The Wimbledon/Kingsmeadow shambles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greenlander wrote: Not football but Plymouth speedway is adjacent to a sewage plant. Fortunately rhe wind tends to blow the smells away from the stadium.
    Have you got to any speedway this season? The dedicated thread is almost a monologue from me at the moment!

Comment

Wimbledon become tenants at some point, I'm pretty sure. Don't know that that's now, I think it's dependent on the S106's being signed, but I could be remembering that wrongly.

Anyway yeah, Kingstonian got evicted because Chelsea wanted them out and Wimbledon decided that evicting them was the right thing to do. Lovely.

Comment

I went past Wimbledon greyhound stadium the other day and the place is still intact. No demolition has taken place, no groundwork's, nothing. A friend who works in planning has told me that Wimbledon simply don't have the cash to build the new ground. Does anyone on here know what is going on?

Comment

Thanks for your concern :

Latest relevant Dons Trust meeting notes here.

Comment

What a great club:

The meeting was attended by DTB members Matthew Breach (old white man), Mark Davis (old white man), Roger Evans (old white man), Colin Dipple (old white man), Tim Hillyer (old white man), Sean McLaughlin (old white man), Nigel Higgs (old white man), Charles Williams (fucking hell who let the 37-years-young white man in?); DT Secretariat members Tom Brown and Andrew Howell; and FCB members/consultants Erik Samuelson (old white man), David Charles (old white man), Andrew Williams (old white man) and Dan Norris (via telephone). Apologies were received from David Growns (old white man) and Jane Lonsdale (oh my fucking god who let a woman join in?).

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
              So when will something actually happen then?

Comment

It's there in the link, when the "various legal documents required to finalise the planning permission and complete the deals necessary to allow work to start on clearing the Greyhound Stadium site" are agreed.

We're all just as keen to get The Dons back there, Paul, we'll just have to be patient.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 21-11-2017, 19:08.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                  What a great club:
                  Hmmm, I have making similar points recently.

Comment

“The Dons Trust Board is delighted to announce that AFC Wimbledon, Merton Council and Galliard Homes have today signed the Section 106 agreement that clears the way for our new stadium.”

Comment

Is it true that the percentage of "affordable" housing (as opposed to housing that anyone can actually afford) is only Eight percent?

Comment

Shocked it would be that high

Comment

Kingstonian FC and Corinthian-Casuals FC are delighted to announce their intention of securing a ground share agreement for King George’s Fields during season 2018-19.

Where is 7SK nowadays?

Comment

I missed that. Totally out of the loop. I wonder if that's any better for 7SK and friends. I hope it is.

Comment

As this thread has been referred to today, this seems apposite to link to :

Wimbledon's crowdfunding for the stadium goes public.
                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 06-08-2019, 15:05.

Comment

How do you feel about all that, RdG?

Comment

The crowdfunding itself or wider issues around the stadium? With regard to the former, I can't think of any real objection to it and will be throwing some money in myself because I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. I see it as the same as when I wrote my cheque at the meeting at the community centre in 2002.
                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 06-08-2019, 21:17.

Comment

The former. I've given up asking people about the latter.

Comment

But then you said "with regard to the latter" and then seem to have discussed the former. So I'm not sure I've followed you right.

Comment

Gah, I meant former! Edited now.

What are your thoughts on the crowdfunding?

Comment

Aha, that makes sense now.

I guess if I were happy with the whole thing, I'd probably chuck a few quid at it, but not much. It comes over quite badly to me, but then it's hard to know how much of that is in my mind already, and how much is listening to others moan about it. It's not a terrible idea, in and of itself, though some of the marketing has been horrible, to my mind.

I'd have gone much sooner and in a different way, but then I'd have done all sorts of things differently. And quite likely ended up without a new stadium.

Comment

It looks likely that The Dons Trust will be considering dropping it's level of ownership of the club from the current 75% in order to confirm outside investment for the new stadium.

The story here is not entirely accurate (the £11m shortfall has not "emerged", it's long been known about but was to be covered by borrowing. That borrowing is yet to be secured on acceptable terms) but covers the basics.

As a layman, I presume if the Dons Trust retains over 50% they have operational control but it's a worryingly major change from the way the club was conceived and has been previously run.

Comment

Fucking useless wankers.

Comment

Why has it been left this late to get the funding in place, surely this should have been sorted out ages ago.

Comment

£20 million of the funding is in place and that was always going to be augmented by borrowing. According to The Dons Trust, costs have gone up £3-4m due to various delays and difficulties with the site and some spec and agreement changes.

This requires up to £11m of borrowing rather than projected £7m (though up to £11m was sanctioned by the trust members back in 2015) and that borrowing has been harder to obtain with the terms the club want due to, "various factors that are adding to banks' caution in the current environment, including Brexit and financial difficulties for other EFL clubs"

It's a very disappointing situation, though the situation doesn't need lectures from you motivated by your long-standing hostility towards the club due to your boorish contrarianism.

Comment

Two page double spread in the Evening Standard tonight about the situation at Wimbledon:

AFC Wimbledon are facing a financial crisis and a race against time to raise the £11million they need to build their new stadium at Plough Lane. The Dons plan to move into their new 9,000-seat home at the start of next season, but they are yet to sign the main construction contract and need a major cash injection to do that after building costs soared to more than £30m.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X