Wearing pyjamas/dressing gowns outside the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe we got to the second page before Arthur Dent got a mention. Shame on all of you, except Stumpy of course.

I've not bought any slippers in ten years or more, instead using a pair of battered Reebok sandals around the house that, since they're technically outdoorwear anyway, can pass just fine if I happen to go traipsing off down the road in them.
    I've not really been a pyjama-wearer as such since I was about 15, but I still wear boxers in bed and, season depending, old t-shirts or longsleeved tops and occasionally tracksuit bottoms in the depths of winter (my room is freezing) — this is opening up a practically a thread in itself, I realise, but I'm faintly amazed at how many of you seem to sleep stark naked, judging by the comments about morning toilet runs/daughters above. Did I just grow up in a family of prudes, and also do you all have amazingly efficient circulation or just leave the central heating on all night?

Comment

I got these for Christmas. They are beautiful :

Comment

It's not an entirely new phenomenon.

I also seem to remember 80's psychobilly band Restless routinely wearing jim-jams on stage.

Comment

but I'm faintly amazed at how many of you seem to sleep stark naked, judging by the comments about morning toilet runs/daughters above.

I can only speak to myself, but I live in the northern part of mainland Europe and I'm married to somebody who grew up in Sweden.

And you know what that lot are like when it comes to nakedness. Wearing any sort of clothing in bed is simply not an option. It may even be illegal.

Comment

Fussbudget wrote: I love pyjamas. I practically live in them in the winter (well as long as I don't need to leave the house.)
            I'm in the pyjama camp, but that's just nasty. Pyjama wearing is only acceptable up to and including breakfast.

Comment

Nah, they're nice in the evening too. I normally change into them when I get home from work (which to be fair is usually around 8pm.)

If I'm staying home all day I might change into "house clothes" after breakfast, but I'm not sure it's much of an improvement as my pyjamas are much nicer than my house clothes.

Comment

I was always impressed that WH Auden only wore carpet slippers everywhere in his later years. Usually complemented by a shabby suit and that fantastic crumpled face, mind, rather than his jim-jams.

Comment

The current 'thing' with girls from 12 to 17 here is to wear nothing but sweat pants or pyjama bottoms, with fur-fringed moccasins or Birkenstocks. Consequently, a lot of people look like they just rolled out of bed.

Me, I wouldn't so much as take out the trash in sweat pants or slippers. What next...upholstered furniture on the front porch?

Comment

Er, what? What do you wear in the morning when you have your breakfast?
                    I'm always showered and dressed before I embark upon breakfast.

Pyjamas - nah, they ride up uncomfortably in bed (FWICR) and always look a bit, well, skanky outside of it.

As if my pyjamas look skanky. Obviously you need to buy snazzier ones.
                    You'll realise by my 'FWICR' ('from what I can recall') that I've not worn pyjamas for many years - possibly not since I was at school (which was well over three decades ago). I don't wear a great deal in bed, tbh.

I'll concede that pyjamas can look okay on a girl. (To me, anyway.)

Not buying this idea of walking up to the corner shop in yer jimmies, though. What in the world is that about?

Comment

You just don't understand trailer-park culture.

Comment

Clothes.

Comment

[quote=Jah Womble post=1013934]
                          Not buying this idea of walking up to the corner shop in yer jimmies, though. What in the world is that about?
                          I was thinking along similar lines. I very occasionally see somebody out and about in their nightwear, but they normally reeled back in pretty quickly by the person who was supposed to be looking after them.

My landlady was once dreadfully apologetic (and rightly so) about her state of undress when I ran into her as she was emptying her letterbox in her dressing gown and slippers. And this was in the communal hallway, i.e. outside her flat, but still indoors.

Comment

Actually, now that I think about it, I once got back out of bed at around midnight - to take the wheelie bins down to the road - wearing just my t-shirt and underwear. That's a benefit of the suburbs for you.

Comment

I haven't worn pyjamas since I was about 10, but Fussbudget's set are lovely.

Pyjamas have become a "thing" on US university campuses, particularly among "frat bros" and the women they hang out with. There is a guy on our block who hasn't realised that he graduated ten years ago, and still wears pyjama bottoms and flip flops when hanging out under his building's awning for his periodic cigarettes. When we lived in temporary housing in Murray Hill, it was not unusual for an entire table of graduates of Midwestern unis to be wearing pyjamas while drinking their "brunch" and watching college football.

Chin Gigante was to mobsters wearing sleepwear what JFK was to men not wearing hats

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: I haven't worn pyjamas since I was about 10, but Fussbudget's set are lovely.
                                I'd like to flag this sentence for whoever compiles the end of year best-of thread.

Comment

MsD wrote: If you wear slippers outside of the house, they become "outdoor shoes" which defeats the object of not treading outdoor shit (lit.) around your house. If you have separate slippers for indoor and outdoor use, fine.
                                  Exactly.

Comment

treibeis wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Jah Womble
                                    I was thinking along similar lines. I very occasionally see somebody out and about in their nightwear, but they normally reeled back in pretty quickly by the person who was supposed to be looking after them.
                                    Well I've never worn my jim-jams to the shop myself, but I can understand why you would, if you want to read your paper over breakfast. Otherwise you have to change into proper clothes before breakfast and then breakfast is ruined.

I do wear my pyjamas when taking the bins out, but if you're in sight of the house it doesn't really count as "leaving the house" in my book.

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                    Clothes.
                                    So you shower before breakfast, like Jah? Or do you wear the previous day's clothes?

Comment

Fussbudget wrote: So you shower before breakfast, like Jah? Or do you wear the previous day's clothes?
                                      I dunno about anyone else, but I definitely have 'house clothes', as in things I wouldn't wear in bed, but wouldn't wear to, say, go down the shops in. Mostly jogging bottoms, crappy tshirts etc. They tend to fulfil my pre-shower breakfast clothing slot, amongst other things (also fine to decorate in or take out the bins in, as I'm not bothered if they get raggedy).

Anyway back on topic, since I'm stingy and almost never put the heating on, I need an extra layer every now and then of an evening. There's that style of bedwear that gets classified as 'loungewear' on poncey websites, which avoids having to look like some old geezer out of the 1970s. Tend to prefer that to the birthday suit

Comment

Otherwise you have to change into proper clothes before breakfast and then breakfast is ruined.

You could always change back into your nightwear after you've returned from the shop. Without wishing to invite accusations of mentally undressing you, it surely can't take that long.

Comment

WOM wrote

The current 'thing' with girls from 12 to 17 here is to wear nothing but sweat pants or pyjama bottoms,
                                          "Nothing but"?

Where do you live, Tahiti?

Comment

which avoids having to look like some old geezer out of the 1970s.

Does this mean that many people go to bed dressed like Albert Steptoe? I've obviously been out of the country too long.

Comment

treibeis wrote: Otherwise you have to change into proper clothes before breakfast and then breakfast is ruined.

You could always change back into your nightwear after you've returned from the shop..
                                              What? That would just be decadent.

It might be worth adding at this point, if that wasn't obvious already, that pyjamas (and to a lesser extent breakfast) are pretty important things in my world. I am basically to sleepwear what EIM is to shitty Adidas trainers. I even have a pair with penguins on, which officially makes me Zoolander.

Comment

treibeis wrote: which avoids having to look like some old geezer out of the 1970s.

Does this mean that many people go to bed dressed like Albert Steptoe? I've obviously been out of the country too long.
                                                Whenever people talk about 'pyjamas' (there's just something about that word that seems overtly retro) this is the image I get in my head:

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: WOM wrote

The current 'thing' with girls from 12 to 17 here is to wear nothing but sweat pants or pyjama bottoms,
                                                  "Nothing but"?

Where do you live, Tahiti?
                                                  Heh. I was waiting (in the car) for my daughter after swimming yesterday when the absurdity really kicked in. We've had about 15 inches of snow over the past few days, and these girls are mucking out to the cars in open-backed furry slippers and track pants. In, what, three or four inches of snow. The well of teenagers' stupidity has no bottom, I've realized.

Tops-wise, it's all manner of hoodie. Some have a coat over it, but it's wide open in minus 9 degree weather. With wet hair.

Comment

The current 'thing' with girls from 12 to 17 here is to wear nothing but sweat pants or pyjama bottoms, with fur-fringed moccasins or Birkenstocks.

They do that here, but only when they're in hospital.

Whenever I read 'sweat pants', I always think of Karl Lagerfeld.

I don't particularly care for him, but that line à la "Sweat pants are a sign of defeat. People who wear sweat pants have lost control of their life' did make me chuckle.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X