Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've yet to get an email.

Comment

Maybe if you said you were writing from Romania Mr Bleach may feel he can't just send the generic response,

Comment

Yes, and I did say that, pointing out that in fact all of my neighbours were Romanian, despite the fears of Messrs Farage and Liddle

Comment

Dear Ms D

Thank you for getting in touch. I am sorry you disapproved of Rod Liddle's column on Sunday. We do not believe it was racist in any sense: it was expressing a legitimate view about immigration levels, and it received hundreds of messages of support from our readers online.

As for the writing style, I would point out that, having the luxury of space, The Sunday Times has a wide range of columnists and critics across the sections. I hope that some of those are more to your taste.

I have ensured that the editors responsible are aware of your comments. Their choices are constantly influenced by the feedback we receive from readers, so we're grateful for your views.

Best regards

Stephen Bleach
          Letters editor (acting)
          The Sunday Times
          @stephenbleach

Comment

He did vary the wording slightly.

Comment

These are the people that Liddle loathes so much

That 400,000 Romanians live in the UK is a tragedy for their homeland

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...y_to_clipboard

Comment

"Around 139,000 out of 1.2 million staff report a non-British nationality. This is 12.5% of all staff for whom a nationality is known, or one in every eight."

https://researchbriefings.parliament...mmary/CBP-7783

Comment

Liddle now using his Sun column to bully a woman of colour and call for her sacking

https://twitter.com/priyamvadagopal/status/1011579932382781440
                  How the fuck did this guy become a senior BBC editor.

Comment

So you should be kicked out of higher education for reading really crap books. If memory serves a good 60% of my higher education consisted of reading really crap books. Most of them were mandatory.

Comment

Ha, Radio 4 and The Spectator's Rod Liddle, never more comfortable than when he's speaking to the ordinary folk in their own language.

Don't the Sun's readers feel patronised by his blatantly dumbing down for them?

Comment

How do you patronize a Sun reader?

Comment

Ask them to spell Great Britain?

Comment

Comment

Rod Liddle thinks that the 3 nations + Ireland (!) will all be rooting for England, how sweet. He’s a very lost boy, isn’t he? He’s become desperately desperate, he just doesn’t know what contrarian bollocks to write these days to get noticed.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/h...fans-x83sddg80

"[...] football fans in Cardiff, Edinburgh, Belfast and Dublin will be rooting for us as the only representatives of these isles."

Well, not the Scots, Welsh & Irish I know in the North East, and certainly not the few Northern Irish people I know in Yorkshire, that’s for sure.

I like that bit underneath:

Rod Liddle says he was sent to bed during the 1966 World Cup final before extra time. That match kicked off at 3pm. So he was sent to bed at 4.45pm. Rod’s parents must have enjoyed his company as much as a significant proportion of your readership does every Sunday.

George Smyth, Co Down
                              Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 30-06-2018, 07:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                Liddle now using his Sun column to bully a woman of colour and call for her sacking

https://twitter.com/priyamvadagopal/status/1011579932382781440
                                How the fuck did this guy become a senior BBC editor.
                                Same way Humphrys and Dimbleby became senior and respected broadcasters?

Comment

Not going to link to it as it is in The Sun but, apparently, Liddle has come out against the Boxing Day Hunts and the police's inaction towards them.

Comment

As my gran used to say, even a stopped clock isn’t a complete cunt twice a day.

Comment

I think I would like your gran.

Comment

Is Liddle the one in the middle?

https://twitter.com/spectator/status/1082595147441979393

Comment

Doesn't he get bored turning route one cobblers like this out, week after month after year?

Comment

He probably has some kind of 'PC outrage generator' thing that he presses, a bit like the old DM headline generator, and does it purely for the Trolololols.
                                            Last edited by Kevin S; 08-01-2019, 12:07.

Comment

Thankfully that article is behind a paywall for me but I'm intrigued as to who the "sexual deviants" are meant to be in 'The Archers'.

I've always had my suspicions about Pat & Tony, mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                ...I'm intrigued as to who the "sexual deviants" are meant to be in 'The Archers'.
                                                This has tempted me to start listening to Radio 4 more effectively than any of the BBC's own cross promotion. Agent Liddle is a valuable asset to the Corporation, even if they officially deny all knowledge of him.

In any case, while Liddle's readers undoubtedly recognise what they are supposed to get het up about, it is unlikely whether they would actually want to go back to the imaginary paradise of good sense and simplicity that the Evil New is unfavourably compared to, any more than he would when he isn't wanking for coins. Look at all the fancy foreign desserts that we're supposed to prefer to badly made tapioca and sawdust pudding. It's shocking, Rod, just shocking, would you like another profiterole?

Comment

Never knowingly a blazing hypocrite.

https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1084434177305575424

Comment

Liddle is one of those obnoxious turds that refuses to be flushed around the u-bend.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X