Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2015 UK General Election thread

It's really quite amazing.

Makes Follow, Follow look somewhat rational.

Comment

Did you know who David Evans there was, btw? Not just an odious Tory MP but the chairman of Luton when they banned away supporters.

Comment

They all sound alike to my colonial ears, Tubbs.

Comment

We've lost most of the Tory MPs like Evans. Replaced by "let gay couples buy their own unemployment insurance on the internet, and abolish the welfare state" Tories.

Comment

Leanne Wood sounds fucked. Barely scraped top place on the party list.

She didn't capitalize on the extra recognition from the debates. There just weren't the hoped for Welsh language friendly disaffected Old Labour voters out there. Mrs Tubby has been on the council with Plaid people for sometime, and they hadn't exactly struck her as very left wing, so I guess there must be a fair bit of internal disagreement with her policies.

Welsh speaking "modernizer" coming?

Comment

Why haven't the Greens got rid of Bennett? One of the bits of luck Labour did have was that Bennett not Lucas was their leader.

Comment

Not exactly urgent though is it? It isn't really that important who the official leader of the Greens is, five years out from a general election. Caroline Lucas will be the most public face of the GP for a while in any case. I imagine Bennett will step down in the next couple of years.

Greens have always been suspicious of the old fuhrerprinzip anyway, for years they refused to elect a leader at all. It still seems like a bit of a sop to the media- here's the go to person for the Greens, here's the photo to put next to a graphic representation of the Green vote, and so on.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Leanne Wood sounds fucked. Barely scraped top place on the party list
                  Why is this disastrous? It's not as if she scraped last place. Ruth Davidson (Tory leader in Holyrood) can't win a FPTP election, yet getting very positive reviews at the moment.

Nesta Arantes do Nascimento wrote: Not exactly urgent though is it? It isn't really that important who the official leader of the Greens is, five years out from a general election. Caroline Lucas will be the most public face of the GP for a while in any case. I imagine Bennett will step down in the next couple of years.

Greens have always been suspicious of the old fuhrerprinzip anyway
                  Aye, it's not like the bigger parties, or in say football where all the losing coaches walk after the World Cup.

I'm fairly sure Bennett won't seek re-election as party leader (next contest due in September 2016). She is looking instead to the London Assembly.

The anti-leader thing is outdated, particularly with so many new members.

Much as I abhor violence, sometimes this country needs a Gavrilo Prinzip more than his cousin Fuehrer...

Comment

Greens have always been suspicious of the old fuhrerprinzip anyway, for years they refused to elect a leader at all.
                    Yeah but they couldn't win an egg and spoon race.

They'll need more than one recognizable face. Better to bring someone on now, isn't it? Bennett will have to come on like David Batty at Blackburn.

Comment

Duncan Gardner wrote:
                      Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs
                      Leanne Wood sounds fucked. Barely scraped top place on the party list
                      Why is this disastrous? It's not as if she scraped last place. Ruth Davidson (Tory leader in Holyrood) can't win a FPTP election, yet getting very positive reviews at the moment.
                      Ruth Davidson did beat UKIP.

Comment

Deputy leaders Amelia Womack and Shahrar Ali will get pushed more post-election. Also confident media performers like Andy Cooper (energy expert from West Yorkshire).

Maybe even repeat the Russell Brand flirtation

Comment

Good luck to them.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                            Ruth Davidson did beat UKIP
                            Beating UKIP in Scotland is like beating the Tories in NI. Much more significant that she got close to Labour.

Comment

I was meaning Wood and Plaid didn't.

Agree that the Tories did well in Scotland, and Davidson was an asset.

Comment

I think the reason Davidson comes across well is that, being a Tory in Scotland (by that I mean an actual Scot, not an English aristo who owns half the fucking place), you're used to losing and being in the minority, so you learn a bit of humility. I mean, obviously I oppose almost everything she stands for, but Davidson doesn't have the born-to-rule sneery arrogance that almost all English Tory MPs have.

Comment

Fair point.

On the natural party of government thing, I was reminded the other day that, at the time of the 2010 election, the Tories had been out of power for exactly half my lifetime (born 1962).

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote: I think the reason Davidson comes across well is that, being a Tory in Scotland (by that I mean an actual Scot, not an English aristo who owns half the fucking place), you're used to losing and being in the minority, so you learn a bit of humility. I mean, obviously I oppose almost everything she stands for, but Davidson doesn't have the born-to-rule sneery arrogance that almost all English Tory MPs have.
                                    Yep.

Nor is she obviously one of the hard right ex-uni loons, like Michael Forsyth, who used to be about.

Comment

Ah, is that the Federation of Conservative Students, shut down in the eighties for being too loony right-wing by, er, Norman Tebbit? Good times, great memories.

Comment

Nah, just the regular JCR at St Andrews.

Comment

Doesn't Give sound like Ronnie Corbett?

Comment

Working...
                                          X