Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring in the air, Bishop! Weekend match-going.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wealdstone v Borehamwood for me. Hopefully the Boreham Wood fuckwits won't be there...

Stamford's numerous pubs v Actually bothering going to the game

It's a tough call, but home advantage should nick it for the numerous pubs.

Comment

Woking vs Forest Green Rovers.

We've got to beat that Tinpot Hobby Club to have any chance of still making the play-offs.

Comment

FSV Frankfurt v Sandhausen. Pretty insignificant mid-table game, but I won't let a small matter like that stop me from wasting a perfectly fine spring Friday evening.

Comment

Just the six matches for me this weekend, starting with East Kilbride v Whitehill Welfare on Friday evening. Saturday will start with Vale of Leithen v Preston Athletic, most likely followed by Peebles Rovers v Eyemouth United. If I feel like another game I'll go to Gala Fairydean Rovers in the evening for their game against Stirling University. Finally two games on Sunday - Dalbeattie Star v Edinburgh City and Threave Rovers v Edinburgh University.

Comment

That is more impressive than Accrington Stanley vs York City.

Which City will lose while scoring no goals.

Comment

Grimmer wrote: That is more impressive than Accrington Stanley vs York City.

Looking forward to welcoming York back to their natural level.

Comment

QPR v Everton for me. Going with a friend who is a QPR fan.

This will be my third Premier League game ever. The first was bizarrely Everton v QPR in 1994. It was so long ago Ray Wilkins was playing for QPR. The second was Newcastle v Aston Villa when Newcastle had two players sent off for fighting each other.

Comment

I've got Sunday afternoon free as my wife and children are otherwise occupied. After establishing there was no speedway, ice hockey, women's football or rugby accessible, I briefly considered QPR v Everton before realising I was clearly getting desperate and should probably get out on my bike instead.

Saturday should be Wimbledon v Portsmouth shoehorned between watching Italy v Wales and as much of the two other 6 Nations matches as possible. I think my dad may make his first ever trip to Kingsmeadow, which will be nice.

Comment

Southport Zeb wrote: Just the six matches for me this weekend, starting with East Kilbride v Whitehill Welfare on Friday evening. Saturday will start with Vale of Leithen v Preston Athletic, most likely followed by Peebles Rovers v Eyemouth United. If I feel like another game I'll go to Gala Fairydean Rovers in the evening for their game against Stirling University. Finally two games on Sunday - Dalbeattie Star v Edinburgh City and Threave Rovers v Edinburgh University.
                    The Lowland League Groundhop.

I did contemplate two of the Saturday games in The Borders but got a ticket for Falkirk v Hearts instead.

Vale of Leithen is a great wee ground, beautiful setting. Gala's worth it if you're a fan of brutalist stands, Bridge Inn if you've got time for a pint in Peebles.

Comment

Norwich away for me, and this time i'll actually be able to attend the game. Four seasons ago I made the mistake of booking a hotel and train tickets in advance, only for sky to move the game to the Friday night. Fuckers. We lost too. The one memorable thing from the game was Nathan Tyson scoring after the Norwich goalkeeper kicked the ball upfield, only for it to rebound off Tyson's arse and go straight back over the goalies head and into the net. Quite funny. There'll be a video somewhere. Probably.

edit: Here it is

Comment

Sydney FC v Melbourne City for me this evening. Sydney on a record-breaking won of consecutive victories, including a 5-4 win against Brisbane on Sunday which featured some of the worst defending I have ever seen (and I saw nearly every match of Swindon's ill-fated 1993/94 Premier League season).

It being a Friday night fixture, I fear for my liver. Beers after work, beers at the match, beers afterwards. Might be the last Sydney game I get to this season, so I might as well go out in style.

Comment

Here, BDG, it was the anniversary of you hitting Mark Hughes and Eric stamping on John Moncur yesterday.

Comment

Hah, I saw that yes. It was also the anniversary of my mate Other Dave getting his nose smashed across his face by a Man U fan outside and seeing a policeman getting bitten by his own dog.

Comment

Trinec v Usti nad Labem, a relegation battle in the Czech Republic's II Liga. Trinec (the town) is basically a steelworks and some housing on the Czech/Polish/Slovak border. It's part of a region disputed after WWI between Czechoslovakia and Poland. The first club in town was founded by Poles in 1921, but merged with a slightly later Czechoslovak club in the 50s to form the current entity.

Usti nad Labem is on the Prague-Dresden railway and is the infamous Czech town whose 'citizens' tried to build a wall round its Roma community in the mid-90s.

K.O. is 1015 Saturday. A fair few clubs in the Czech Rep and Slovakia favour early-morning games. For home fans and neutrals such as me, who only have a short trip to make, it's great, but I'll be surprised if Usti nad Labem bring any support with them.

Comment

I'll be at New Bradwell St Peter vs Pitstone & Ivinghoe. New Bradwell really need the win to keep their promotion challenge going, in particular having lost last Saturday's six-pointer with Kent Athletic. But Pitstone have won something like their last seven straight games. The match between the same two teams over at Pitstone in November was one of the most exciting of the season - a blood and thunder 2-2 draw - so hopes are high for a belter on Saturday afternoon. On the off-chance that you're around the north Bucks area, it's a 3pm start at the Recreation Ground in Bradville, MK. Free admission.

Comment

Sparrow wrote:
                                  Originally posted by Grimmer
                                  That is more impressive than Accrington Stanley vs York City.

Looking forward to welcoming York back to their natural level.
                                  Ye cheeky beggar! Feels like our level at the moment. I could see this York side struggling against the likes of Alfreton and Woking.

"The likes of..." heh.

Comment

Eric's, go to the bloody game.

Me, I'm at the Mighty Dons v Pompey, obv. Matt Tubbs will score a hat-trick. And I'll have a row about B teams in the JPT.

Comment

jameswba wrote: Usti nad Labem is on the Prague-Dresden railway and is the infamous Czech town whose 'citizens' tried to build a wall round its Roma community in the mid-90s.
                                      I once had a layover of several hours in Usti nad Labem. Spring 1993. I think we had to walk from one station to another to get the connection. My girlfriend at the time wasn't speaking to me because we'd had a row in Prague about whether or not we were getting on the right train. She thought the name of the depot painted on the underside of the wagon was the name of the destination. Trying to convince her otherwise ("So you're telling me they re-paint the train for every new journey?") proved to be futile.

There was a restaurant at the station. It was lunch time, we walked in, and about 50 workers having their lunch stopped talking and eating and stared at us. Maybe they thought we were Roma. Someone should have said in Czech, "We don't loike strangers around these parts," but they didn't. Just the purest silence. I smiled weakly and sat down and a waitress thumped some meat and dumplings down on our table. The conversation gradually resumed. There was no laughter in Usti nad Labem.

Never heard of Trinec, but I really hope they win.

Comment

Me too. Will let you know.

I'm tempted to say it's authentic Bohemian hospitality you experienced in Usti n/L. Much friendlier further east. But I'm biased.

Comment

This thread needs more Big Boobs and FIRE!, frankly.

Comment

True, though every thread does really, but Southport Zeb is doing sterling work in his absence.

Is there a Big Boobs and FIRE! Signal we can shine in to the eclipsed sky to summon him?

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Llandrindod Wells v Penycrae in the Welsh Alliance. This being the furthest you can on a Stagecoach day explorer from Cardiff.

There are three of us going, of which, I'm the only one who's never been sectioned.

Comment

I eagerly await the post-match report.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X