Trouble at the Manor: Clapton Ultras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live five minutes walk from Essex Senior League side Southend Manor. Saturday I was driving past their ground when I saw five police cars, an ambulance and further police cars driving round the local streets. I checked the website of the local newspaper - Southend Echo - and found the breaking news was about a local schoolgirl who was reported missing, so I assumed it was about that.

Yesterday the local newspaper reported how Southend Manor v Clapton involved fighting between supporters. This all seems rather odd as average crowds at Southend Manor are normally around 35-40. I reproduce the report from the Echo News website>

SOUTHEND Manor suffered another heavy home defeat in a match marred by a controversial interruption.

During the half-time break, a local protest group rallied at the ground, with much of the anger supposedly aimed at Manor’s opponents’ supporters, knows as the ‘Clapton Ultras’.

Police were called to the Southchurch Arena before the trouble was dispersed.

The match itself resulted in a 5-1 away win, with Mendez opening the scoring on the half hour mark.

It didn’t take long for the score line to be doubled - Fahad Nyanja was on the mark and the same man crashed home a third before the break.

There was even enough time for Andy Mott to make it 4-0 before the break.

Abiola Tanimowo pulled a goal back in the second half before Nyanja secured his hat-trick to leave Manor in the bottom three.

Bowers & Pitsea’s impressive recent form continued with a 6-0 demolition of Takeley.

A Rob Whitnell double and an 18th goal of term for the flying Lewis Manor set the tone early on, putting Bowers into a three-goal advantage.

Bowers have now scores 18 goals in the last three matches and it could have been more, with Manor cracking a shot off the crossbar.

He did score his second soon after with an impressive strike before Ashley Wackers-Kyriacou missed a simple chance.

He did score after he tapped home following a superb Martin Llewellyn shot hit the crossbar.

Takeley were reduced to 10 men before Jamie Salmon added his name to the score sheet.

Basildon United returned to winning ways with a 4-1 win at Stansted.

Having lost 5-2 in the week, Craig Gillam demanded a response and he got one.

A double from Loranzo Ramsay netted a double before Gillam got in on the act.

Jonathan Adebayo's 44th minute penalty made it 4-0, with only Gary Rowntree's 89th minute consolation giving Stansted anything to smile about.
    The comments section at the bottom of the article has been suspended, but look at the comments under the original report and you will see what really happened:

Two arrested after football brawl

Edit: These comments have also been removed

It would appear right wing groups are beginning to mobilise against Clapton claiming if they can promote left wing ideology then they can promote right wing ideology. There is a facebook page which was referred to in the comments section of the Echo News which shows that right wing groups want the police to start attending their matches so Clapton FC get the bill which will kill them off.

Does anyone know anything about this?

I wondered when this would happen.

Comment

There's a thread about this on the Tony Kempster forum. The latest post (at 1.04pm today) makes for very worrying reading.

The message reads:

This was being spoken about at West Ham when I was there recently, looks like some of our animals are gagging to get involved on Clapton's side. Trouble ahead...

Comment

I see Clapton FC are based nowhere near Clapton, wot is where I live. Historically, they played at Hackney Downs.

Relieved I don't have to support them or become a Clapton Ultra.

Comment

They started out on Hackney Downs, but moved to Forest Gate in the late 19th century.

Comment

Erm, no parmesan?

You'll never eat a parmo, you'll never eat a parmo?

Comment

The Chief Executive of Clapton isn't pleased about what's going on. He's issued this statement on their website. This statement includes a reference to being fined over flares being let off in the ground. It also asks supporters do not use football to further their own personal issues.

Comment

Paul S wrote: There's a thread about this on the Tony Kempster forum. The latest post (at 1.04pm today) makes for very worrying reading.

The message reads:

This was being spoken about at West Ham when I was there recently, looks like some of our animals are gagging to get involved on Clapton's side. Trouble ahead...
                This, of course, will turn out to be absolute horse shit.

Comment

Hoolie wannabees are the best, aren't they?

Comment

Internet gobshites EVERYWHERE. *avoids glancing in mirror looking accusingly from the wall*

Mad props to the guy on the forum with the 'The South Will Rise Again' avatar. Nice choice, dickhead.

Comment

Thanks to this thread I am now aware of "The Valleys Frontline Firm", a group of south Walean neo-nazis that post Nazi propaganda with a 2014 twist on facebook.

Comment

Probably worth a read.

http://libcom.org/news/fascists-are-trying-shut-down-clapton-ultras-24122014

Comment

The absolute worst thing about this group of fash is that you might turn up to a match in the same trainers as them.

The Pie And Mash Brigade seem to have pinched their approach from the Quiller Memorandum as they don't appear to be in a hurry. It'll take a century of amazing victories against peace-loving groups of no more than twenty to create their racially pure 1000 year reich.

Comment

Paul S wrote: The Chief Executive of Clapton isn't pleased about what's going on. He's issued this statement on their website. This statement includes a reference to being fined over flares being let off in the ground. It also asks supporters do not use football to further their own personal issues.
                            The guy running Clapton has a long-running feud with the Ultras there (who doubt his credential as owner/custodian) so is hardly a fair arbiter.

Comment

Lots of talk online about the same group launching a revenge attack at Tomorrow's home game (the 27th).

Sure the police will be all over it but it would be a good match to go to if you're in the area (there's no league games on either). Reckon your solidarity and support would be appreciated.

Comment

Despite my earlier flippancy, I'm doing what I can to raise support locally - this is an area of immigrants from everywhere, and I doubt many people have heard of Clapton FC. But I reckon quite a few would want to support the team (at least virtually) and stand against these horrible "fashist" gits.

Too soon to make any difference tomorrow, though. :-(

Comment

To judge from their subtle use of the internet the fash are trying to get Clapton charged by the FA, and then go out of business, because of their political flags.

They also say that as soon as the leftards go home for a wash the non-threatening, non-political, peaceful demonstrations will cease.

Comment

It has also been brought to my attention that Tower Hamlets FC have been suspended due to non-payment of fines, along with London Bari who are also suspended due to non-payment of fines. Non-payment of fines is a legitimate reason for kicking clubs out, according to the Essex Senior League's (ESL) constitution.

The problem is, the Essex Season League cannot afford to lose anymore clubs. They have been remarkably successful over the last 20-30 years in launching non-league sides into the Isthmian league and beyond. Canvey Island, Concord Rangers, Witham Town, Romford, Aveley, Great Wakering Rovers, Brightlingsea Regent, Burnham Ramblers, Brentwood and a number of others have all come up from the ESL. This has left the competition low on numbers, hence the reason why London Bari, London Greenhouse and Tower Hamlets are all competing. I really can't see them losing anymore clubs!

It's all go in the ESL this season!

Comment

There also sounds like there's some new teams wanting to come up to the ESL from step 7 (there's no Step 6 below) so the league's crackdown may be due to them having a rare strong position over the clubs - there's been no relegation for the last few years.

In other news today's home game at the Spotted Dog has – in keeping with most other non-league matches – been called off due to waterlogging.

Pie and Mash squad are, inevitably, declaring victory.

Comment

Which sides would be trying to get into the Essex Senior League BLT? Any info on that?

Comment

Yeah, Newbury Forest, who share with Redbridge and Wadham Lodge who share with Waltham Forest.

Both sides play in the Essex Olympian League.

Both grounds are Ryman standard - Newbury Forest are struggling on the pitch though.

Comment

Clapton Ultras scarves ..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clapton-FC-Clapton-Ultras-Scarf-PreOrder-Now-/191432428111?pt=UK_SportsMemorabilia_Football_Memo rabilia_ET&hash=item2c92430a4f

... the blurb that accompanies them in the seller's description is quite something.

Clapton is the name for punk rock football.

According to the AA route planner Clapton FC is six minutes drive from West Ham’s Upton Park.

But their ground – the magnificently named Old Spotted Dog – is in a different sporting universe.

Clapton play in the Essex Senior League, five rungs below the football league.

Two seasons ago their usual crowd was 25.

But then – largely as a political protest at the overpriced and aloof professional game – some east London based fans of various clubs decided to start following Clapton.

The Ultras – as they call themselves – brought singing, drinking, flares and anti-fascist punk rock politics to a league that still doesn’t know what’s hit it.

I called in at the Dog where Essex league rivals Barking were the visitors for an FA Vase early kick off.

I joined the Ultras on the tiny scaffolding terrace for a couple of hours of joyous chanting for slightly-embarrassed home players and against bemused visitors.

We counted 146 in the ground which might not sound many. But if you start at 25 and do the maths that's like Man City’s attendance rising to 274,000 in a couple of seasons.

Official non league attendances seem to come from a random number generator so that was 119 – still the highest in the Vase that day in east London and Essex.

Despite the declared anti-fascist nature of the home fans there was no censorship of the football banter – with officials and opponents getting plenty of stick.

There were flares and the atmosphere was undoubtedly helped by the fact that at this level no-one stops anyone drinking.

I’m sure the clever song “Good decision referee” helped most 50-50 whistles go the way of Clapton.

Despite taking abuse himself the Barking manager cane over after the game and said “that was magnificent Clapton fans.”

Clapton need to build a regular fan base – but like St Pauli, Hamburg’s punk rock football team, they could also do with the passing football tourist.

Fans of football, anarchy, or social movement living in or visiting London could do worse than visit the Old Spotted Dog, Upton Lane, E7 9NP.

Comment

It's like the 'antifa' (sic) version of vacuous corporate speak.

Comment

^^ Judging by that description I take it Brewdog are the sponsors of Clapton?

Comment

The Ultras are asking people to bring their leftovers for foodbanks to the next matches. Hooray!

I wouldn't trust any from the other crews, IYKWIM.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X