Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this season even more depressing than usual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mourinho factor just feels like someone pissing on your dinner. Man City failing to make a race of it. Man U just becoming rather dull. Arsenal and Spurs (and maybe Liverpool) chasing that final CL spot that neither really deserves.

So depressing that I've basically stopped following football.

Comment

I often have an anti-football hiatus in the season after a World Cup, especially an excellent World Cup, but this time the gulf between an enjoyable tournament and the domestic shitfest of greed and ego just feels unbearable.

Comment

Other than last season, and Moyes making things interesting, how is it that much different up at t'top to the last 5-6 years or so? For neutrals at least, there's not been anyone worth rooting for at the top of the game for years.

Comment

Very like Man Utd two years ago, Chelsea are walking away with it despite not actually being all that good.

Comment

The transfer window was depressing, but not for the obvious reasons. It was actually interesting in its own unstarry low-key way, but the chorus of 'boring' usually came from the same old duffers who, for reasons I can't get my head around, get orgasms from seeing unfeasibly large amounts of money being spunked around. If they're that turned on by huge wodges of dosh they can always keep aside the Sunday Times Rich List supplement the next time it's out and have the occasional wank at that.

Comment

Also there's plenty more 'season' outside the top 4. Yer Brentford and Bournemouth fans wouldn't find 2014/15 depressing so far.

(I should say I can understand the lack of a title race being less fun than even what you normally get, just sayin' there's good things elsewhere is all)

Comment

The only thing that might have some redeeming quality would be Spurs breaking the top four and Harry Kane finishing as top scorer, and Burnley staying up. Sadly I can see the top four being the usual suspects (Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Arsenal. In that order. ) and QPR surviving on the last day with a dull as fuck 1-0 win.

Comment

via vicaria wrote: Also there's plenty more 'season' outside the top 4. Yer Brentford and Bournemouth fans wouldn't find 2014/15 depressing so far.

(I should say I can understand the lack of a title race being less fun than even what you normally get, just sayin' there's good things elsewhere is all)
                  Yes. The Championship promotion race is far more exciting, and seeing Wigan go down would be hilarious, which is something I would never have said two seasons ago.

Comment

Wigan, Mackay and the Oystons all potentially going down makes this a better Championship season than most.

Comment

As a Saints fan, my depression hasn't kicked in yet. It will happen when the top 4 Sean predicts above inevitably comes to be - the later in the season we're leaving being squeezed out by the usual suspects, the worse I'll feel when it occurs.

And Spurs being lauded as the saviours of English football because 1 (admittedly excellent) player has emerged through the ranks this season grates when you look through the list of home-grown nippers who've made a first team debut for us this season.

Comment

The only thing that might have some redeeming quality would be Spurs breaking the top four and Harry Kane finishing as top scorer, and Burnley staying up. Sadly I can see the top four being the usual suspects (Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Arsenal. In that order. ) and QPR surviving on the last day with a dull as fuck 1-0 win.
                        This, obviously.

What is most depressing - to me, at any rate - are the increasing number (with the passing of time, obviously) of new fans jumping on board clubs based on nothing but their current success/status/wealth, as though these can be the only criteria for supporting a team. (And, subsequent to this, the misplaced loyalty these followers then believe they have to show toward players whose behaviour should warrant nothing but universal castigation. But the 'football as moral cesspit' debate is a separate subject, I guess...)

Comment

And Spurs being lauded as the saviours of English football because 1 (admittedly excellent) player has emerged through the ranks this season grates when you look through the list of home-grown nippers who've made a first team debut for us this season.
                          Errm, nobody's lauding us as 'the saviours of English football', trust me on that one.

I think Southampton have received plenty of dues for their performances, have they not? (Especially in the wake of half their squad having signed for Liverpool.)

Comment

why don't we call this thread "I'm starting to feel the winter in my bones." or "Didn't I used to have more hair." or "Summers were warmer when I were a lad."

I seem to remember everyone saying that football was really depressing when Man utd were winning the league, with every Man utd team being worse than the last, and people scratching themselves saying things like "This man utd team that's in the european cup final is even worse than the team that got relegated".

You people obviously forget what things were actually like 10 years ago. sure chelsea are winning the league now, but back then every chelsea game was like having a horse sit on your head, and shitting on your face as it got up. Liverpool Chelsea games were wrist slittingly wretched, and the only entertainment was watching mourinho dousing a bag full of kittens with petrol and setting them alight in the post match interview.

You're just getting old you miserable cunts. Get over it.

Comment

via vicaria wrote: Also there's plenty more 'season' outside the top 4. Yer Brentford and Bournemouth fans wouldn't find 2014/15 depressing so far.

Most enjoyable season I've ever had supporting Brentford - until the news on Tuesday morning threatened to put a gigantic spanner in the works.

Comment

It's February and already Spurs have been deep crisis at some points, and at other points looked like they're not far off challenging the big teams with a manager who is finally going to be the one to bridge the gap.

So no more depressing than usual. In fact, it's very much the typical season.

Comment

I'm enjoying it, but then I don't really care about the superleague jobbins.

Down in Div 4, it's cracking. Different leader every week and some weeks it's the team I support.

Comment

I'm capable of thinking about football outside what suits my own wanky football team and I'm certainly struggling not to find the top level very boring. Will Arsenal finish 3rd or 4th. Who fucking cares? All I care about is whether Wenger is prepared to raise his push on Mourinho to some punches.

Comment

via vicaria wrote: Wigan, Mackay and the Oystons all potentially going down makes this a better Championship season than most.
                                      That still leaves a slot open for Tan United too. Unlikely I know but their current form shows that if anyone can make it so, it's Russell Slade.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                                        Originally posted by via vicaria
                                        Wigan, Mackay and the Oystons all potentially going down makes this a better Championship season than most.
                                        That still leaves a slot open for Tan United too. Unlikely I know but their current form shows that if anyone can make it so, it's Russell Slade.
                                        There's a number of teams who could reasonably, deservedly fill that third spot alongside the nailed-on twosome:

- Rotherham (Steve Evans)
                                        - Millwall (Ian Holloway, primarily)
                                        - Tan United (as you say)
                                        - Leeds, because Leeds

It'll probably be someone I generally like, like Brighton or Charlton going down though. Mind you if Charlton go down, I might get up there once in a while, as the bus goes from the end of my road to the Valley, and L1 prices might be bearable

Comment

We're no longer friends.

Comment

Top-flight football grows ever more predictable in England. There aren't many surprises in the league. This season Southampton & West Ham are doing better than most people would have predicted. I'd say all the other teams are doing as you would expect. I doubt this is unrelated to the increasing disparity in financial firepower.

D2 continues to be unpredictable though. I thought Wigan would be in with a chance of promotion this season.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: We're no longer friends.
                                              There'll always be a Wealdstone, GO.

If you jettison Evans I can probably still forgive. I mean the Chuckle Brothers aren't a relegation-level offence.

Comment

I want Evans out more than anyone. One of the minor benefits of him fucking off would being able to see the same set of players more than once...

Comment

You're just getting old you miserable cunts. Get over it.
                                                  On every other thread these days, you can set your stopwatch for this comment.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X