Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are your childhood TV favourites faring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly, for British posters, we'll have to ignore the ones found guilty of sexual harassment and child abuse.

Not well
    David Bellamy—tedious global warming denier
    Johnny Ball—see above
    Yvette Fielding—Most Haunted. Enough said

Good
    The Chuckle Brothers—still going strong. Last seen with Tinchy Stryder
    The late Casey Kasem—stood up to music censorship and the voice of Shaggy

I forgot about Keith Chegwin—last time I saw him was on Naked Jungle.

Comment

Fair

Derek Griffifth, he of 70's Beeb kids' telly, has returned in some voiceover form, but sadly for a poxy loans firm.

Comment

Brian Cant - security and mime consultant for Academi (formerly known as Blackwater) in Aylesbury.

Comment

OK

Sally James - runs a school uniform business in Cobham, Surrey. Doing panto.

Hope I haven't stirred too many adolescent echoes there. I certainly did for myself.

Comment

Bugger, I forgot about Floella Benjamin. Apart from being the only Floella I know of, she's the highly achieving educational campaigner and life peer, Baroness Benjamin of Beckenham.

Comment

I was massively in love with Janine Turner from Northern Exposure. Sadly, she's turned out to be a Tea Party maniac.

Comment

Bob Wilson has had more than his fair share of karma thrown at him over the past few years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Wil...#Personal_life

Comment

gloveguy wrote: I was massively in love with Janine Turner from Northern Exposure. Sadly, she's turned out to be a Tea Party maniac.
                  Me too. She also turned out to be a plastic surgery victim.

Comment

A quick search on Google Images and I have to say Janine Turner's not doing too bad on the cosmetic surgery in comparison to, for example, er...Shane Warne. The right-wing nutjob stuff is very disappointing, though.

John Noakes is now 80 and is reported to be quite bitter about his Blue Peter years and especially his treatment by Biddie Baxter. Gratifying in a way that he's reverted to curmudgeonly Yorkshire type rather than going chirpily into that good night.
                    He also apparently teaches the Romance languages.

Comment

I immediately thought of Rod, Jane and Freddy, running cocaine across south America or some shit, but that would require three lots of googling and I'm fucked and doing this sneakily at somebodies house. But I wanted first dibs on Rod, Jane and Freddy.

Comment

Haddock wrote: A quick search on Google Images and I have to say Janine Turner's not doing too bad on the cosmetic surgery
                        I think a lot of the work she had done was temporary (botox, whatever the hell they inject into people's lips), and she looks a lot better now than she did 5 or 6 years ago.

Comment

Timmy Mallett came into our village pub during the summer, apparently on a cycling tour of the area. Shamelessly, he came in armed with photos of himself ready to sign for the bar staff "for their wall". Neither of them, both being under 30, had the faintest idea who he was, much to the amusement of me and others at the bar who did recognise the twat.

Comment

Mallett's nemesis Tommy Boyd seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. He was rumoured at one time to rake the bunkers at some Hampshire golf course inbetween TV and radio jobs.

Comment

Peter Duncan is 60 years old. 60!

He, like Simon Groom and Mark Curry, is still operating on the outer reaches of show business, variously acting, directing, producing and motivational speaking/life coaching.

I didn't know Mark Curry was gay until Wikipedia told me a few minutes ago. I guess he had to keep that quiet at the time, I doubt Biddy Baxter would have stood for that.

Comment

Blimey, neither did I. Notoriously, Michael Sundin, who briefly replaced Peter Duncan on Blue Peter in the mid '80s, was forced out of the show allegedly after rumours about his gay lifestyle got around, although Biddy Baxter claimed it was simply due to the audience not liking him.

Peter Duncan is superbly well-preserved for 60. He was made Chief Scout a few years ago by the Scout Association, which aroused minor controversy because he'd only been a Cub as a kid and not gone on to Scouts at the time. For anyone who remembers him doing all the crazy outdoor stuff on Blue Peter and Duncan Dares* however, he was obviously a brilliant choice. (Is Bear Grylls still in the role now?)

(*And in Flash Gordon, although his character's daring cost him his life there, admittedly.)

I wonder what Zippy, George and Bungle are up to now? I've just googled Rod, Jane & Freddy and found that apparently they were originally 'Rod, Jane & Matt', the latter being Matthew Corbett, who had to leave when he took over doing Sooty from his dad Harry. Heh, and further inquiry reveals also that the latter was nephew to Harry Ramsden, he of chip shop fame.
                                And heh, apparently the Zippy puppet was meant to be blue-coloured in Rainbow, but Geoffrey — a Dundee Utd fan — convinced them to make it that sort of tangerine colour instead due to his allegiance.

Comment

jwdd27 wrote: He, like Simon Groom and Mark Curry, is still operating on the outer reaches of show business, variously acting, directing, producing and motivational speaking/life coaching.
                                  Simon Groom has a guesthouse in Derbyshire.

Comment

My wife and I bumped into John Craven filming Countryfile on Cromer beach (we were there for a wedding) a couple of years ago. Had a brief chat with him. I'm pleased to report he's an absolutely charming man. I told him he was a bit of a hero of mine from my childhood to which he replied that he gets that all the time from people of a certain age.

Comment

Simon Groom presented a weekend show on Radio Sheffield for years, though not sure when this stopped. A look at the schedules for the station also shows up Andy Crane presenting the Sunday breakfast show.

Comment

Is Bobby Bennett of Junior Showtime fame still with us?

Comment

Crane pops up on various BBC radio stations as a reserve presenter.

Didn't Geoffrey from Rainbow find himself driving a taxi to earn a living after the show ran it's course?

Comment

Neil Buchanan, he of number 73, art attack and finders keepers fame has been touring with his band Marseille, which formed in 1976. They were part of the New Wave of the British Heavy Metal scene

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: I forgot about Keith Chegwin—last time I saw him was on Naked Jungle.
                                              He also had a small role in extras. I was genuinely going to write 'small part', but saw the naked jungle open goal and changed it.

Comment

Hugo Myatt aka Treguard from the kids role playing game show Knightmare, a show that is screaming for a remake seems to get a fair bit of work as a voice actor.

Comment

Andy Townsends Tactics Truck wrote:
                                                  I was genuinely going to write 'small part', but saw the naked jungle open goal and changed it.
                                                  What on earth is the matter with you?

Did Magna Carta die in vain?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X