Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Television of 2014

Sarah and Duck would be right up there.
    Not with me it wouldn't. Abney and Teal maybe. Was Charlie and Lola on CBeebies, cos that's brilliant?

Sarah and Duck was never going to be a hit with me after they showed Duck liking bread. People feeding bread to ducks cause problems both for the ducks themselves and the pond ecosystem in general. The last thing we need, when people are ignoring park notices discouraging/prohibiting it, is some bloody kids' telly programme practically promoting it.

Comment

Television of 2014

Luke R wrote: @AT3

Your wish is (someone's) command. Looking at the line-up though, I'm not convinced.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2014/12/02/21418/cheers_to_that%21
      Not a single woman? WTF?

Comment

Television of 2014

I quite enjoyed the new Cosmos, though a lot of that was down to it having Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Worst show of the year for me is Paw Patrol that my 2 eldest have got into. Not sure what channel that's on elsewhere, but its so relentlessly upbeat I need a lie down and travel sickness pill afterwards. Sarah and Duck is marvellous and the complete opposite.

Comment

Television of 2014

E10 Rifle wrote: I'd be up for a separate thread discussing favourite CBeebies programmes, since I've watched that channel more than any others this year, and in which Sarah and Duck would be right up there.
          Ha, yes, that and kids' programmes on Netflix. I love Sarah and Duck and Abney and Teal but unfortunately my daughter is obsessed with Team UmiZoomi (poor) and Pocoyo (insanely addictive) repeats.

Comment

Television of 2014

Following the recommendations on here and having had it recommended to me, I decided to check out true detective.

***SPOILERS-ISH***

And I've been hooked by every aspect of it, but I must give special mention to the last fifteen minutes of episode four, where Mcconaughey's character carries out a robbery with some old biker contacts...I don't think I've had my attention held quite so effectively by a scene.

Comment

Television of 2014

Cub: More duck! More duck! More Duck! Pease. Pease more duck. Daddy more Duck?
              Hobbes: You may watch 1 more duck
              Cub: Ummore duck. Ummore duck.

7 minutes later...

Cub: More Duck! More Duck! More Duck! Pease? Pease more duck? Daddy more Duck?

It's like baby smack.

Comment

Television of 2014

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                The return of Homeland

Season three was a train-wreck of mega proportions but Clare Danes grabbed this one by the thrusters and turned her character into a breathing metaphor for the USA's psychopathic foreign policy. An absolutely stunning performance.
                What a return to form! Not only Series 3, but 95 per cent of series 2 was a waste of time.

No one plays mad better than Danes. Truly brilliant performance.

******Spoilers*****

The opening episode was a genuine shocker. And after a lull - why bother with the baby stuff then ignore it? - the series has really zipped along.

The most recent episode they showed in the UK was the prisoner exchange, followed by the Taliban breaking into the US embassy - at the end of which me and my wife were left open-mouthed. A fantastic cliff-hanger.

/******Spoilers*****

The Missing has been harrowing viewing at times, especially the early episodes. It's borrowed loads from the first series of the Killing, but the performances of a couple being torn apart by grief have been riveting.

Comment

Television of 2014

I enjoyed Love/Hate on RTE, but I think they would be mad to do another series. The story arc has been completed, and so many characters have died that it's difficult to see where the thing can semi-plausibly go next, unless they decide to concentrate on Terence Big Balls or Patrick the Traveller.

Maybe they should shift the whole thing to Spain and let us have a look at Terence running his empire in the sun. It would be better than looking at hundreds more grey, wintry shots of Cabra or Dolphin's Barn.

Comment

Television of 2014

Remember Me had a promising start, but ended up as a damp squib!

Comment

Television of 2014

good middle too, but yeah, a fanny of an ending

Comment

Television of 2014

And I've been hooked by every aspect of it, but I must give special mention to the last fifteen minutes of episode four, where Mcconaughey's character carries out a robbery with some old biker contacts...I don't think I've had my attention held quite so effectively by a scene.
                        I hate to break it to you, but it never quite hits those stylistic heights again and becomes something much more mundane, albeit very well acted. For some reason, though, the second half of the season decides to be a lot less virtuoso and, well, off the wall.

Comment

Television of 2014

Green Calx wrote: I enjoyed Love/Hate on RTE, but I think they would be mad to do another series. The story arc has been completed, and so many characters have died that it's difficult to see where the thing can semi-plausibly go next, unless they decide to concentrate on Terence Big Balls or Patrick the Traveller.
                          I've only seen the first series, but I found the acting generally a bit ropey. Robert Sheehan in particular was laughably bad.

Comment

Television of 2014

Spoilers!Spoilers!Spoilers!Spoilers!Spoilers!Spoil ers!

The most recent episode they showed in the UK was the prisoner exchange, followed by the Taliban breaking into the US embassy - at the end of which me and my wife were left open-mouthed. A fantastic cliff-hanger.

The following episode doesn't disappoint either.

Comment

Television of 2014

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Spoilers!Spoilers!Spoilers!Spoilers!Spoilers!Spoil ers!

The following episode doesn't disappoint either.
                              I watched the first few of the new season of Homeland. Even though its way better than seasons 2 and 3, I just can't be bothered to care about it any more. None of the characters are very likeable or sympathetic. It's just a bit depressing. And the distinct possibility that it could start sucking again hangs over everything. That guy who played Brody wasn't a good actor and the entire romance was impossible to believe, and yet it still seems to be driving some of the plot. I decided to just tell it all to fuck off.

There seems to be a lot of that with me and TV. There are a number of shows that I know are very well made, but don't appeal to me. Showtime's The Affair is like that. Same with Walking Dead, American Horror Story, and Elementary. My disinterest in the latter is hard to explain because I am a big Sherlock Holmes fan.

My favorite shows are Gotham, Arrow, and The Flash. DC Comics superheroes were important to my adolescent development, so I'm always interested to see an new interpretations of them. Plus, they're pretty well-done for this sort of thing. Gotham is especially cool. But I don't expect normal adults to like them.

I'm not so much of a fan of Agents of Shield, but I keep watching it anyway. AOS is like eating just the flakes in a bowl of raisin-bran. It's just the boring plot parts of the Marvel movies without the superheroes or the exciting action and effects.

Netflix now has Black Mirror which I got into because it was described as similar to The Twilight Zone in that it's a sci-fi anthology, but each episode is an hour, whereas TZ were half-hour stories. Also, Black Mirror doesn't have a narrator - at least the first two don't - and it doesn't seem like it's going to routinely throw in an ironic twist at the end.

In the first episode, the conspicuous lack of a twist was the twist, I guess. The first one really isn't sci-fi. I feel really bad for the pig.

Comment

Television of 2014

None of the characters are very likeable or sympathetic. It's just a bit depressing. And the distinct possibility that it could start sucking again hangs over everything.

Saul's at least a bit likeable surely?

But, it's true, it's Carrie's unlikeability that fascinates. She's a genuinely hideous character, made even more so by the glimpses of humanity (but never humility) that she occasionally shows.

Comment

Television of 2014

Amor de Cosmos wrote: None of the characters are very likeable or sympathetic. It's just a bit depressing. And the distinct possibility that it could start sucking again hangs over everything.

Saul's at least a bit likeable surely?

But, it's true, it's Carrie's unlikeability that fascinates. She's a genuinely hideous character, made even more so by the glimpses of humanity (but never humility) that she occasionally shows.
                                  He's ok, but he never seems to really learn from his mistakes.

Ultimately, I just don't care what happens to any of the characters, because there's really no good outcome. If they "win," Pakistan is fucked. If they lose, Pakistan is fucked.

Comment

Television of 2014

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                    I hate to break it to you, but it never quite hits those stylistic heights again and becomes something much more mundane, albeit very well acted. For some reason, though, the second half of the season decides to be a lot less virtuoso and, well, off the wall.
                                    Ah, that's a bit of a shame.
                                    Just watched that scene back, and what I could have sworn was fifteen minutes was closer to five minutes, there was just so much going on it felt longer.

Comment

Television of 2014

Ultimately, I just don't care what happens to any of the characters, because there's really no good outcome. If they "win," Pakistan is fucked. If they lose, Pakistan is fucked.

But some of the greatest drama the world's produced has no good outcome. Most Greek tragedies and Hamlet for example. Is that your main criterion for what you watch?

Comment

Television of 2014

I've very much enjoyed Agents of Shield, especially now they can't just summon a helicarrier to fix problems. Also, introducing Mockingbird was a nice touch.

Sadly we get Nick Jr. and so Peppa Fucking Pig and Ben And Holly's Little Bastard Kingdom feature. I especially loathe the voice of the woman who plays the rabbits/Nanny Plum, it drives me nuts.

Enjoying the current BBC4 series on castles. BBC4 has the sort of shows BBC2 used to have in the old days, measured, well written documentaries and then interesting stuff.

Dr Who and Sherlock, obviously.

I also discovered WWE NXT which is brilliant. I know pro wrestling treats the talent worse than shit and Vince McMahon is a terrible human being, but it's nice seeing young, hungry wrestlers being allowed to use their full skill set rather than the fives moves of doom they are restricted to on the main shows. Also, Bayley is really hot.

Comment

Television of 2014

Fussbudget wrote:
                                          Originally posted by Green Calx
                                          I enjoyed Love/Hate on RTE, but I think they would be mad to do another series. The story arc has been completed, and so many characters have died that it's difficult to see where the thing can semi-plausibly go next, unless they decide to concentrate on Terence Big Balls or Patrick the Traveller.
                                          I've only seen the first series, but I found the acting generally a bit ropey. Robert Sheehan in particular was laughably bad.
                                          The first season was very ramshackle and not at all believable. I skipped season two for that very reason. I rejoined it on season three due to word of mouth, and it had improved by huge leaps and bounds.

Robert Sheehan is the least convincing skanger you'll ever see. But by this stage most of the cast do look the part. Indeed, one or two of them are convicted criminals.

Comment

Television of 2014

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Ultimately, I just don't care what happens to any of the characters, because there's really no good outcome. If they "win," Pakistan is fucked. If they lose, Pakistan is fucked.

But some of the greatest drama the world's produced has no good outcome. Most Greek tragedies and Hamlet for example. Is that your main criterion for what you watch?
                                            Not good for the protagonists, perhaps, but at least something happens and the characters learn stuff or pay a price for not learning stuff. In Hamlet, Fortinbras rolls in and represents a new beginning. In Romeo & Juliet, the families get their comeuppance for being so petty and nasty.

Homeland just goes around in circles. Nothing is accomplished and nobody except Quinn seems to care. I'd watch it if it was about him. Sometimes, pointlessness can be the point. There's probably a way to tell a story about the war on terror that would show that in an new and interesting way, but Homeland seems to be trying too hard to be thrilling and tense.

Comment

Television of 2014

So your issue is that there's no outcome at all, good or bad?

Homeland just goes around in circles.

I dunno. Brodie's death was a pretty definite end point to Homeland 1.0.

Nothing is accomplished and nobody except Quinn seems to care.

True, American impotence is pretty much the theme of Homeland 2.0 But the way individual characters handle that, or don't, is what makes it so fascinating. If there's a flaw it's that Danes is head and shoulders above anyone else in the cast at revealing this.* Rupert Friend, sadly, can't live on the same set with her, which is unfortunate because his character is important.

*Except Mandy, and Laila Robins who plays the Ambassador.

Parenthetically Fortinbras's last line (and Hamlet's) is:

"Go, bid the soldiers shoot."

Which doesn't seem like much of a new beginning.

Comment

Television of 2014

Amor de Cosmos wrote: So your issue is that there's no outcome at all, good or bad?
                                                Yeah. I guess so. I'm not entirely sure. But last time I tried to watch it - episode five or six of this season - I just felt a sense of dread and general ugh. Like eating kale.

I dunno. Brodie's death was a pretty definite end point to Homeland 1.0.
                                                Yeah, but the story that lead to that was increasingly preposterous.

Nothing is accomplished and nobody except Quinn seems to care.

True, American impotence is pretty much the theme of Homeland 2.0 But the way individual characters handle that, or don't, is what makes it so fascinating. If there's a flaw it's that Danes is head and shoulders above anyone else in the cast at revealing this.* Rupert Friend, sadly, can't live on the same set with her, which is unfortunate because his character is important.

*Except Mandy, and Laila Robins who plays the Ambassador.
                                                Yeah. But it does have the guy who played Danny Noonan in Caddy Shack

Parenthetically Fortinbras's last line (and Hamlet's) is:

"Go, bid the soldiers shoot."
                                                That's because they're doing a ceremonial gun salute to Hamlet.

Before all that he says:

For me, with sorrow I embrace my fortune:
                                                I have some rights of memory in this kingdom,
                                                Which now to claim my vantage doth invite me.

Comment

Television of 2014

Yes, but he doesn't sound too thrilled about it. The entire eulogy reflects a major lack of enthusiasm on his part. And yes, the last line is, literally, a salute, but it also implies what's coming. They're not the last words the audience hears by accident.

I just felt a sense of dread and general ugh. Like eating kale.

Bit hard on the leafy green veg but fair otherwise. But, y'know, that's American foreign policy. Homeland 2.0 gets it.

Comment

Television of 2014

He doesn't have to be happy about it. The point is that Denmark won't be plunged into a leadership crisis with its whole royal family murdered.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X