No announcement yet.

Trouble at the Manor: Clapton Ultras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extraorindary decision by Southend Manor this evening to ban all away fans, neutrals and ground hoppers from their game against Clapton in the Errington Challenge Cup.

https://twitter.com/SouthendManorFC/...44801343180801

It seems like a total over-reaction to me. I wonder how they will tell who is a local and who is an away fan / neutral / ground hopper.

Comment

A interesting response on the Clapton FC website regarding the banning of Clapton fans from the games at Met Police and Southend Manor. Well worth a read. Balanced and fair is my assessment.

http://claptonfc.com/ultras-being-ba...y-other-clubs/

Comment

Clapton fans form a breakaway club:

FAN-OWNED FOOTBALL IS THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN FOR FAMOUS TONS
        Clapton FC fans and Life Members unite to establish fan-owned club
        Temporary move to Walthamstow for 2018-19 season
        Court battle over the Spotted Dog continues, as local politicians back fight
        Fans of Clapton FC have joined the club’s surviving Life Members to announce they will field a team for the 2018/19 season.

Following a deeply unsettled off–pitch period for The Tons, supporters, volunteers and members decided a break with the entity affiliated to the Essex Senior League was needed to preserve the legacy of one of London's oldest football clubs.

This announcement comes just days after Clapton's entire youth team structure decided to quit the beleaguered outfit and move to a rival club.

The Life Members, whose connection to the club traces back to the early 1900s, voted with fans to re-establish a functioning members’ club that is open to all, with transparency and inclusivity as its key values.

The club playing in the Essex Senior League is supposed to be a members’ club by its constitution. However, the ‘Tons Members Club’, under the present administration, has been ‘closed for restructuring’ for over 6 years.

Fans and members have boycotted home games for the whole of the 2017-18 season when the club’s chief executive attempted to liquidate the charity running the club’s historic Old Spotted Dog ground in Forest Gate.

Average attendances fell from 366 the season before, to 52 last season, including officials and away fans.

"I am delighted that having hibernated, our historic Club is reawakening"

Michael Fogg. Clapton Life Member
        Clapton CFC
        The revamped, fan-owned Clapton will compete in the Middlesex Counties Football League when the new season kicks off in September.

The club will be known as Clapton Community Football Club. Or Clapton CFC for short.

Members’ owned co-operative
        Tons supporters, famed for being some of the most fervent in non-league, will once again get to decide how their club is run.

Set up as a co-operative, each member will have an equal vote in the direction fan-owned Clapton CFC will take. Hundreds of members have already signed up and the process is open to all.

The club's mission statement champions community football and its aim is to build on the fantastic work of fan groups like the Clapton Ultras in promoting wider community participation in local, grassroots football.

Temporary new home while High Court fight goes on
        Clapton CFC's first action will be a temporary relocation to Wadham Lodge in Kitchener Road, Walthamstow, 3 train stops from E7, and 2 stops from where it all began in Clapton.

The fight to save the Old Spotted Dog, London’s oldest senior football ground, from liquidation is ongoing and is set to go to trial at the High Court, in a process that could run into 2019.

This fight is backed by West Ham MP, Lyn Brown, Newham mayor Roksana Fiaz, local Councillors, and over 1750 people who have signed an online petition calling for the Old Spotted Dog to remain a community asset.

Formed in 1877, Clapton have played at the Old Spotted Dog since 1887.

Clapton last played its home games in E17 during the mid-1880s, just before the club made the permanent move to the Old Spotted Dog.

Supporters remain positive that this could be a good omen as they eye a bright future for a members-run community football club back in E7 as soon as possible.
        http://claptoncfc.co.uk/

Comment

Posted on the kit thread, but they've released their shirts and the change is stunning.

https://twitter.com/ClaptonCFC/status/1024958210095173632

Home games will be at
          Wadham Lodge Sports Ground
          Kitchener Road, Walthamstow
          E17 4JP

Comment

What is happening with old Clapton and the Old Spotted Dog?

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...s-hit-in-spain

The change proves a big hit in Spain!

Edit - ok, does the abbreviated link say 'shit in Spain' for everyone?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                  What is happening with old Clapton and the Old Spotted Dog?
                  Still going in the step 5 Essex Senior League, but with the ACV on the ground now stopping “owner” Vincent McBean flogging it off (part of the feud with old old members & ultras which led to the breakaway) to repay supposed 6-figure loans from himself, I guess the Clapton CFC crew are hoping he may give up and allow them to move “back home” at some point.

Comment

The Clapton Ultras have announced they are to disband. Announcement here:

https://twitter.com/ClaptonUltras?re...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Comment

That’s, er, essentially meaningless. How does an informal group of supporters “disband”? They’re a bunch of people watching football, not The Rolling Stones!

Comment

It's a load of try-hard bollocks.

Comment

That’s, er, essentially meaningless. How does an informal group of supporters “disband”? They’re a bunch of people watching football, not The Rolling Stones!
                          That's the point, they're no longer a bunch of people watching football. They and 750+ others are now owners of a football club which is totally open and transparently run. Anyone who agrees with the the values of the club can join today, add themselves to a working group and get involved, or just go to games and cheer on the team. Clapton Ultras were quite a secretive group, for many reasons they had to be because of the constant threats by DFLA and the like. You could buy a t-shirt or a scarf with their name on it, but you couldn't join them and decisions weren't totally democratic or transparent.

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                          It's a load of try-hard bollocks.
                          I just don't know what this is supposed to mean. There are a number of people who have basically had their lives taken over with this, yet they still hold the same £1 share = 1 vote as someone like me, who hasn't been able to do anything but vote on decisions because things in my life are a bit upside down at present, but I'll do what I can when they get sorted.

Comment

"try-hard", as an insult, seems to me to be up there with "do-gooder".

Comment

Looking at the time it was posted I was probably drunk. I've got issues with the Clapton Ultras, but acknowledge that they were, by and large, A Good Thing.

Though try-hard doesn't mean one is trying hard. It's more pretending to be something you're not.

Comment

I don't think people who use "Do-gooder" think the object of their insult is actually doing good, do they?

Comment

What do they mean then?

Comment

They mean do-gooders are busybodies who want credit for being virtuous, but actually don't have the best interests of those they are trying to help at heart and/or have no real understanding of the situation, which means they do not, actually, do good, but rather harm.

It's a way to attack, for example, attempts at helping those in need, or environmental protection measures without admitting that you just hate the poor and vulnerable/ are happy to see the environment trashed

Comment

It's been a dramatic few weeks involving all things Clapton, best summed up by this news story:

https://www.civilsociety.co.uk/news/...-heineken.html

Basically, McBean's memberless Clapton FC has been turfed out from the Old Spotted Dog by the Freeholder, Heineken. This also left Hackney Wick FC groundless, but Haringey Borough quickly came to their assistence. Memberless Clapton FC are going to be one of 4 teams sharing Avely's FCs Parkside ground, meaning their home games will almost certainly be played on Friday nights.

Heineken have promised the ground will continue to be used for football purposes and have asked for bids. Clearly, this opens the door for the member-owned Clapton CFC, who confirmed in a tweet this week that they are to bid for the lease.

I'm largely out of the loop these days, getting to Wadham Lodge, where Clapton CFC play is nightmare by public transport so I have to drive, and watching football at this level without a beer is hard work, so I haven't been going as much as I like. From that point of view, the possibility of watching football again in Forest Gate is really exciting and looking very likely. But Heineken's actions are quite unexpected, from my understanding the idea was always to merge back with Clapton FC once McBean and his cronies and their spurious financial claims had been removed. With the current situation, there is a very real possibility Clapton CFC could be playing at the Old Spotted Dog whilst a McBean led Clapton FC are kept out. However, it's doubtful McBean would care about the club without it's lease and I assume he would walk away. What happens then is anyone's guess. Would Clapton CFC take back the Clapton FC name? Will the continue in the Middlesex County league where they are welcome or return to the Essex Senior League where they are a bit less welcome (step up in class, proper away grounds rather than playing in parks).

I'm sure there are other things members of Clapton CFC are wary of, but the aim has and will always be to return to the Old Spotted Dog as soon as possible with a club that is run by its members. I always thought it would take ages, but it looks like it's going to happen within weeks and members of Clapton CFC will vote on things in the coming weeks.

Can't believe it and can't wait to be back there. Fingers crossed.
                                      Last edited by steveeeeeeeee; 16-08-2019, 20:48.

Comment

Couple of questions. Are Clapton CFC on the main pitch at Wadham? and if so are Leyton Ath there too with Walthamstow?
                                        Why did Hackney Wick get chucked out, if the ground is available ? And is anyone playing on the wee ground next to the Olympic stadium?

The OSD is a great ground and to date the ony ground I've been stung off nettles

Comment

As far as I am aware, Clapton CFC play on a pitch next to the main one at Wadham Lodge.

I presume Hackney Wick were tenants of McBean so were chucked out with him, so to speak.

Altis FC of the Amateur Football Combination were playing at the London Marathon Community Stadium in the shadow of the Olympic Stadium last season at least. I saw them play Queen Mary Old Boys in an early kick off prior to Charlton v Wimbledon in December ;

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 17-09-2019, 13:04.

Comment

Cheers . That ground is on the list next time I'm in London along with Ilford znd Enfield Town

Comment

Clapton CFC played last season on a mostly-unused pitch next to the main pitch at Wadham. Members did a lot of work cleaning up the pitch to make it suitable for spectators last July. Then, the shirt thing happened plus far more spectators coming to each game than imagined. So, it was voted to build a scaffold stand on on side of the pitch at Wadham Lodge and "The Stray Dog" became quite a neat little ground, but lacked atmosphere in comparison to The Old Spotted Dog.

The relationship between Matchday Centres, who run the Wadham Lodge complex, and Clapton CFC is outstanding. They totally get what the people coming to the game want and simple things like opening a low-cost canned beer bar next to the pitch and not panicking when large numbers descended on the bar or toilets really made a difference. So, when an opening came up due to Leyton Athletic being relegated and deciding to move to Dagenham, they offered it to Clapton CFC on first refusal. Clapton still keep the other pitch for their newly formed women's team. They've paid up front for the use of these pitches, so I guess that is something members will need to take into account, but getting back to the Old Spotted Dog has to be the main priority.

Walthamstow FC are the other tenants at Wadham Lodge. I though Hackney Wick were meant to play at the mini stadium next to the Olympic Stadium, which makes sense as it's pretty much in Hackney Wick. But they were still sharing with Clapton FC at the start of this season.

Comment

Hackney Wick were meant to move there a season or two ago but were told it didn't meet FA ground requirements.

Comment

Cheers again .I had wondered why Wadham Lodge changed thier name. (Where are Dagenham, at the one at Redbridge station?)

I thought Hackney Wick were at the wee one and before that at Haringay (as walthamstow pennant?) I need a lie down

Comment

Hackney Wick were meant to move there a season or two ago but were told it didn't meet FA ground requirements.
                                                    No changing rooms I believe.

And their previous name was London Barri.
                                                    As seen at the OSDG.

Anyone know the reason?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X