Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this season even more depressing than usual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had a great time this year.

Nearly pegged it a year or so ago and spent the tail end of last season recovering.

Got myself a Hearts season ticket again and I've had a whale of a time with that and a couple of away games so far. Free Saturdays have been spent getting the East Juniors grounds I haven't been to yet in, down to 18 now.

The Athletic's in the last 16 of the Scottish.

Fucking glad I'm alive me.

Comment

There's a weird QPR thing going on. They were very popular with irish people in london of a certain age, and they had fans in Ireland via relatives.

Kilburn is well in the club's cachment area.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
        There's a weird QPR thing going on. They were very popular with irish people in london of a certain age, and they had fans in Ireland via relatives
        They were sponsored by Guinness in the 80s too.

Comment

how far was the park royal brewery from loftus road?

Comment

Couple of miles tops. Park Royal is one of the previous homes of the club.

Comment

These latter day converts are at every PL club, they have no friends that have been long time regulars, most of their circle play golf or rugger on a Saturday, they certainly don't frequent places like this, they occasionally pop up on social media to call long term grizzled supporters mildly abusive names, and seem determined to spend uncontrollable amounts of money in a desperate attempt to feel a connection, only to fail miserably when asked who our top scorer was when we won promotion in 2004.

Don't ask me how I know this, I just do, okay?

Comment

Plus, when you spend your non attending days pining for the return of days at St Andrews and Portman Road, and the TV deal gets the aforementioned frapping into their expensively purchased official club shop merchandise, then yes, this season is more depressing than a meal for one on Valentine's Day, while watching repeats of Top Gear and Storage Hunters. In your pants.

Comment

Storage Hunters is about the only one of those kind of shows I've ever been able to stomach, it always seems to be on in my barbers.

I never see that much of it mind, as I don't have a lot of hair to cut.

Comment

Television in a barbers? Too much distraction, you'd end up coming out of there looking like Chris Whyte.

Comment

They have music television on in my barbers'. I can't remember if it's the music television sound they have playing out, or something else. It's not that loud though, so luckily you can still hear your barber talk to you about things neither of you is interested in.

This season is a massive improvement on last. We're going home, and FC will have their new gaff finished before the summer. I've watched even less of the Prem than before, and paid even less attantion to the wank surrounding it than before. I can imagine that for those who are longstanding matchgoing fans of Prem teams it could be a bit extra horrific this season.

Comment

Wish my barbers did have tv. it has constant Talksport...

Is this season depressing? Only at the top of the English, and only (relative to all the other years) if Southampton blow it.

Mind you I grimaced and chuntered when I saw Celtic's 1st 2 scorers on weds...

Comment

Speaking of depressing realizations the Beeb had this feature on their website about a week ago which figured out how long you would have to work (based on your current salary) in order to earn as much as one of the highest paid players in the world.

By my (or rather their) calculations I would have had to have started work in the 15th century and lived half a millenium to have earned in my lifetime the equivalent of what Ronaldo makes in just a single year.

Lets just say I wasn't super motivated at work for the following couple of days.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                            Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission
                            well aren't all match going PL fans over 45?
                            Nah, there's a lot more kids, teens and twentysomethings at games than reports would have you believe.
                            I think the PL's own figures give the average age of their crowd as 43 and rising.
                            It's definitely an older person's game in the Premier these day, due to the sheer cost of it, but I wonder how much the age figures are skewed by extremely long standing season tickets which have passed from hand to hand. I know at Anfield for example there are thousands and thousands of season tickets which have stayed within families rather than being given up when the original holder gets too old/disillusioned/dead/smacked on the head by wayward Steve G passes to attend. It also restricts the number of new season tickets coming onto the market.

Back on topic last season top of the Premier was probably more attractive to the casual viewer as there was a genuine 3-way title battle (including plucky little underdogs Liverpool), the football, I think, was better than this year (particularly from the Merseyside two) and Man Utd delighted the neutrals with their ineptness.

Comment

The last post hints at the truth. Last season was atypically interesting at the top end of the Prem. This one is merely a version to type.

And as many others have pointed out, the top end of the Premiership may be the highest profile bit of Football, but it is also a mere drop in the ocean. What happens there isn't enough on its own to write off an entire season as depressing.

Comment

Matronly Turkish woman probably still going strong, in fairness.

Edit- in reply to a post 2 pages back thinking it was the most recent. Think I'll leave it though, as it has a pleasing bizarre spam email randomness like this.

Comment

More depressing than usual? Hell yeah.

Not only has our (Horsham FC) planning application for the mythical New Ground been turned down by the council despite it being recommended for approval by the council's own planners, but we're also suffering on the pitch and bottom of Ryman Div 1 South and looking like being relegated to the Sussex County league for the first time since the 1940s.

Football sucks big time.

Comment

Nesta Arantes do Nascimento wrote: Matronly Turkish woman probably still going strong, in fairness.

Edit- in reply to a post 2 pages back thinking it was the most recent. Think I'll leave it though, as it has a pleasing bizarre spam email randomness like this.
                                    I hope so, she was really nice, but she was extremely matronly, and It will be down to the NHS and blood pressure tablets.

Comment

wiblflibl wrote: More depressing than usual? Hell yeah.

Not only has our (Horsham FC) planning application for the mythical New Ground been turned down by the council despite it being recommended for approval by the council's own planners, but we're also suffering on the pitch and bottom of Ryman Div 1 South and looking like being relegated to the Sussex County league for the first time since the 1940s.

Football sucks big time.
                                      Where are you playing at the moment?

Comment

Janik wrote: The last post hints at the truth. Last season was atypically interesting at the top end of the Prem. This one is merely a version to type.

And as many others have pointed out, the top end of the Premiership may be the highest profile bit of Football, but it is also a mere drop in the ocean. What happens there isn't enough on its own to write off an entire season as depressing.
                                        well yes, and a three way title charge between Chelsea, Man city and Liverpool is football's equivalent of being caught between Mao tse tung, chang Kai shek, and the japanese. Someone has to win, but no-one wins really.

Comment

The names in the above post are interchangeable with:- Arsenal, Manchester United and Spurs.

Comment

I'm not sure. A russian oligarch, a medievalist slave state, and the opening of the gates of hell. Steven gerrard's slip made him football's version of Stanislav petrov

Comment

The similarities vastly outweigh the differences. 'no-one wins' holds as much for these as the other possibilities.

Comment

hmm Luis suarez, steven Gerrard, and Brendan Rodgers winning the league? Then there are Liverpool Fans, and the smaller group of Liverpool fans who aren't television pundits. They're like japan. They need to have the boot kept on their neck or we'll all suffer, and it's good that steven gerrard subconsciously recognized that

Comment

From an Everton perspective, definitely more depressing, and it could get worse. We've been losing, the football's been mostly shit and you get the sense that we're falling apart.

The top of the table seems light years away so I've long since stopped caring which of the bigger clubs wins it. So long as it's not Liverpool of course.

I decided a couple of years ago to stop attending London matches as they were too expensive - and we'd nearly always lose - so I've only attended 2 matches this season. West Ham in the Cup which was brilliant and excellent value at £25 and Lille in the Europa League, which was a crap game, but quite a fun day out.

Incidentally, the cost of that trip, including ticket, Eurotunnel fare, petrol money from London to Lille and back, came to £60. That's about the same as I'd have paid to watch us lose at Arsenal.

On the plus side, I've seen more of Dulwich Hamlet, which is a pleasant distraction as I get to spend the afternoon with some mates and have the added bonus of not caring whether they win or lose. Plus, I get to walk home afterwards.

Comment

You know, I could just about see a case made for Spurs or even Arsenal being different, but Man United are the BRC-est of all BRCs. No one outside of Man United supporters would see them challenging for the title against Chelsea/Man City/Liverpool as anything other than a snoozefest.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X