Current rotation:

Bachelors Chicken/Tomato
    Waitrose Creamed Vegetable
    Heinz Tomato with Chile
    Bachelors Minestrone
    Waitrose Pea And Mint

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

I bought three of the New Covent Garden Soup company books on the cheap from amazon (the $0.01 + postage, which exist because of this) so will likely have a soup heavy winter.

Big on 3 bean turkey chili and did a pretty great beef stew the other week.

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

Made a large pot of this the other day, which will last a while.

It's very good, and much healthier than it would be if it had anywhere near as much cream as one would expect from the taste.

Worth noting that I am a huge fan of Serious Eats recipes in general. Here's a collection of their soups.

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

The tomato soup situation in this house is fantastic right now. Mrs SB (Santa B?) has been on a roll with loads of interesting gazpachos. In particular a yellow one made with yellow tomatoes and bright yellow peppers.

It's not exactly warming for winter. But then, it was up in the 30s again over the weekend, so we don't really need warming food.

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

Serious Eats is great. A friend introduced me to Kenji about 8 years ago as they were working on a proto-food site. Kenji did a little better at that than my friend.

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

Him indoors, recently made a Chinese watermelon soup. Once you get past the weird consistency of the watermelon, it was bloody delicious.

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

Gerontophile wrote: Him indoors, recently made a Chinese watermelon soup. Once you get past the weird consistency of the watermelon, it was bloody delicious.
                What he has basically done is warm up a smoothie, hasn't he.

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

Ha. No.

The item in question is about the size of a 'proper' watermelon, but is very dry. It goes gelatinous when cooked. It is more for the bulk of the soup than the flavour, although there is some there. You could probably bin it, and use potatoes, and it wouldn't be so icky.

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

TonTon wrote: What the fuck is "cup soup"? Who has every said "cup soup"? Cup A soup.
                    'Cup-a-Soup' is a brand name - Batchelor's, to be exact. That said, I generally refer to a mug of soup, given that that's what I'm using. (I do, however, still talk of 'cups of tea' - which are more often than not 'mugs' - so more fool me.)

If you're going to eat Heinz Tomato, though, you might just as well boil a load of sugar and salt and then add red food colouring.

Edit: Quite why I'm responding to an eighteen-month-old thread about packet soups, I've no idea.

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

Soup's ok as it goes. It's a starter rather than a meal though. A lunch at a push with plenty of bread.
                      P made Rick Stein's Chorizo, kale and potato soup the other day, which was pretty nice.
                      I usually make asparagus soup when the season rolls around.

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

I don't know what it's like in other places, but round here, people like talking about eating pumpkin soup a hell of a lot at this time of year. However, if you were to offer them some, they'd turn on their heels and run away as fast as their little legs could carry them.

They have a similar attitude to Guinness.

For what it's worth, I'm partial to The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With's cabbage soup.
                        (I'm unsure whether that's fnarr-worthy or not. I don't think so, not really.)

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

Waitrose "rich and spicy" lentil cup soup.

If the photo upload works, here it is - freshly moistened from the frankly minging tap of our office hot water urn.

It's pretty thick and gloopy, and you can definitely taste the lentils (including those green ones floating on the surface) but not much spiciness to be found. Like so many powdered soups, despite vigorous stirring, there was still a wodge of orange gunk stuck in the bottom when I drained it.

In it's favour, the box simply states "Instant spicy lentil soup mix" - unlike the Ainsleys of this world, who try to make out like their 50p sachet contains some rare concoction that's been magicked out of the liquidised ballsack of a pygmy marmoset and a mix of herbs found only on one Tibetan plateau on the third Tuesday of December when the moon is full.

7/10 - an unassuming but perfectly pleasant soup. "Rich and spicy" though? I'll be the fucking judge of that.

Attached files [IMG]/converted_files/media/kunena/attachments/1502/IMG_0830_2016-11-28.JPG[/IMG]

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

That's a resounding fail for the OTF image attachment functionality then. File uploaded just fine, click submit and most of it disappears. Fucking hopeless.

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

It is like a tribute to catch phrase.

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

Current rotation:

Heinz tomato & chile
                                Heinz minestrone
                                Bachelors Chicken and Noodle
                                Bachelors Creamed Vegetable
                                Ainsley's Hot'n'Sour

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

Had a great soup in an Italian restaurant in Berlin. Chestnut soup. 8/10. Would eat again.

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

Gangster Octopus wrote: Heinz tomato & chile
                                    What does Chile taste like?

Turkey?

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

Voodoo?

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

*applause*

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

Bachelor's Pulled Pork has been part of my recent selection. Probably won't be again.

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

What's it like? Too sweet, ersatz barbecue horror, I'd imagine.

Pulled pork has had its moment and should quietly go away. Pork and stuffing baps are where it's at for 2017.

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

What was so wrong with sliced warm roast pork with crackling round the rim? Mustard, a bit of leaf, a tomato if you're a bam, a buttered roll, there ye go. Is the pulled pork choice cut a cheaper piece of meat or are they shredding perfectly good white/grey meat?

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

Pulled pork went from something delicious and smokey as hell, cooked super slowly away from the flame on a smoker bbq in a one horse town in the Carolinas or Tennessee or Arkansas to something any old idiot cooked for a long time in a pot that tasted of watery pork, that appeared on every menu everywhere. Sad.

Comment

Heinz Tomato cup soups

Final selection of the Winter:

Batchelors Ministrone
                                                  Heinz Tomato & Chilli
                                                  Waitrose Chicken Noodle
                                                  Heinz Mushroom
                                                  Batchelors Cream Of Asparagus

Comment

First selection of Winter:

Waitrose Pea & Mint
                                                    Waitrose Cream Of Vegetable
                                                    Batchelors Chicken Noodle
                                                    Heinz Mushroom
                                                    Heinz Tomato & Chilli