn't 'go to' one in the strictest sense - I got hauled away from the breakfast table at 11.30 (clocks went forward, in mitigation) to ref a game that started at 1pm. My first game in Germany - they haven't even processed my paper work yet and I wasn't supposed to start for another two weeks, but it was a last-minute emergency.

So, two reserve teams at the lowest level of German adult football. Not that anyone will have heard of the teams, but I can't name them for confidentiality reasons (that sounds pompous, but who knows who might find their way here via Google?). 3-5, two yellow cards, not too much controversy except that at this level there are no linesmen, so they moan about every offside call, no matter which way you call it (and it's almost impossible to be sure you've got them right).

Most controversial incident was after about 35 minutes when the away team banged in a free kick from out wide that came back out off the inside of the far post. They were 2-1 down at the time. They all screamed that it had gone in and come back out off the stanchion. The home team all screamed that it hadn't. From a Physics point of view, I didn't see how it could have hit the stanchion and come back out at such a direct angle, so I didn't give it. Plus, as far as I was concerned, the ball didn't look like it had gone in. Luckily they went on to win and no one moaned about it afterwards. Home team was dead friendly when we settled up on the cash, so at least they didn't seem to blame me for the defeat, despite cancelling a goal for them for offside when the score was 2-2. Good to get back out on the field again, even in the role of the bastard in the black.

Comment

Suspect that, having moved the fixture from Saturday for tv tonight, that Burton v Stevenage this evening should be here rather than in a new midweek thread.

Anyway, it's £15 in (cheap for FL these days) plus kids for a quid, so am going to this game with mistrollingin, also of this parish, and his boy. Believe they are ticking off a new ground. Myself, have been there often. Not looking forward to the journey across Nottingham to get there though, with Clifton and the A453 being a no-go zone for many months now.

Expecting a competitive match. Hasselbaink has replaced the headhunted Rowett with efficient ease and Burton appear to be the best team in the league. Westley remains Westley, so if Stevenage gatecrash the play-offs then I am sure that would not be very popular amongst the League Two cognescenti. One thing Westley does do is recruit from non-league (Wells, Pett, Okimo) and there are finally some youngsters coming through the youth scheme there (Kennedy, Johnson).

I hope this will be a good advert for League Two. So, nailed on a nil-nil then.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: Hertford Town 2 Cockfosters 1...

It was a bit weird as the normal atmosphere of a small group of largely middle-aged men watching the game with a resigned surliness was completely altered by scores of young children and their parents attending due to a charity day hook-up with a local youth football club...

I can't say I liked it, my mates and I went across to the least populated side of the pitch to avoid the hubbub but it was still unsatisfactory. The normal equilibrium of a non-league match was lost and it was more like a school fete.
                                  The official crowd has been given as 559, about five times larger than Hertford's average, so I can't imagine they'll be discouraged.

Comment

Bluddy kids, ruining old men's joy of moaning at non-league football by having a good time.

Comment

Saw Farsley AFC lose 1-0 at home to Lancaster,thanks to a bad own-goal in a dull game. They're my local non-league side, and as I'm completely priced out of Chelsea these days, I'm gonna try and go more often. Their keeper was good, as was Lewis Nightingale on the wing.

Comment

Shepton Mallet 0 v 0 Hallen.

Initial plan was to head for Sidmouth, but this was scuppered by the driver of a freight train at Reading, who managed to go through a red signal, bringing the network to a halt for an hour, scuppering original plans.

So instead, headed west to Bath for the bus to Wells, stopping off at the guide pub at Chilcompton. These are the things I learned from that pub.
                                        1. The locals had a ‘reach over the bar and serve yourself’ arrangement
                                        2. 90% of the locals drink the exotic tipple of Cheddar Valley cider and orange
                                        3. If you want cheap lawnmower carburettor membranes, this is the pub to head for
                                        4. Motorcycle CBT refreshers can be held in pub back rooms, and there appears to be no restriction on what the pupils are drinking.
                                        5. Tempering the locals language is only effective if you also do it for the pub parrot.

On to Wells and a quick dash to the market produced the offerings for later.

An unexpected bonus was the Cummins ISBe 135 PS engined, Marshall Capital C39 bodied, 2002 TransBus Dennis Dart SLF, on the 161 to Frome via Shepton Mallet. This is a sub fleet operating out of Wells, ticked for the first time in 2007 whilst it operated the First Capital service to Ruislip Lido.

And on to the main event.

On enquiring about any team changes, I was informed that the referee was ‘a blackie but a good un’, and whilst taken aback by the original descriptor, he continues to receive praise throughout the game.

Whilst the ground was a dud, there were two new stands that replaced the lorry sawn in half that used to adorn the far touchline.

Main stand has gone goth and every inch of it is painted black.

The main purpose was getting in the two new stands. One was a tiny stand behind the top goal.

The other was on the halfway line, grandly calling itself a ‘pavillion’, but contained the sort of fixed seating around a table you normally only get in a Wimpy. Both were named after dead people.

Game finished 0-0 but was of a decent standard, despite Hallam being third from bottom and not paying players.

Move home was 161 bus to Frome for the 234 to Trowbridge, where I finally had to succumb to some 153 mileage for the year for the direct service back home.

The aforementioned local foods were a Somerset Charcuterie cider and mustard salami, a Wooton Dairy sheeps milk Dumpling and a blue veined Somerset Cheddar. Shant was just over the gallon of Glastonbury Ales Mystery Tor.

I would not score today but would calculate it at over 6000 calories.

Comment

And all for under a pound, you know.

It's Wallace and Grommit on a sociology field trip with the editorial staff of Groundtastic and Transport and Logistics. (A very good thing, by the way.)

Comment

What's a "guide pub"?

Comment

Shoreham 1-3 Horsham YMCA, it ended up (though, since we spent the last ten or fifteen minutes in the bar, I did have to look the final result.)

I'm kind of interested in the concept of "meaningless" football matches. There's only one promotion place from the SCL and no play-offs, and with Horsham in eighth place in the table and Shoreham in about thirteenth place, there really was very little to play for. I got to touch the match ball, the beer was £3 a pint and it's only a fifteen minute walk from my front door. What's not to like? Ah yes, my MP was there too, and he's a dick.

Comment

ad hoc wrote: What's a "guide pub"?
                                                A pub in the Real Ale Guide.

Comment

Shame. I liked the idea of a pub where friendly stewards usher you over to the bar and explain all the different kinds of beers and beverages on offer.

Comment

Or a pub full of girl guides, right? Hwaugh hwaugh hwaugh

Comment

Working...
                                                    X