Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead as an Udo

Udo Jürgens is dead.

This probably means very little to most people on this board, myself included.

Dead as an Udo

I thought he was the singer in Accept to be honest.

Comment

Dead as an Udo

He's one of the most successful German-language crooners ever. If the lists I've read are anything to go by, he sold as many records as Depeche Mode have.

He was born 33 years to the day before I was. Because of this, a former co-worker used to give me presents on my birthday - she was obsessed with Udo Jürgens (he deflowered her, so she reckons) and made it quite clear that the presents "aren't for you, they're for Udo."

Real tat it was, as well. Little fluffy mice wearing T-shirts with hearts on them, that sort of thing.

Comment

Dead as an Udo

Is "selling as many records as Depeche Mode" the new "the size of Wales"?

Comment

Dead as an Udo

Udo Jürgens was a cut above your Schlager monkeys. Wrote his own lyrics, and sometimes intelligent and socially aware ("Griechischer Wein" was mawkish and now seems condescending, but in 1975 any song that criticised xenophobia was unusual).

He did two of my favourite German songs of the 1960s: the quite funny seduction song "Es wird Nacht, Senorita" and the catchy "Siebzehn Jaar, blondes Haar", which a little creepy as Udo was hitting on a 17-year-old girl at the age of 31.

Comment

Dead as an Udo

I'm not familiar with the recently deceased musical artist in question. Just to say, I feared for a moment that this thread would be about Udo Lindenberg, whose songs I was familiar with in the mid 1980s.

Comment

Dead as an Udo

What 17-year old could resist this stud?

Comment

Dead as an Udo

That's Des O'Connor!

Comment

Dead as an Udo

First I thought Udo Lattek was dead. Then I thought this thread was in the wrong forum. These two things made me unhappy, in roughly equal measure. But I was wrong.

I don't know any other Udos. Do U?

Comment

Dead as an Udo

Jürgens also dabbled in writing for English-singing artists, including, apparently, Matt Monro and Sammy Davis Jr.

Here Udo is doing is thang English-style on a 1970 track, Peace Now, wherein he remonstrates for peace, demanding its immediate implementation.

Comment

Dead as an Udo

G-Man wrote: Jürgens also dabbled in writing for English-singing artists, including, apparently, Matt Monro and Sammy Davis Jr.

Here Udo is doing is thang English-style on a 1970 track, Peace Now, wherein he remonstrates for peace, demanding its immediate implementation.
                      I'd never heard of the guy until a few weeks ago when staying near the Festhalle in Frankfurt - public transport and the road up from the station were filled with groups of women and couples of a certain age, and they were flocking into the Festhalle, so he was seemingly a big deal. I looked him up on wiki and realised how popular he was, and that the tour he was on was billed as his last, so that's not in doubt now.

Comment

Dead as an Udo

I don't know any other Udos. Do U?
                        I did an internal brain search on "Udo" and came up with Udo Lattek. I doubt he was much of a singer though.

Comment

Dead as an Udo

I did an internal brain search on "Udo" and came up with Udo Lattek.

Who, when in charge of Bayern Munich in the 1970s, signed Udo Horsmann, who went on to play over 200 games for them.

Comment

Dead as an Udo

I know an Ugo, but I'm afraid that doesn't count.

Comment

Dead as an Udo

I somehow recognized Udo's name & face without ever connecting them together (or connecting them to music).

Our brains in childhood are very strange indeed.

(or I just internalized one of G-man's music lists...)

Comment

Working...
                              X