No announcement yet.

Favourite board games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds good. On Friday we had a family game of Market Day.

I was teamed up with our three-year old, who managed to stay focused for just about a whole game this time.

It's almost entirely a game of luck but works nicely. Collect or lose animal cards by landing on the various squares, trade four of them in for the animal piece to go in your farm in your corner and win when you've got your pig, sheep, cow and horse.

The pictures of the four farms are really nicely drawn, with a French, Dutch, German and Swiss farm to choose from.
    Last edited by Kevin S; 23-10-2017, 08:47.

Comment

Oh man. I loved that game. This, one where you collected or saw british wildlife, the aMAZEing labyrinth, and a thomas the tank engine roll and move.

Comment

Our copy is the one my wife played as a child with her brother and parents however many years ago. It was a new one on me, but has certainly stood the test of time. (The agony of when one of your cow cards runs away!)

A problem we face with our two children and board games - and at 3 and 6 it's a bigger problem than you might expect - is that in any game they both always want to be red. I'm sure when I was young my brother always had blue, and I had red.

Comment

Tantrums before the game starts Kev? Sounds like every family board game in the world ever.

Comment

Oh wow, that's brought back some memories Kev. Like your wife, I played the exact same game when I was little. Still got it lying around.

Comment

I'm not sure if I ever played it but Market Day looks oddly familiar.

I'm a Carcassonne fan after a friend introduced me to it. The only problem is that we started to run out of table space once the add-on packs were introduced.

Comment

Are members of the OTF peloton are familiar with Bicycle Party?

Comment

No, but that looks fantastic!

Comment

Did anybody have the Motorway board game? It was a game we never owned but one that I remember quite well due to some friends having a copy:

Comment

Not read the thread, but Totopoly!!

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                        Tantrums before the game starts Kev? Sounds like every family board game in the world ever.
                        Before the game? I'm familiar with weapons-grade flouncing during play, but that's a new one on me.

Comment

No I've had arguments before the game when suggesting we park all house rules for Monopoly. Everyone wanted their pet rules so there was no way of keeping everyone happy anyway. But I managed to piss everyone off. (Except Mrs Thistle who also advocated a purist approach)

Comment

Going back to the o/p, I don't think I listed my favourite 5 "board" games.

Forbidden Island
                            Rat-a-tat Cat*
                            Rat Race
                            Fluxx*
                            Scrabble

*no board involved but both need tables - is this why the term 'tabletop' has come in for games?

The top 10 would include
                            Blood Bowl
                            Rummikub*
                            Yahtzee*
                            Sleeping Queens*
                            Hare & Tortoise

Comment

My parents also had a game based on Bible translation/ Christian mission called The Wycliffe Game, that I played a lot growing up. It was actually a really good game, well put together and enough facets to make it playable on repeat.

They also had the Royal Game of Ur, that I used to love but have forgotten the rules of now.

Comment

My parents also had a game based on Bible translation/ Christian mission called The Wycliffe Game, that I played a lot growing up. It was actually a really good game, well put together and enough facets to make it playable on repeat.
                                The loser gets burned at the stake?

Comment

No. The winner is the person who translates the whole of the New Testament.

Not the weirdest aspect of my very religious upbringing.

Comment

Oh actually just Mark's gospel.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/.../wycliffe-game

Comment

One of the best board games I've ever played was never in production - it was a prototype developed by a friend of our next door neighbours when I was a kid, and never taken on by any manufacturer. It was called the War Game, and the board was a giant cardboard map of the world, divided into zones classed as industrial regions, agricultural regions, useless (desert, polar etc.) regions and major cities. The players started off with a certain number of armies each (represented by tiddly-wink style counters which you could pile up) which you could distribute around your allocated home patch as you saw fit. When it was your turn, you could field additional armies, the number of new armies you were awarded depended on how much quality turf you controlled at the time, and you used those new armies either to occupy vacant zones adjacent to zones you already occupied or to launch attacks on zones occupied by another player and adjacent to one or more zones you already occupied. The way the rules of attack worked was genius: the attack was always specific to one attacking and one defending zone. The attacking player placed a die under a cover with a chosen number on the top face, unknown to the defender. The number could be anything from 1 to the number of armies used in the attack (subject obviously to a max of 6). And the defender then had to guess the number on the die under the cover, having one guess for each army he had in the defending zone. So if there were as many defending armies as attacking armies the attack had zero per cent chance of success, as the defender could guess every number option available to the attacker, but if, say, you attacked with 3 armies against a zone defended by 2 armies you had a one third chance of success, and if you attacked with 4 armies against 1 you had a 75 per cent chance of success. If the attack succeeded (i.e. defender guessed wrong with all his entitlement of guesses) the defender's armies on that zone were removed from the board and the attacker won the zone. If the attack failed, the attacking armies were forfeited. I suppose it was too one-dimensional a game to have much appeal, but it really appealed to my 10 year old self.

Comment

Sounds a lot like Apocalypse / The Warlord, EEG?

Comment

Originally posted by sw2bureau View Post
                                          I've never played it with kids, and it's five players max, but I suspect you could do a lot worse than Ticket To Ride, as it will also keep any adults involved engaged.
                                          Got this for Christmas (The Europe version) and it's really captured my three girls' interest (now aged 13, 10 and 10). Indeed, the younger twin has never been so keen to play a board game.

Have played vs Mrs KGR in two-player games, but that's not as good. Five players games are great, last about an hour (perfect) and everyone feels they are in with a chance. Indeed, everyone has won at least once, though Mrs KGR appears to be the best at the game, despite my attempts to learn a few tactics.

Comment

I was thinking of getting my sister a board game for Christmas. Nothing too heavy, she likes to play Backgammon with her husband. How good is Wingspan for two people? I'm think of maybe getting Ticket to Ride but it's better with three or four. I don't want to get a solely two player game though.

Comment

Wingspan for two is great.

Comment

Wingspan should be fine, it's not really player count dependent.

Comment

Cheers both. It does look lovely.

Comment

Updating my list from the start of the thread with my current favourites:

Imperial Struggle: Ostensibly a follow-up to Twilight Struggle, but way more complex and if you ask me more interesting decisions to make. Every action is a mess of opportunity costs. Definitely not as tight a design, but I think it may have more legs. I still love Twilight Struggle, but I kind of play it on autopilot these days.

Dune Imperium: A remarkably deft combination of worker placement and light deck building. It borrows liberally from Arctic Scavengers, improves upon it and is wonderfully thematic.

Res Arcana - My favourite small engine builder. You know what cards you're going to get from the start of the game but you don't know when you're going to get them. Only downside is there isn't much player interaction beyond the race to claim a Place of Power.

Vindication - A fantastic longer term engine builder/cube pusher with a ridiculous number of expansions and modules to keep things fresh.

Decrypto - If you've played Codenames, this is that sort of thing, but with another layer of obfuscation. Great party game.
                                                    Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 22-12-2022, 19:51.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X