The FA Inter-League Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The FA Inter-League Cup

Hands up who'd ever heard of this, or has been to a game?

I never had, until I picked up a copy of the YEP today and found out that the representative team of the West Yorkshire League had played in it at the weekend (and so its premier league fixtures had been shelved, a bit like international weekends for Premier League sides). It seems to get entries from all over England, but the holders are the Isle of Man League!

The FA Inter-League Cup

Winners qualify for European competition, specifically the UEFA Regions Cup which is for amateur sides. The Isle of Man finished third in their qualifying group, ahead of East, West & Central Scotland but behind hosts Eastern Slovakia and group winners Württemberg. Ireland hosts the finals in the summer.

The Inter League Cup, previously known as the National a League System Cup, has been held six times, with four titles going off shore - the Isle of Man League winning twice, whilst those of Guernsey and Jersey have won once each.

Comment

The FA Inter-League Cup

The FA of Wales have a regions cup to decide who goes forward to the international competition. It seems a bit weird even for a UEFA competition.

Comment

The FA Inter-League Cup

Oh, I so want to attend a game in both the English and Welsh competitions, do you have any info on the latter Jongudmund?

I was discussing a putative County Cup Winners Cup with some people on twitter last week but this will do in the meantime.

Comment

The FA Inter-League Cup

You've just missed the Welsh competition for this year. There are six FAs in Wales, two of whom decided not to enter (Gwent and Mid Wales). The remaining four have been split into two groups based on geography, with the winners playing the final.

On Tuesday South Wales beat West Wales 6-2, following up a 5-0 win in February. On Wednesday North East Wales had their second consecutive 4-0 win over the North Wales Coast FA. So a South Wales v North East Wales final..... Except that this competition is held over two years and so it's only half time. There will be another two matches in each section next February/ March, with South Wales and North East Wales needing a point each to secure their places in the May 2016 final.

Comment

The FA Inter-League Cup

Thanks, Zeb. Where are these games played and, the all-important question, what are the kits like?

Comment

The FA Inter-League Cup

Home grounds used in the recent matches:
              North East Wales - Cae y Castell, Flint
              North Wales Coat - Maesdu Park, Llandudno
              South Wales - Victoria Road, Port Talbot
              West Wales - Stebonheath Park, Llanelli

Presumably any floodlit ground within each FA's region might be used next year.

Comment

The FA Inter-League Cup

Harry, you can find the details on the FA Wales website. I saw them when looking up the Wales U21 game on Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
                X