Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer spending madness rumours

Might as well start it now, with this bombshell courtesy of the Daily Star:

Liverpool are going to sell Raheem Sterling to Man City for £50m and use some or probably almost all of the money to buy Theo Walcott.

Undoubtedly this move is going to be funded by the huge queue of clubs looking to pay Big cash money to take Man city's £9 million a year 30 year olds off their hands.

Comment

Forest will be spending £0, unless QPR manage to get the Football League FFP thrown out.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Might as well start it now, with this bombshell courtesy of the Daily Star:

Liverpool are going to sell Raheem Sterling to Man City for £50m and use some or probably almost all of the money to buy Theo Walcott.
        Funny. It's taken some time for Rogers' signings to settle in but this rumor would be more apt if King Kenny was still in charge. Over-priced and oft-injured English players was more his style.

Comment

I'd snatch City's hands off at £50 million.

I've come to the conclusion that Sterling is a bit shit.

Comment

Sterling is doggie bobbins, mate. Don't see the fuss at all.

Comment

It's not just the poor delivery, the constant giving away the ball or the poor goalscoring.

I think he's a bit of a twat as well.

Comment

I think we'll be looking to offload all the bale sightings except Erikson.

Why get an ageing city striker for£9m when you can get one of ours for £5m pa

Comment

Might as well start it now, with this bombshell courtesy of the Daily Star

The Daily Star could do with a bombshell of its own.

Transfer windows irritate me because when they're over and millions haven't been chucked all over shop, you'll get some cacktanks moaning that it was boring simply because no-one spent seventy million quid on one player or that no particular club released the financial equivalent of a small country in order to acquire squads. You can have interesting transfer window activity without pissing money down the toilet, so I'd like to know what exactly it is that gives these berks hard-ons when the chequebook comes out.

Comment

torres wrote: I'd snatch City's hands off at £50 million.

I've come to the conclusion that Sterling is a bit shit.
                    that's a bit harsh isn't it? The cunt has only turned 20, and he has 10 goals and 8 assists so far, effectively playing on his own. He's liverpool's most important player, so give him his 100k a week. That's not a lot of money to give the player that has been carrying liverpool's attack virtually single handed all season.

Consider it part of the cost of being able to sell him for 100 million to real madrid in two years time.

Comment

They've offered him £100k a week and he's holding out for more. I think his agent thinks he's going to be the next Lionel Messi, or at the very least Gareth Bale. I'd be happy for Liverpool to swap him for the next 18-year-old kid who can run 80m in 7 seconds and knock the ball vaguely goalwards at the end of it, I'm just not sure Theo Walcott fits the bill.

Comment

Well on the one hand he is only 20, and the idea of paying someone of that age £150k a week just seems wrong. On the other hand he is an England regular, your key attacking player, and he only has 2 years left on his contract. he kind of has you over a barrel. Also liverpool's turnover is going to be in the region of £300 million this year, so an extra £2 or £3 million doesn't matter that much.

Sturridge and coutinho have already signed new long term contracts, so the prospect of them beating down your door looking for new contracts is remote, and if Liverpool have him on a long term contract, then they protect his value when it comes to selling him.

also, I would be sceptical about there being a queue of clubs ready to pay £50 million for him this summer, but in a couple of years time that could be a real possibility. If he gets to the point where he only has a year left on his contract, then you would see his value start to fall sharply.

Man utd have a similar issue with David De Gea, and they're reportedly only offering him £140k a week, which quite frankly is too low when you consider a) what they're paying falcao, van persie and di Maria b) de gea's relative importance to the team compared to them. They should offer him more money.

Comment

United are reportedly going to use De Gea as part of a cash plus player deal for Bale. Personally I think they'd be better off keeping De Gea.

Comment

That may be true if De Gea just wants to go back to spain, but I suspect that united would really like to keep him if that can be arranged.

Comment

Cunt is a bit strong TAB, he's more a bit of a twat. I just don't see his game developing any more mate. I don't see a potentially gifted footballer in his make-up.

Comment

I could see him making a fairly decent improvement if he were to have a couple of good forwards around him, so he has a) someone to pass to and b) someone to take the pressure of being the main attacker off him.

but I'd be most worried about his size. He's teeny tiny, and he's going to get the shit kicked out of him, and throw this in on top of his reliance on lightning speed, and he could start to pick up a lot of injuries. Also you can get away with being relatively small in the premiership if a) you have an immaculate touch, and technique, and b) have a lot of intelligence, and I don't know if he has those two things

If I were in liverpool's shoes, I'd give him the new contract, and be lining up a replacement, for when you cash in on him in two years time, when you could get real money for him

Comment

Good God, according to multiple newspapers, (who obviously all received the same phonecall from jorge mendes) man utd's increasingly desperate attempts to sign falcao are doomed to failure as he is going to be wrested from their clutches by either Chelsea or Liverpool. Apparently they've fallen in love with his hair, and symmetrical features, and decided they just need to be paying him £13 million a year, or whatver the fuck he's getting

Comment

Finding a home for Falcao without sacrificing too much cash is going to test Mendes' magical powers.

Comment

They can have him, tbqfhwy.

Comment

well he managed to make mangala the most expensive defender in the world.....

What clubs are in his magic circle? We have Man utd, man city and chelsea in england Real Madrid, Atletico, and now valencia in spain, Then there's Porto, sporting, and benfica in portugal? Are PSG and monaco in there?

Comment

sterling is a terrific player. probably the most talented of this generation of english players. he's a much better footballer than, for instance, michael owen, who was already being held up as a messianic figure for english football at sterling's age.

but i don't think he has the environment at liverpool to improve. he needs direction and i wonder where it's going to come from.

i think, like coutinho, sterling really benefited from the example of suarez. every day he was being shown what it meant to be a world class player.

unfortunately suarez is gone and now he's left to learn from guys like brendan rodgers and daniel sturridge.

if i was his agent i might be worried about that (and i think we can assume the agent is making all the decisions here). if this guy has any brains he will be planning how to maximise sterling's earnings over the next 12 or 13 years. part of that is getting the biggest possible contract for him right now - he could get injured and it might all be over before they know it. but i think the most important thing at this point in his career is making sure that he's at the right club to keep getting better. is liverpool that club? brendan rodgers says so, but he would say that.

it's easy to forget how difficult it is for very young players to adapt themselves psychologically to a life of devoted work and improvement. by the time a lot of them figure out what they need to be doing they've already lee sharped it. even messi had a bit of a wobble when he was about sterling's age in 2007-08, going out a lot with deco and ronaldinho. that's why guardiola's first act as barcelona coach was to get rid of those guys. he was the best possible coach for messi to have. i don't think brendan rodgers is in that class. but then, who is? not an easy decision for the agent.

Comment

Falcao can come back to River Plate if he wants. Although I doubt Mendes would be overjoyed with his cut of that deal, given that Falcao currently earns roughly the same as every player in the Argentine top flight put together.

Actually, Monaco should do a straight swap: Falcao to River, Teo Gutiérrez to Monaco. Pretty please.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: well he managed to make mangala the most expensive defender in the world.....
                                              Doesn't David Luiz hold that particular title?

Comment

Apparently Man City might be forced into buying British in the summer - their mandated 8 "homegrown" players at the moment include Frank Lampard, Scott Sinclair, and James Milner, all of whom are widely tipped to be not part of plans, so they'd need 3 more to replace them.

This would explain the apparently baffling premium on English players' transfer prices.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: This would explain the apparently baffling premium on English players' transfer prices.
                                                  There has been a baffling premium on English players for around 30 years.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X