• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery football shirt

ursus arctos wrote: Ausgezeichnet
    Bless you.

Comment

Mystery football shirt

Three Times A Reddy wrote: Bizarre to see a team sponsored by a tobacco firm...
      Not just sponsored, but at one point named - they were Austria Memphis for a while.

Comment

Mystery football shirt

1974ddr wrote: blameless and ursus:

Yes, that's the shirt I had in mind: similar to the Soviet version, but replacing the red with blue, except for the collar which is white. Like Nesta, I also wondered whether it might be a prototype for the (soon to be ex-) DDR, but I reckon it's more likely a generic shirt. However, that's not to say no club ever used it- remember the inexplicable popularity of the Hummel halves of the mid-eighties (Villa, Southampton, Coventry et al). So, throwing it open to the floor...
        Hang on, "inexplicable"?!

Comment

Mystery football shirt

David Agnew wrote:
          Originally posted by Three Times A Reddy
          Bizarre to see a team sponsored by a tobacco firm...
          Not just sponsored, but at one point named - they were Austria Memphis for a while.
          Mind you, that was pretty much a given in Austria at that time. Wasn't there at least one season where Rapid Vienna were the only hold-outs against corporate naming in their top flight?

Comment

Mystery football shirt

Well Harry, from a distance Villa appeared to be playing in pink and claret halves...

Comment

Mystery football shirt

Mind you, that was pretty much a given in Austria at that time. Wasn't there at least one season where Rapid Vienna were the only hold-outs against corporate naming in their top flight?
              I think that may be right (after the Graz clubs gave in or were relegated), but it is hard to find historical info, as the usual sources seem to ignore the sponsored names entirely.

Comment

Mystery football shirt

1974ddr wrote: Well Harry, from a distance Villa appeared to be playing in pink and claret halves...
                And..?

Comment

Mystery football shirt

Ugh. They were horrible kits. All about the manufacturer.

Comment

Mystery football shirt

What about the shirt? I am finding the quest for it compelling.

Comment

Mystery football shirt

We need closure!

...Or at least visual evidence!

Comment

Mystery football shirt

Kowalski wrote: Austria Vienna used that USSR adidas template.

The first couple of European Cup group stages featured sponsor-less shirts
                        George Costanza, front row, far left.

Comment

Mystery football shirt

That's Art Vanderlay.

Comment

Mystery football shirt

Harry Truscott wrote:
                            Originally posted by 1974ddr
                            Well Harry, from a distance Villa appeared to be playing in pink and claret halves...
                            And..?
                            It's just not right! Claret shirts, blue sleeves. Fans of certain other clubs (nudge) will surely understand what I mean.

And you're right Bored, noone has been able to identify a single club that wore this particular shirt. Pity.

Comment

Working...
                            X