Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this season even more depressing than usual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoying Norwich in the Championship far more than the miserable drudgery that was last season in the Prem. The performances have varied from sublime to horrific, often in the same 90 minutes, but at least there is some enjoyment and suspense in a far more varied and human scale league.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
      You're just getting old you miserable cunts. Get over it.
      On every other thread these days, you can set your stopwatch for this comment.
      is that a reflection on the comment, or on the threads though?

Comment

Dunno, I must be getting old.

Comment

That someone thinks that Jamie Redknapp is still a distinctive voice in sport enough to allow him before a camera, forgetting that you can hear more distinctive voices coming out of your bum after a potent curry and accompanying beers.

The subsequent voices that fart away after Mourinho's latest cascade of verbal shit, saying that when people call it out for the cuntish gubbins it truly is, it is less a legitimate comment on his arseholery and more proof of the power of the man's charisma and his ability to create discussion, debate and joyous upheaval. Because we like, in their view, a nasty type that shakes up life and gives it spice. Yes, there are indeed nasty types who shake up life and give it spice. They're called convicts.

What is most depressing - to me, at any rate - are the increasing number (with the passing of time, obviously) of new fans jumping on board clubs based on nothing but their current success/status/wealth, as though these can be the only criteria for supporting a team. (And, subsequent to this, the misplaced loyalty these followers then believe they have to show toward players whose behaviour should warrant nothing but universal castigation. But the 'football as moral cesspit' debate is a separate subject, I guess...)

Once you get used to the possibility that these people need to jump that bandwagon because they need something like a successful club to fill a hole in their lives they themselves fail to do, and that their lives are so dull and shallow that it's the only thing that could give them any affirmation or superiority over others who would otherwise be better than them, it becomes a little easier to take.

Comment

every chelsea game was like having a horse sit on your head, and shitting on your face as it got up.
            Haha!

Comment

Who are these people who are following new clubs? I don't know anyone who isn't following the club they started following when they were 7 years old. The only man city fan I know, started following them in 1985, and the only chelsea fans I know are 50 years old.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
                Originally posted by Jah Womble
                I think it's OTF really. I do feel that it gets a bit 'yelling at clouds' here sometimes. Usually when reading one of Rogin's latest 'angry dad/Daily Star' threadstarters.

I've not met any of these new-club bods, either; I've only know one person to ever 'swap' clubs, and he went from Watford, to Arsenal, then to Everton, and then finally, goodness knows why, he alighted on Ipswich where I believe he remains.

Even the Chelsea fans I know (and am related to) are lifelongers. Members of the Waterford branch of the Chelsea supporters club, no less. Do we have any Irish Chelsea fans on here? Seems a straight Liverpool/Man U split.

Comment

via vicaria wrote:
                  Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
                  Originally posted by Jah Womble
                  I think it's OTF really. I do feel that it gets a bit 'yelling at clouds' here sometimes. Usually when reading one of Rogin's latest 'angry dad/Daily Star' threadstarters.

I've not met any of these new-club bods, either; I've only know one person to ever 'swap' clubs, and he went from Watford, to Arsenal, then to Everton, and then finally, goodness knows why, he alighted on Ipswich where I believe he remains.

Even the Chelsea fans I know (and am related to) are lifelongers. Members of the Waterford branch of the Chelsea supporters club, no less. Do we have any Irish Chelsea fans on here? Seems a straight Liverpool/Man U split.
                  The Irish BRCers on here often say how few Chelsea fans there are in the Irish Republic but those that there are seems to mainly be celebrities, from the President, though ex-players like Paul McGrath and Jim Beglin to Roddy Doyle and Dermot Morgan (RIP)

Comment

On the west Cork caravan site we used to holiday in as kids in the 80s, I remember befriending a Chelsea fan. I always got the impression all the bigger London clubs had a certain amount of Irish support.

Comment

There are certainly plenty of Irish supporters club flags on display around the Bridge.

Comment

The Irish BRCers on here often say how few Chelsea fans there are in the Irish Republic but those that there are seems to mainly be celebrities, from the President, though ex-players like Paul McGrath and Jim Beglin to Roddy Doyle and Dermot Morgan (RIP)

those people are kind of of an age though. beglin is 51, morgan would be 60, and the other two are halfway in between. I'd saw that there are quite a few under the age of 18, but very few over that age. Michael D spent several years living in london, and likes to go to matches. (he's been president of Galway utd) (Jose and roy also turned up)

There's a weird QPR thing going on. They were very popular with irish people in london of a certain age, and they had fans in Ireland via relatives.

In my class in school in say 1986 it was about 40% man utd 35% liverpool, then there were some arsenal (who had three or four irish players) and a couple of everton fans. The only person I ever knew to change clubs changed from Man utd to arsenal because at that point, Arsenal had more irish players. (god be with the days when big red clubs were competing for Irish hearts by having several irish players)

There are certainly plenty of Irish supporters club flags on display around the Bridge

well aren't all match going PL fans over 45?

Comment

Arsenal's Irish connection is also down, considerably, to the area in which they play having a very large Irish population in the Seventies and Eighties.

Comment

yeah, but even ten years ago the irish pubs up by finsbury park resembled those fossils of sea shells you find up on top of mountains. ten years ago you'd see little old ladies, with strong west of ireland accents getting the bus, and a much smaller number of old men buying bottles of white lightning, from the matronly turkish woman i the corner shop, but I wonder how many of those people are still alive.

See also Sunderland, wolves, and spurs

Comment

I quite like 'em (those pubs, that is), but that's just me.

Of course both Arsenal's crowd and immediate catchment area has gentrified a lot of those people away from matchday attendance.

Comment

Nah, there's a lot more kids, teens and twentysomethings at games than reports would have you believe.

Comment

I used to play in the old triangle on non-match sundays, and the people were coming there from further and further away. It was like the church that tony takes meadow to in the Sopranos. Full of old people who were travelling in from the suburban houses they moved to keep the last vestiges of the old community alive. One thing though was that you were more likely to hear connemara Irish in that pub, than in any pub in Galway city. (bar one or two)

I think we went to the old triangle after we went to watch that man utd arsenal fa youth cup game. Lets face it, it was the only way we were going to see the inside of the emirates without selling a kidney

Comment

Nocturnal Submission wrote:
                                    Nah, there's a lot more kids, teens and twentysomethings at games than reports would have you believe.
                                    I think the PL's own figures give the average age of their crowd as 43 and rising.

Comment

We went to the 12 Pins on Seven Sisters Road for a late one, certainly. Is the Auld Triangle the one on a side street very near the old ground? Used to be less Irish and called The Plimsoll, funnily enough.

I have actually been to the Emirates for a Real Game since, and just about managed to stay solvent.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                                        Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission
                                        I think the PL's own figures give the average age of their crowd as 43 and rising.
                                        Yes, that sounds about right, certainly at Chelsea, but it also means of course that you've got 20,000-plus below Colm's figure, roughly speaking.

Comment

You remember that 2012-13 season when United last won it?

No, neither do I.

There's a reason for that. It's because their "Premier League" winning team was, let's be generous, unmemorable. Van Persie scored all the goals and well, that's why you don't remember them, because you almost remember it as a moment when he scored for Arsenal, then remember his betrayal, then then become sad.

Comment

It's just that you've blocked it out, because it sickened you.

There's a scientific term for that, of course, though I'm fucked if I can remember what it is.

Comment

It was the plimsoll. it was bought by a man from Cill Ciaran, which is the next parish to carna. The owner knew my mother and my uncle. I was at his daughter's funeral there a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure we went in there. The twelve pins is a barn.

NS, I'm not sure that's how it works. I think you're thinking of the median age. an average of 43 could mean that half the crowd are 13 years old, and half of them are 73, or that every single person was born on the same day in 1972. But usually it means that most people are within a relatively small spread on either side. I doubt however that the age of premier league fans are 'normally distributed'.

I get the impression from reading about the subject is that there is a huge overlap between current season ticket holders, and the people who held season tickets at the start of the premier league era. (one that declines year by year.)

Comment

Green Calx wrote: It's just that you've blocked it out, because it sickened you.

There's a scientific term for that, of course, though I'm fucked if I can remember what it is.
                                                no i don't think that's it. there's less swearing in psychology/psychiatry than that

I bet rogin remembers the 14th may 2011 though.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote: I have actually been to the Emirates for a Real Game since, and just about managed to stay solvent.
                                                  Same here. To watch Ireland, oddly enough.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: It was the plimsoll. it was bought by a man from Cill Ciaran, which is the next parish to carna. The owner knew my mother and my uncle. I was at his daughter's funeral there a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure we went in there. The twelve pins is a barn.

NS, I'm not sure that's how it works. I think you're thinking of the median age. an average of 43 could mean that half the crowd are 13 years old, and half of them are 73, or that every single person was born on the same day in 1972. But usually it means that most people are within a relatively small spread on either side. I doubt however that the age of premier league fans are 'normally distributed'.

I get the impression from reading about the subject is that there is a huge overlap between current season ticket holders, and the people who held season tickets at the start of the premier league era. (one that declines year by year.)
                                                    Eh! You said, with tongue slightly in cheek certainly, but you said that ALL PL attendees were over 45 and then Harry said that 43 was the average. That means that an awful lot of a crowd of 40,000 people are under 45, unless they're all 46-year-olds with a couple of thousand babies in the restricted view seats!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X