New Music For 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Music For 2015

Criteria for the thread: Any music that was either released in 2015 or that you, for one reason or another, only became aware of on or after January 1 2015.

Viet Cong - Continental Shelf

There's something about the squall of guitars on this track that really works. Yes, it's quite MBV-derivative in that sense but the vocalist has a timbre that matches what's going on behind him.

New Music For 2015

Listened to the Viet Cong album (released yesterday) last night. Good stuff. I'd go see them in London, if I wasn't already doing something that night. May yet go to Field Day to see them.

Been really enjoying the new Sleater-Kinney album too. Look forward to seeing them in March.

Comment

New Music For 2015

Buspin Jieber - 'Electricity'

(It's actually from a compilation album I bought - Various Artists - 'Touched Two' - which contains 255 tracks, all for £12 and it's in aid of MacMillan Cancer Support too. Strictly speaking, it came out last year, but I only bought it over Christmas and started playing it recently. Although there's a new Richard H. Kirk track on there (the main reason I heard about and bought it) the above track is so far the standout one that I hadn't heard before.)

Comment

New Music For 2015

I heard this on the radio the other day and made a note of the name because it was just so cute and catchy. Apparently, bloke behind it (Oli Bayston) has written and produced for loads of people and there's an album due out imminently.

Boxed In - Mystery

Comment

New Music For 2015

Look out for Marika Hackman's new (debut, in fact) album, out in Feb. Unlike many artists she's not putting any previously released material on it, so it'll be completely new. Tour to go with it, etc. Very exciting, if it's anything like as good as the Sugar Blind and Deaf Heat EPs.

Comment

New Music For 2015

Just heard this on one of Gideon Coe's shows from earlier this week. It's another very good track from that Viet Cong album, called Silhouettes. Video here.

Comment

New Music For 2015

Equally appreciating Viet Cong...their London gig is sold out sadly for me.

Also liking Krill...

http://www.stereogum.com/1729322/krill-foot/mp3s/

Comment

New Music For 2015

this is an early candidate for my favourite thread of 2015.

Comment

New Music For 2015

Hugh Fatbastard wrote: this is an early candidate for my favourite thread of 2015.
                  It's one of mine every year, mainly because I don't feel out of my depth in here...

*scores own goal*

H. Grimace's Royal Hush has been on rotation on my laptop for last half an hour. Having heard it on 6 last week (Tom sitting in for Gid), it occurred halfway through that this was a collection of noises I liked. The vocal does it for me, really.

**WARNING: THE LINK GOES TO THEIR BANDCAMP SITE, AND FEATURES A NSFW PHOTO (ie, a bare-breasted lady in provacative pose)**

(I'm no good at reviews. Not wordy enough to do a wanky one like Sasha, but not clever enough to say much more than 'I like this music', which is afterall the verdict we're generally looking for when we read a review.)

So, H. Grimace, whoever they are. :thup:

Comment

New Music For 2015

Been listening to some of the new Zun Zun Egui album, Shackles' Gift. It's hot. It's like Talking Heads, Led Zep and The Bhundu Boys having a party in a comet.

Comment

New Music For 2015

A hot comet.

Comment

New Music For 2015

Nice. Listening to their stuff on Soundcloud now
                        https://soundcloud.com/zunzunegui, and see they've got a March UK tour. Cheers!

Comment

New Music For 2015

Reminding me a lot of MGMT, the last 90 seconds in particular of Zond, by Pond, features no vocals (which run out at the 2:47 mark) and is a fine bit of modern pop.

Comment

New Music For 2015

Really loving the H. Hawkline album, 'In the Pink of Condition', this morning. Lovely lo-fi Welsh pop/folk. I think Cate Le Bon may have produced it, though I could be wrong. Off to see him next week now.

Some stuff available here https://soundcloud.com/h-hawkline

Comment

New Music For 2015

Released in 2008 but new to me, The Aerial Maps' On The Punt is a peculiarly emotional, evocative piece of spoken word folk, all about an Australian childhood and memories of the singer's father. With an approximation of the lyrics, it's on Youtube, here. Really recommended.

Comment

New Music For 2015

Just bought The Charlatans and Gaz Coombes' new albums. Very good.

Comment

New Music For 2015

Just been listening to the new Purity Ring album Another Eternity. Very much more of the same as 2012's Shrines, but brilliantly so.

Comment

New Music For 2015

Er...

Comment

New Music For 2015

The lead track from the new Unknown Mortal Orchestra album is straight up, mother-f*cking good, good sh*t.

https://soundcloud.com/jagjaguwar/unknown-mortal-orchestra-multi-love

Comment

New Music For 2015

Really good, I've enjoyed all their stuff so far.

New track from Hot Chip: "Huarache Lights."

An unexpected surprise that they named the song after a line of Nike basketball shoes.

Comment

New Music For 2015

That's a good track. They're a blind spot for me. Recommend a specific album?

Comment

New Music For 2015

steveeeeeeeee wrote: The lead track from the new Unknown Mortal Orchestra album is straight up, mother-f*cking good, good sh*t.

https://soundcloud.com/jagjaguwar/unknown-mortal-orchestra-multi-love
                                            Indeed. So I looked up when the full album comes out. Have to wait until May 26 for that.

The Hot Chip track is also great. Their new album release date: May 18.

Comment

New Music For 2015

Matthew Herbert - Remember Ken (from the 'Part 8' EP).

Youtube video link seems like it's recorded at a low volume or something, so wack it up, it's a fairly mellow soulful house thing.

Comment

New Music For 2015

WOM wrote: That's a good track. They're a blind spot for me. Recommend a specific album?
                                                hmmm. Tricky - 'Made in the Dark' or 'One Life Stand' I reckon.

The earlier stuff like the Warning is great but much patchier.

Comment

New Music For 2015

I'd have to say 'The Best Of Hot Chip'.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X