Glen Campbell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glen Campbell

Glen Campbell was a big favourite of my late father and so was a part of my childhood. I've always had a selection of the GC classics in my library, but what prompted me to post this is a news article on TV here in Australia a few months back.... basically it was an item on his releasing a final song before the latter stages of Alzheimers make it impossible. Very sad, but the thing that really amazed me was the TV people didn't appear to know how big he was.... it was really just a human interest puff piece 'bloke with latter stage Alzheimers releases a song', not 'country/pop legend diagnosed with dibilitating disease releases last song'.

So, am I being too sensitive here? Was Glen Campbell as big as I remember?

Top Five:

Galveston
    By The Time I Get To Phoenix
    Witchita Lineman
    It's Only Make Believe
    Try A Little Kindness

Glen Campbell

I know Jimmy Webb wrote the phrase but "And I need you more than want you; and I want you for all time" is flat-out genius...and then Glen Campbell delivers said line...

Comment

Glen Campbell

It's difficult to evaluate a performer who's known as the principal voice for a great songwriter. Glen Campbell was a wonderful balladeer, but without Jim Webb's songs would he be as well known? I dunno. You could ask the same of Dionne Warwick and Bacharach/David, or even The Coasters and Leiber/Stoller.

To (partially) answer Willie's question, I do think Glen Campbell's reputation is higher now than it was in the 60s/70s. Like the Carpenters he was viewed as terminally straight and un-hip back then, but quality always outlives superficial fashion, and it has in both cases.

Comment

Glen Campbell

Rhinestone Cowboy. What else do you need?

Comment

Glen Campbell

The guy can play a mean guitar as well.

Comment

Glen Campbell

Amor de Cosmos wrote: It's difficult to evaluate a performer who's known as the principal voice for a great songwriter. Glen Campbell was a wonderful balladeer, but without Jim Webb's songs would he be as well known? I dunno. You could ask the same of Dionne Warwick and Bacharach/David, or even The Coasters and Leiber/Stoller.
            It's only that trio of Webb songs though (he recorded more, and his versions of "If These Walls Could Speak" and "Christiaan No", for instance, show what a good fit Webb and Campbell were). Campbell recorded many other great songs as well. His version of "Gentle On My Mind" is my favourite of that song.

As for the principal performers of Webb, I'd say The Fifth Dimension are to Webb what Warwick was to Bacharach/David.

Comment

Glen Campbell

Webb wanted Glen Campbell to sing his songs from day one. Allegedly the first single he bought was Campbell's Turn Around Look at Me. at 14. Years later, when he plucked up the courage to introduce himself, GC told him to go away and get a haircut. Webb sought Glen Campbell out, he wanted that voice.

Similarly Burt Bacharach signed Dionne Warwick specifically for his songs when she was singing back-up for The Drifters. He knew she was right, just as Webb knew Campbell was right.

Comment

Glen Campbell

'Wichita Lineman' is my favourite song of all time. Ever.

Comment

Working...
                X