Favourite board games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite board games

Gangster Octopus wrote: A couple of weeks ago...
    Hah! At least I'm consistent. If somewhat calmer than I was...

The only thing worse than playing board games is playing cards.
    I have bad dreams about smashing people's heads into tables repeatedly while screaming at them it's a fucking boat, it's a fucking boat" when they fail to recognise a beautifully-drawn Pictionary item that they think looks like a hat.

The only board game I've ever enjoyed is the Game of Life. And only then because it only lasted 20 minutes and you got yachts and stuff.
    The worst board game in the world though, is Trivial Pursuit. I hate Triv more than I can say. It's not that I'm no good at it (although I am scarred by the memory of my father beating me at it when I was twelve. I mean, twelve? How the hell was I supposed to know who was Prime- Minister of Burundi in 1970 for feck's sake?!)

It's more the total killing rage that washes over me when people call those triangle-things "cheeses." AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

For this reason I have invented altternative rules.

Anyone who suggests playing Triv - administer one good punch in the face

Anyone who agrees - administer good punches in the face

Anyone who sits down to play - Administer the sort of beating you only ever see in the news. Then divide the game-board into the same number of pieces as contestants, insert them into the bodily cavity of your choice and suggest calmly that everyone settles down and watches the snooker.

Did I mention that I really hate board games?

Comment

Favourite board games

Do those relationship-wrecking games still exist (at least outside of films)? The ones called "FessUp" or "Honesty" or "Decree nisi" or whatever? Where you have questions like "You have to sleep with one of your in-laws. If you don't, your children will die. Which one would you sleep with? And why? And in which position?"?

Why on earth do people want to 'play' things like that?

Comment

Favourite board games

Best all-round game, easy to teach, great introduction to Euro games, gets the combination of luck and skill just right and involves plenty of player interaction: Settlers Of Catan
        Best game for two players (though obv it plays with more): Carcassonne (also plays quickly, as you effectively set it up while playing)
        Best game of medium/heavy complexity involving the construction of coal mines in Rochdale: Brass
        Best game to play in polite company when you can’t swear and bitch: Dixit (I mean you can swear and bitch, but c’mon)
        Best co-operative game: Forbidden Island
        Best old-school game: Judge Dredd (1982 Games Workshop)
        Best worker placement game: The Manhattan Project
        Best game for 6+ players where you get to point guns at each other: Cash n’ Guns
        Best game involving squabbling penguins, that also happens to be an ideal introduction to the principles of Go: Hey, That’s My Fish
        Best quick n’ dirty game: Love Letter
        Best trashy points-scoring game: Marriage (a ha ha ha ha! Sorry) Smash Up
        Random ‘I love it but it doesn’t fit into any other category’ award: 7 Wonders
        Way over-rated: Ticket To Ride

I think that about covers it. Apart from not mentioning the other hundred or so other games I’ve played that are also brilliant.

Comment

Favourite board games

Hobbes is bang on the money about Trivial Pursuit tho' but.

Meanwhile:

For your consideration:

Armageddon
          Junta
          The Sigma File

Comment

Favourite board games

And while we're on about Kingmaker - I refer you to a comment made by some bloke I used to know in the first post on this page:

http://www.onetouchfootball.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001976;p=3

Comment

Favourite board games

I've genuinely never heard of most of these board games.
              I thought there were about 10 or so.

Comment

Favourite board games

Rab Florence is yer man for all things cardboard.

Comment

Favourite board games

That's the thing, Hobbes. You don't hate board games (or at least you don't know if you do). You hate crappy old ones. Trivial Pursuit isn't emblematic of board games, it's just a really, really bad board game.

Now, given your temperament, you're probably not exactly going to be enjoying Advanced Squad Leader any time soon, but there are a ton of well-designed games you'd probably enjoy.

Comment

Favourite board games

Seeing as no one's been that guy yet:

Chess

(Just kidding, waaaaay too hard. Draughts/checkers and backgammon are where it's at)

Comment

Favourite board games

I reckon hobbes needs to play The Resistance.

Comment

Favourite board games

Yeah, that's not a bad suggestion.

Comment

Favourite board games

RoboRally. Especially in a group of friends who love nothing more than reroute your plan straight over the edge of the board into the pit by a well-timed little nudge.

Comment

Favourite board games

The Resistance is on my birthday list.

Comment

Favourite board games

I like sitting down to play board games. It's an abnormally sociable experience these days.

We bought one called Linkee at xmas, everyone had fun playing it, we carried on drinking and chatting after and a fine time was had by all.

I bought a Family Fortunes game at a charity shop, with authentic "uh-uh!" buzzer for incorrect answers. Looking forward to getting that out at a gathering soon.

Comment

Favourite board games

Good list from Mumpo. Dixit is quite a good game, though you need to either expand your range of picture cards at some point (or take a long break in between playing it).

Gloom is still one of my favorites too, but it does take the right crowd sometimes.

Anybody eying Pandemic Legacy, yet?

(Risk Legacy looks quite fun, though it is still Risk alas.)

Comment

Favourite board games

I bought a Family Fortunes game at a charity shop, with authentic "uh-uh!" buzzer for incorrect answers.

When I ws an English teacher, I was often forced to play Taboo (it was part of the curriculum for the advanced students).

The only thing people were interested in - and these weren't your typical higher-education students; a lot of them they were 40- to 50-year-old middle managers, scientists and lawyers - was squeezing the pink whoopee cushion (ooh, vicar, I think I'm going to have to have a lie-down) when somebody said one of the forbidden words.

Comment

Favourite board games

Anybody eying Pandemic Legacy, yet?
                                    Eyeing it, as I like the way Rob Daviau designs games, but probably not going to buy it any time soon. I've got a bit of a backlog going.

Comment

Favourite board games

Maybe drinking games are for hobbes. I only know one. 6-8 of you sat around a table, one starts to count loud 1, the next one clockwise goes 2, next one 3, everything with seven (7, 17, 27) or which can be divided by 7 (21, 35) the person doesn't say the number but "bull" instead and the counting is switched counter clockwise to the next "bull" when it's clockwise again, and so forth. Whoever gets it wrong has to down a shot, and you start from 1 again.

You could play that with yourself hobbes and have hours of fun.

Comment

Favourite board games

I'll stick to 'Spoof'.

Comment

Favourite board games

Two good ones that are easy to pack for travelling with kids: Bananagrams and Farkle.

The first is like a free-form version of Scrabble, without the board. And Farkle is basically 10,000, with a convenient cup to carry the dice.

For tabletop games, Mancala (African game) and Crokinole (Canadian game) are excellent.

Comment

Favourite board games

The people on the next table in the pub were playing Cards Against Humanity last night. They didn't look like they were having a huge hoot, but they seemed mildly amused.

All young*, hipsterish blokes.

*late 20s/early 30s?

Comment

Favourite board games

Card Against Humanity appeals to me not one jot. If I want to play a 'talk about the cards' game I'll play Snake Oil, or Dixit, or Articulate... anything else, basically.

Comment

Favourite board games

Now, given your temperament
                                                How very dare you! Are you suggesting I have a short atte... ooh. What's that?

Maybe drinking games are for hobbes. I only know one.
                                                Sounds like Fizzbuzz. Multiples of 3 you say fizz instead. Multiple of 7 you say buzz. Multiples of both are fizzbuzz.
                                                We used to play it with the punishment being a hit from a bong. You only had to lose 3 or so times before you just lost every time.
                                                At that point we'd start playing "Pig."

I reckon hobbes needs to play The Resistance.
                                                I just got about a third of the way through the rules on Wiki before slipping into a short coma.

Comment

Favourite board games

Yeah, fizz buzz is very common drinking game. We played with the variant that if it gets to 21 you make up a new rule (skip a player on prime numbers, that sort of thing).

Comment

Favourite board games

If we're on games in general, one that we play with the kids in the car is to name a country (France) and then the next person has to name a country starting with the last letter (Estonia) then (Albania)...etc.

Hint: memorize all the countries that begin with A.

When you run out of countries of the world (there's only 40 or 45 tops), do cities.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X