• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite board games

1 Colditz
    2 Balderdash
    3 Trivial Pursuit
    4 Scattergories
    5 Axis and Allies (but too long to set up and play very often)

Comment

Favourite board games

Whenever I feel like mentally wrestling with the complexities of Hindu philosophy, I get out the Snakes and Ladders board.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakes_and_Ladders#History

Comment

Favourite board games

The Great Game of Britain. Travel round the country by train visiting a number of tourist attractions. Absolutely superb. My parents still have the one we had when I was a kid and we always still play it now with my kids when we go there. There was a London Underground version which we also had too (and they still have) but it wasn't quite as good.

It doesn't exist any more, but perhaps it is related to this Ticket to Ride one you're all going on about and which I have never heard of

Comment

Favourite board games

Linus can you share a link for the online version of Risk you referred to? Thanks.

Comment

Favourite board games

Uncle Ethan wrote: Linus can you share a link for the online version of Risk you referred to? Thanks.
            +1

Comment

Favourite board games

I'm another shout for Axis & Allies - there is an online versions (free aswell, or at least used to be) - and it has AI opponents so no need to play with anyone else that might ruin your fun.

Hours of fun, unless you're the Soviet Union, then it's just painful.

And Kissopoly.

Comment

Favourite board games

I hate boardgames.

Comment

Favourite board games

Spurs' Belgians are big Settlers of Catan Players

as are the Green Bay Packers

Comment

Favourite board games

hobbes wrote: I hate boardgames.
                    hobbesian!

Comment

Favourite board games

Friend of mine likes to collect board games. Spent an evening with beers and (if I remember) Pandemic, Dune (the most complicated board game I've played in a while) and Game of Thrones (took one look at the size of the instructions, gave up). Next stop is to find early copies of Ulcers ("the game of personnel management") and that one about selling art - Masterpiece?

Comment

Favourite board games

Masterpiece is a staple of xmas at Ms Felicity's folks' house.

I've been going there since I was 19, so am now extremely familiar with it. Not as familiar as her, as they played it all through her childhood.

We are now old enough and well enough travelled to have had several museum moments coming to a sudden halt in front of a painting and blurting out- 'that's in Masterpiece!'

When I first started going there I bonded with her (then very) wee brother over endless games of Risk.

Comment

Favourite board games

I've still got this somewhere - it's as bad as it looks...

Comment

Favourite board games

Crusoe wrote: Friend of mine likes to collect board games. Spent an evening with beers and (if I remember) Pandemic, Dune (the most complicated board game I've played in a while) and Game of Thrones (took one look at the size of the instructions, gave up). Next stop is to find early copies of Ulcers ("the game of personnel management") and that one about selling art - Masterpiece?
                            I had the game Ulcers as a kid, was surprisingly fun. two of the staff looked like the two Ronnies and I suspect the roles assigned to characters of each gender are incredibly sexist - can't quite remember for certain but I think all the secretaries are women and all the managing directors are men for example.

We also do Mapominoes and feel similarly about the disappointing counties edition. lack of quality on the cards in that one too - they should at least have included a flag/crest on each. Does it count as a board game though, if there is no board, only cards?

Comment

Favourite board games

Also really used to like Mike Read's Pop Quiz until my mate's auntie threw it out.

Scirroco
                              Judge Dredd
                              Badly flawed, but still have love for Monopoly
                              Kings and Things*
                              The Awful Green Things From Outer Space
                              Blood Royale
                              Fury of Dracula
                              Cosmic Encounter

Comment

Favourite board games

Over the Christmas period I was gifted and bought Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror, Settlers of Catan, Pandemic & Hey, That's My Fish!, but still have to get any of them to table, not least because the Axis & Allies Global session my group started back in October hasn't quite finished.

I'll stop before I tell you all about how my Japan has conquered India, Australia, China, Hawaii & Siberia, but the Allies have knocked Italy out of the war.

Comment

Favourite board games

How about this, eh?

Scrope to Masham!

Comment

Favourite board games

hobbes wrote: I hate boardgames.
                                    Even though he's a soon-to-be Man of Kent or Kentish Man or whatever, hobbes is one of the few people writing sense on this thread.

(Or does a pub quiz count as a board game?)

Comment

Favourite board games

Kent? Well I suppose at least it's not Essex.

Comment

Favourite board games

I tell you what though. There is something I hate more than boardgames.
                                        And that's fucking card games.

Comment

Favourite board games

Diplomacy (and, by extension, it's more complicated little nephew, Machiavelli)
                                          Kingmaker
                                          North Sea Oil
                                          Buccaneer

And some bizarre verging on the tasteless kid's "sinking ship" rescue game, which consisted of a ship sandwiched into a cardboard board which "sank" as you rotated it round.

Once there were "chance" cards which you picked up both on the little islands and in play, with phrases like

"Deserted island isn't so deserted. Lose one passenger"

"Raining cats and dogs. Add one food and one water"

etc.

Comment

Favourite board games

TonTon wrote: How about this, eh?

Scrope to Masham!
                                            But is Shrewsbury on the road from London to York, or is it beyond the junction?

Comment

Favourite board games

Ooh, Kingmaker. Played a ton of that with my family growing up. No idea why we as Americans had that as our one wargame.

Comment

Favourite board games

Ratrace
                                                Smuggle
                                                Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs
                                                Attack!
                                                Illuminati

I've started a few games of Diplomacy and Kingmaker.

Comment

Favourite board games

A couple of weeks ago...

Comment

Favourite board games

ad hoc wrote: The Great Game of Britain. Travel round the country by train visiting a number of tourist attractions. Absolutely superb.
                                                    This, absolutely this. Repeatedly get sent to sheepdog trials at Perth or the Cowes Regatta. Put as many signals as you can around your opponents when they are on the brink of winning. Or just sit there and sigh longingly at the image on the box.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X