Mistakes in matchday programmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More than just typos - although "Aldershot Twon" in the massive play off final programme a few years ago was a a proper typo disaster - but what about just general mistakes?

The Newport County write up on Shrewsbury from the last weekend contained two. Firstly the date the Shrews moved into their new ground (2004 in the programme; a few years premature) and then in a list of this year's fixtures they included a round 2 JP Trophy defeat to Northampton when we didn't even make it past round 1.

I'm not expecting proper journalism, but these are basic factual errors in an article that seems to have been mainly copied and pasted from other sources.

Anyone else got any examples of mistakes, including any real 'howlers'?

In the old days, they obviously had to have a stab in the dark at who was going to play in matches, in order to print the programme days in advance. I've still got the programme from the 1985 Cup Final which I remember looking at during the match and thinking Graeme Hogg (listed as number 6) had just been sent off, when it was Kevin Moran.

Comment

Graeme Hogg has such a 1980s footballer name, hasn't he.

Can't imagine Hoggy or Hoggo making it now.

Comment

I've been to a few games for which the programme editors have forgotten to change the squad lists or match details from the previous game, so you end up looking at what is apparently the Southport squad list but fail to recognise any of the names because you're actually looking at Aldershot's squad.

Comment

It's 'Plymouth Argyle', programme editors. Not 'Argyll', 'Argyl' or 'Argile'.

I can live with Notts County calling us 'Plymough' - it's the second part of our name that matters.

And while I'm at it we're not Portsmouth either.

Comment

In the old days, they obviously had to have a stab in the dark at who was going to play in matches, in order to print the programme days in advance. I've still got the programme from the 1985 Cup Final which I remember looking at during the match and thinking Graeme Hogg (listed as number 6) had just been sent off, when it was Kevin Moran.

so were you a liverpool fan or a man utd fan back then rogin?

Comment

Where did the whole "matchday" thing come from?

Comment

Funnily enough, Berbaslug (since you asked) my Dad was (and is) the Man United fan, I went to that final wanting them to lose having robbed us in the semi-final, but after the sending-off got sucked into the general atmosphere of not wanting Everton to do the double after all (they'd have been only the third team to do so after the war) so ended up cheering when Whiteside scored. Probably one of the worst Cup Finals of all time but I remember it with a lot of fondness.

Comment

Well, it seems like just the other day that i wrote about Hull v Newcastle match programme which printed the answers to a quiz with no questions.

Years ago, I had a letter in WSC after I found a Lincoln City v Crewe Alexandria programme from the early 70s that listed a player called 'Nipple' in the Crewe line-up (I'd not spotted this at the time because I was only 7). No such player could be traced on the internet, and in the next edition a letter suggested that as teams would have phoned ahead their line-ups, there must have been a misunderstanding at the Sincil Bank end and the player was probably called Nicholl. You can just imagine the snickering in the City office after hanging up. "Do you think he's really called Nipple?" "Who cares, let's print it anyway."

Comment

I found this one looking for things for the team photos thread.

The perils of sourcing your programme photos from google image search

Comment

Hahaha, that's brilliant. The scary thing is that I looked at that photo and only thought there was one thing wrong with the line-up to start with, as my subconscious clearly took a brief squiz at the giant 80-strong heaving man-heap and indeed told itself "yes, that looks roughly like the size of Man City's squad".

Comment

Southport Zeb wrote: I've been to a few games for which the programme editors have forgotten to change the squad lists or match details from the previous game, so you end up looking at what is apparently the Southport squad list but fail to recognise any of the names because you're actually looking at Aldershot's squad.
                        Way back before moving away, I used to watch a lot of Northern Premier League games, this'll be the HFS Loans era I guess - but back then the programme editors quite often also forgot to change the cut&paste history bit of the away team aswell from the previous week aswell. So you'd turn up and be told that Stalybridge were the oldest team in the league and that the unusual name comes from being named in honour of Queen Victoria

Comment

NUFC claim that John Carver writes his own programme notes, when everybody knows that if you gave him a pen he would probably try and barter it for a meat and potato pie.

Comment

Southport Zeb wrote: I've been to a few games for which the programme editors have forgotten to change the squad lists or match details from the previous game, so you end up looking at what is apparently the Southport squad list but fail to recognise any of the names because you're actually looking at Aldershot's squad.
                            Speaking as a programme editor, reading this made me start sweating. I don't think I've done it myself - yet.

Comment

Couldn't tell you who or when it was, but I did see a programme once apologise for printing a prize wordsearch that included two spelling mistakes.

Comment

TonTon wrote: Where did the whole "matchday" thing come from?
                                Because I wrote football programmes and thought people might think I meant television programmes.

Comment

imp wrote: Well, it seems like just the other day that i wrote about Hull v Newcastle match programme which printed the answers to a quiz with no questions.

Years ago, I had a letter in WSC after I found a Lincoln City v Crewe Alexandria programme from the early 70s that listed a player called 'Nipple' in the Crewe line-up (I'd not spotted this at the time because I was only 7). No such player could be traced on the internet, and in the next edition a letter suggested that as teams would have phoned ahead their line-ups, there must have been a misunderstanding at the Sincil Bank end and the player was probably called Nicholl. You can just imagine the snickering in the City office after hanging up. "Do you think he's really called Nipple?" "Who cares, let's print it anyway."
                                  Yes I remember reading about both of those. I presume Crewe's appellation in this post is ironic.

Comment

Bury's is frequently awful. For the game versus Tranmere, we had 'WELCOME TO OUR VISITORS PLYMOUTH ARGYLE' above the pen pics and they somehow managed to spell the word 'attendees' incorrectly twice in one sentence in another edition.

Comment

From yesterday's programne, Bristol Rovers reckon Shrewsbury were in the Championship in 1997. I must have missed that.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                                        I've been to a few games for which the programme editors have forgotten to change the squad lists or match details from the previous game,
                                        Had something similar in a Barry programme earlier this season when Cardiff Met had a history eerily similar to Cefn Druids, including being one of the oldest clubs in the world and playing in Cefn.

Comment

The 1964 Rangers v Celtic programme dated 7th March 1694. The printer obviously wasn't working there four years earlier.

Comment

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...-final-5829595

Comment

So here's an interesting sentence from the Shrerwsbury v Walsall programme I bought at the weekend. From an article about the Rooney Rule and the rarity of black managers:

"Brighton's only non-white manager in the Premier League is Brighton's Chris Hughton."

I'm not sure if it's terrible sub-editing or was garbled from the outset.

Comment

In 1979 the match programme for Newport v Derby had one of the Newport player’s names wrong (Roddy James instead of Roddy Jones).

The game was Roddy’s testimonial.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                  More than just typos - although "Aldershot Twon" in the massive play off final programme a few years ago was a a proper typo disaster - but what about just general mistakes?
                                                  Tickets are good source of these too...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X