Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless speaker help & also life after death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found an inexpensive solution: a $35 bluetooth adapter for the stereo receiver. No more cable, no need for new speakers, etc. Just plugged it in, set it up, works a treat.

'Endless blackness' after death would surely require the sensory capacity to recognize the lack of light. A void - if such a thing awaits us - is an absence of everything - time and space, thought and existence. It's almost impossible to imagine entirely losing your existence and consciousness like this, but very, very easy to imagine someone else losing theirs.

Damn, The Archies sound really good through these speakers.

Comment

I'm convinced there's a connection between life, death and speakers.

As I mentioned on another thread, I'm getting my old Grundig speakers back when I move to Germany this weekend. Originally they were my Mum's, her final Christmas present (1978) from my dad before they got divorced as part of a music centre. She's still going strong at 77. She gave them to me in the early 90s when she bought a new Technics system. Fifteen years ago I loaned them to my father-in-law, and he's still mentally and physically fit at 84. Now it's my turn to nurture them and their life-giving properties again.

Care for and love your stereo sound system and you will avoid the black nothingness that beckons beyond your heart's last pulsation. After all, what would life be without a good set of speakers?

Comment

You're moving to Germany?

Permanently??

Comment

Can't help you with the speaker advice, I've been using a ten pound set of headphones for the past eighteen months.

Come to think of it, I can't help you with the other thing. All I will ask is, can you remember anything from before you were born? I reckon death is the same as that.

Comment

Ten pound headphones?

Your poor neck.

After you die there is only wheat

Tremendous amounts of wheat.

Comment

Calvert wrote: Ten pound headphones?

Your poor neck.

After you die there is only wheat

Tremendous amounts of wheat.
              Terrance Malick agrees with you.

Comment

Reading about this device pushing the Airfoil for multi-room functionality and that app casting the stream from the cloud makes me feel about 105 rather than 35.
                So clearly this thread is already enormously extending my life.
                The implication is that as I continue to fall exponentially behind the curve of technologically-advancing methods of music reproduction and playback, I will eventually come to live forever. The cloud, it seems, has a silver lining.

Comment

Velvet Android wrote: Reading about this device pushing the Airfoil for multi-room functionality and that app casting the stream from the cloud makes me feel about 105 rather than 35.
                  So clearly this thread is already enormously extending my life.
                  The implication is that as I continue to fall exponentially behind the curve of technologically-advancing methods of music reproduction and playback, I will eventually come to live forever. The cloud, it seems, has a silver lining.
                  I'm 48. This entire thread was just an excuse to use the word 'Bluetooth' appropriately.

Comment

What, in the context of ancient Danish royalty, you mean?

Now, what was the Norse conception of the soul? Did they believe one went bodily to Valhalla, or in the guise of a non-corporeal spirit possessed of agency outside the confines of the mortal flesh? And what would they have made of one of their kings giving his name to a wireless communication protocol a thousand years hence?

Comment

Velvet Android wrote: What, in the context of ancient Danish royalty, you mean?

Now, what was the Norse conception of the soul? Did they believe one went bodily to Valhalla, or in the guise of a non-corporeal spirit possessed of agency outside the confines of the mortal flesh?
                      I believe the only way you got to Valhalla was if you died in combat, which, in fairness, 100% of Norsemen did.

Comment

Ah, you grasshopper existential rationalists, there are more things in this world than is dreamt of in your philosophy. Life and death are but illusions of the monkey mind trapped in its ego projection of selfhood. In order to overcome this material void one must seek the bardo of sublime reality and realize, as it is written in The Tibetan Book of the Great Liberation that the... "white light from which everything in the universe comes, to which everything in the universe returns; the original nature of your own mind. The natural state of the universe unmanifest. Let go into the clear light, trust it, merge with it. It is your own true nature, it is home."

Heed then the voice of ultimate liberation and sonic purity that speaks from a custom Klipschorn floor standing 3-way design with a horn loaded enclosure and frequency response of 33-17,000 Hz, 100 watts continuous power capability up to 400 watts peak. It is the closest thing in this world to that sublime reality of audio perfection and ecstatic universal harmony.

Comment

imp wrote: Originally they were my Mum's, her final Christmas present (1978) from my dad before they got divorced as part of a music centre.
                          Your parents got divorced as part of a music centre? I only ever saw the ones with record player/tape deck/radio/amp. That must have been a high end one. Technics, I'll bet.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: You're moving to Germany?

Permanently??
                            Yes, I'm moving to Germany. But permanently? As this thread will attest, there is no 'permanently'. So my physical remains may end up in Germany permanently (or at least until they dissolve into dust, but even then they'll be there, I suppose, unless the geographical boundaries of Germany change), if my family has the means to pay for a burial plot. But I, alas, will descend into the black void with the rest of you.

I think the Grundig speakers will outlast me.

To ad hoc's observation: indeed, all material objects in our house were very much subject to dispute at the time, and so my parents got divorced as part of numerous items. My Mum, for example, didn't want my Dad to take the rather fancy dining room table, so she took a blunt instrument and gouged huge great scratches right down the middle of it. Sure enough, she got to keep it, so during every mealtime in the years that followed we were always reminded of my Dad's infidelity if we cared to contemplate the passionately carved patterns beneath our place mats. Yes, even though she'd vandalized the table beyond repair or re-sale, she still put place mats down.

We weren't allowed to touch the music centre, though. In theory. In practice it was the only way to make decent tape recordings. If she'd ever seen some of the crackly-as-fuck records we put underneath the precious Grundig needle, I doubt that I'd be sitting here now to tell the tale.

Comment

Elvis Wilbury takes a turn wrote: Ah, you grasshopper existential rationalists, there are more things in this world than is dreamt of in your philosophy. Life and death are but illusions of the monkey mind trapped in its ego projection of selfhood. In order to overcome this material void one must seek the bardo of sublime reality and realize, as it is written in The Tibetan Book of the Great Liberation that the... "white light from which everything in the universe comes, to which everything in the universe returns; the original nature of your own mind. The natural state of the universe unmanifest. Let go into the clear light, trust it, merge with it. It is your own true nature, it is home."

Heed then the voice of ultimate liberation and sonic purity that speaks from a custom Klipschorn floor standing 3-way design with a horn loaded enclosure and frequency response of 33-17,000 Hz, 100 watts continuous power capability up to 400 watts peak. It is the closest thing in this world to that sublime reality of audio perfection and ecstatic universal harmony.
                              This could be a breakthrough moment for me.

Comment

Would get me called me before the co-op board before the week was out.

Comment

Elvis Wilbury takes a turn wrote: I do it the old fashioned way. I get up and adjust the device manually. You know, like you do when you have something playing on the turntable and you have to get up to turn it over and play the other side.
                                  Had to consider this point deeply, and decided the difference is the vinyl experience makes that effort worthwhile. Although nobody actually sees me do it, getting up from my authentic 50s midcentury sofa and flipping over an impossibly hip record is a cool thing to do. Pressing some buttons on an iPad screen just doesn't match up to that.

Comment

So, do you buy reconditioned Mason Jars or blow your own?

Comment

No, it doesn't go as far as that. Although I do buy artisanal dog treats, but that's only because the woman at the pet store has a devastating smile.

Comment

It's a bit irrelevant now, but I checked out the iOS Sonos situation. It's a lot better than the situation I described with Android (podcasts anyway - I don't really have any music on my phone), so I wouldn't hold back from getting a Sonos on that account. But clearly if you're able/willing to use your existing speakers, then obviously there are cheaper solutions that will work just as well for pushing from iPad.

Comment

Working...
                                        X