The big gig thread 2015 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, don't mess with our ageing synth legends, Calvert, or you might find yourself passing on our personal regards to Edgar Froese.
    It's a sad day for free speech when one can't laugh at some old scrote knocking out crappy blip-blop to 12 bored punters in the function room of the White Hart without being threatened with imminent death.

JE SUIS CALVERT!

Comment

Old scrotes and bored punters have feelings too, sir.

Je suis vieux scrote!

Comment

Went to the rescheduled British Sea Power + Redbridge Brass Band 'Sea of Brass' gig at the Barbican on Sunday, with high expectations. It didn't quite work for me, I have to say. Some numbers, such as 'The Great Skua' or 'Lately' sounded fantastic with the new arrangement, whilst on other songs it just didn't seem to hit the mark.

I was sat dead centre at the front, and maybe that was the problem. I couldn't really hear the band over BSP for much of the set. Was a nice, varied set, with old numbers and a few b-sides, but now i'm just looking forward to June and hearing 'Decline Of' in full, with added Eamon.

Off to see P J Harvey record her new album at Somerset House next Wednesday, so looking forward to that. Hopefully they'll be a major studio falling out or something...

Comment

Artist: Natalie Prass
          Venue: The Lexington, London
          Tickets: £8.00
          Support: Chelou. A well spoken young man playing acoustic singer/songwriter stuff, given a bit of propulsion by a drummer. It sounded pleasant enough but I always feel a bit awkward listening to heartfelt lyrics knowing that it might as well be Mahna Mahna for all I care, almost like eavesdropping on a stranger's argument.
          Drinks: Two pints of Lexington Lager, one large glass of white wine.
          Audience annoyance: Minimal. There were two chumps in front of me who kept their backpacks on throughout the entire show, but it didn't cause any great problem.
          The music: Excellent. Natalie Prass plays slightly retro, southern/country pop soul. Lovely clear voice, without any extraneous vocal acrobatics. Good, if slightly nervous, audience interaction. Diversions included a Janet Jackson cover and a song accompanied only by a string quartet. Sound backing from three beardy men: I'm not sure what the band/label set-up is, possibly a Dap-Tone house band type thing. Highly recommended if that's your kind of thing.

Comment

I'll be seeing 6 bands at three separate venues on Saturday, in an all-night gigging/clubbing marathon!

First up, there's Vile Electrodes, who - along with The Domino State - will be supporting Mesh at The Garage.

Secondly, there's a free 'afterparty' for that event, with B-Movie playing at the Slimelight.

Finally - and fortuitously right next door to the Slime - there's London Modular Alliance, who are playing at the Kaos club night, along with The Mary X incident. All the times seem to dovetail nicely.

After that, it'll be back into the Slime to shelter until the trains start running!

I'm already in training!

Comment

Blimey, if that's the same B-Movie from the early 80s ... I was on their guest list when they supported Duran Duran at what became Busby's in 1981! Think their singer was at Coventry Art School with my bf of the time. They were pretty good in their own right.

Comment

Benjm wrote: Artist: Natalie Prass
                Venue: The Lexington, London
                Tickets: £8.00
                Support: Chelou. A well spoken young man playing acoustic singer/songwriter stuff, given a bit of propulsion by a drummer. It sounded pleasant enough but I always feel a bit awkward listening to heartfelt lyrics knowing that it might as well be Mahna Mahna for all I care, almost like eavesdropping on a stranger's argument.
                Drinks: Two pints of Lexington Lager, one large glass of white wine.
                Audience annoyance: Minimal. There were two chumps in front of me who kept their backpacks on throughout the entire show, but it didn't cause any great problem.
                The music: Excellent. Natalie Prass plays slightly retro, southern/country pop soul. Lovely clear voice, without any extraneous vocal acrobatics. Good, if slightly nervous, audience interaction. Diversions included a Janet Jackson cover and a song accompanied only by a string quartet. Sound backing from three beardy men: I'm not sure what the band/label set-up is, possibly a Dap-Tone house band type thing. Highly recommended if that's your kind of thing.
                Sounds good, got the album which came out this week and while it's not flawless there's a lot to be drawn in by and hope she tours properly next time, think the London show was a one off.

Comment

A slightly modified format, if it pleases the forum...

Artist: Clinic.
                  Venue: The Half Moon, Putney, London.
                  Tickets: £10.00 plus £1.00 booking fee. Sold Out.
                  Support: The Bohicas (No comment - too busy chatting in the bar.).
                  Weather: Sleet, becoming drier later. Taters - throughout.
                  Pink Ticket arrangements:

Standard agreement applied for and accepted w/b 2nd January 2015. i.e. - drop off and pick up at a local British Rail station, the return mileage of which not to exceed 15 miles (for example, Leighton Buzzard or Aylesbury, but effectively ruling out Tring).

Pre gig shenanigans:
                  a. Browsing in Sister Ray, Berwick Street.
                  b. Leyton Orient 1-4 Scunthorpe United. The Iron outclassing Orient in most departments. Hopper just one letter removed from reminders of a past player, but equally effective.
                  Drinks:
                  a. Birkbeck Tavern, Leyton (with the London and South East branch of the SU supporters club) - Two pints of Malden Gold. A light and refreshing dinnertime ale
                  b. Half Moon Putney - A mixture of Aspalls and a couple of other bitters. My head deserves to feel as it does right now.
                  Audience annoyance: Mild. I accidentally nudged a bloke in front of me who chose to blank my efforts of apology. Almost all who chose to sing along to 'Nuns' (Walking With Thee) tripped up on the last 'No'.. a schoolboy error that UK audiences never seem to get right. (Only two 'No's at the end!)
                  The music: A no surprises set of old and relatively new. Clinic are often bedevilled by poor sound but not tonight. Be-masked, as usual, in a Stoke Mandeville Hospital style, we got Evil Bill, IPC and Cement Mixer together with See-Saw as a set of brilliant stompers. Then they threw in 'I Ching' which, although stems the flow, cleanses the palate with a 'what the bloody hell was THAT'. I love this band.

Comment

Walt Flanagans Dog wrote:
                    Sounds good, got the album which came out this week and while it's not flawless there's a lot to be drawn in by and hope she tours properly next time, think the London show was a one off.
                    NP mentioned coming back to the UK almost immediately but I checked and (so far) it is to support Ryan Adams next month rather than for new headline dates.

Comment

Benjm wrote:
                      Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog
                      NP mentioned coming back to the UK almost immediately but I checked and (so far) it is to support Ryan Adams next month rather than for new headline dates.
                      Yeah saw that, none of the dates are accessible for me, she's playing End of the Road later in the year too.

Comment

Tickets bought today:

Chris & Cosey

Vile Electrodes / Sista Mannen Pa Jorden

Eric Random

...and I'm a happy Clivey!

(edit: Also pondering if I can really afford to see Laibach (again) and Swans (again). Also waiting for Minny Pops tickets to go on sale, but that won't be for a while yet, I think.)

Comment

I'm going to see The Replacements in June, which is quite exciting. Slightly risky proposition, but reports of their recent shows have been very positive.

In the short term, Jane Weaver is next up on the 14th. This has involved a certain amount of groundwork in flagging up how it is the second worst day of the year to go out for a meal for two, so why not do something different instead.

Comment

Annoyed I can't see The Replacements as i'm seeing the Manics that night in Southampton. Have picked up however a ticket for John Grant in November at Hammersmith Apollo.

Comment

I doubt you'll have any long term regrets, RobW - the Holy Bible show I caught at the Roundhouse was fantastic, even by the Manics' own high standard.

Comment

Benjm wrote: I doubt you'll have any long term regrets, RobW - the Holy Bible show I caught at the Roundhouse was fantastic, even by the Manics' own high standard.
                                I know, I went twice. This was a Christmas present to accompany my brother, so can't back out! Just hoping The Replacements announce a tour or second London date...

Comment

Hurrah, prayers answered. 3rd June at the Roundhouse announced. http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/2015/the-replacements/

Saw H. Hawkline at Electrowerkz last night. The configuration of that place seems to change every time I visit. Smallish room, but not packed out. Nice 50 minute odd set, largely consisting of recent output. First time i'd seen him, so looking forward to future gigs.

Making it two Welsh solo artists in one week tomorrow by seeing Gruff Rhys at Koko. I think former Pipette singer Gwenno is support.

Comment

Artist: Pere Ubu
                                    Venue: Das Bett, Frankfurt
                                    Tickets: 20 Euros
                                    Drinks/drugs etc.: Just one cold, dark Hefeweizen.
                                    Support: None - I'm beginning to hope/suspect this is house policy. PU played a half hour first set which David Thomas described by way of introduction as "what would happen if you put a load of monkeys on stage with some pedals." In fact it was a mixture of dirty blues, Americana-punk, industrial electronica and free jazz - which if you'd tried to sell me on, I'd probably have gone for a walk, but it was incredible.
                                    Main act: For the more conventional main set, David Thomas exhorted us not to applaud between songs. I love him for this - I hate applause as much as I hate support acts and encores. "I'm an old man," he says from the seat he's hobbled over to. "I don't have time for that any more, I've got things to be doing. Think of all the time I waste every day listening to people like you applaud." When some audience members insist, he gets quite tetchy ("We are not friends"), and finally there's silence - one song finishes, he starts his sardonic narrative to introduce the next one. A lot of stuff from last year's 'Carnival of Souls', all of which sounds much better live than on the record, and some older stuff thrown in like 'Caroline', which I don't know but love. The whole set is sonically and visually captivating from first note/wail to last, except for the surprising encore, which seems to be trawled through just to give the young Jesus-clone drummer time to set up the merch stand.
                                    Audience annoyance: One drunken white rasta was walking around making weird noises and harassing people, but a stoney glare kept him well away from me. There was some twat filming with his phone right down the front, and I was waiting for Thomas to bring him down but it never came.
                                    Overall mark: This was my first Pere Ubu concert for 34 years - last saw them at Leicester University in 1981 on a bill with Delta 5 and Gang of Four. I wasn't keen back then, but what the hell did I know when I was 15? 10/10.

Comment

No need to thank me, RobW, but my jumping in on the first date made it all but inevitable that another would be announced later (so notionally more desirable) in the week.

Comment

imp wrote: last saw them [Pere Ubu] at Leicester University in 1981 on a bill with Delta 5 and Gang of Four
                                        I saw that tour at Sheffield University. Damn fine gig. That was the one where I was shouting "Squirm punks, this is funk" for reasons that seemed sensible at the time...

Comment

I've still got a couple of pages from the tour programme, which I cut up and slapped on my bedroom wall. And now I wish I hadn't done that and still had the whole thing. But like I say, there's no accounting for what 15-year-olds do. I was also convinced that I would one day marry Roz out of Delta 5.

We were so punk - hitched back to Market Rasen from Leicester on a school night. OK, that's a lie. We were on an organised bus and my Mum, bless her, picked us up in Lincoln at two in the morning and drove us home.

Comment

imp wrote: I was also convinced that I would one day marry Roz out of Delta 5.
                                            Might be worthy of thread on its own but I was similarly convinced on, in chronological order..
                                            Lesley Woods (Au Pairs)
                                            Judy Evans (Girls at Our Best, especially after I bought her a drink at their gig at The Priory in Scunthorpe)
                                            Elizabeth Fraser (convinced I was better than that old biffa)
                                            Manuela Zwingmann (Xmal Deutschland)

Comment

RobW wrote: Saw H. Hawkline at Electrowerkz last night. The configuration of that place seems to change every time I visit.
                                              You're right, Rob - it does.

It started life as just The Slimelight (the Goth/Industrial club I used to visit about every other week from 89-93). However, after only infrequent visits to the place after that, I eventually attended my first gig there around 2000: Richard H. Kirk, as part of a Soul Jazz label night. He was tucked away in the ground floor room - somewhere I don't think I ever visited in my original clubbing days there - whilst A Certain Ratio played on what was the old main dancefloor, on the first floor.

I went there again, a couple of weekends back for two events: B-Movie were playing an 'afterparty', following the Vile Electrodes/Mesh gig at The Garage and London Modular Alliance were playing as part of the 'Kaos' club night. The B-Movie gig took place in that same downstairs room as Kirk played (and I'm guessing was where your gig took place too) while this 'Kaos' club night was on the first floor, where A Certain Ratio had played. The Slimelight simply seemed to get bumped into other rooms.

On the one hand, the Electrowerkz complex seems like quite a versatile space, therefore, but on the other there are some drawbacks: on nights such as the last one, with two events going on in different rooms, it was a nightmare for the poor security blokes, who were having to check everyone for different-coloured wristbands as they tried to access each area. It was a bit confusing even for them, to be honest. Also, the cloakroom was covering for both events, so it took ages to get served there. Fortunately, everyone was very pleasant and patient, so it was no biggy. It was also the first time I'd visited the 'courtyard' area there, which seemed like a nice place to take a break from the music rooms. Overall, though, it felt like the Slimelight is dying on its arse as a club night, while these one-offs seem to be doing a roaring trade. It'd be a shame if The Slimelight died completely, as it helped make the venue in the first place, but I think I can probably see a time where it has to relocate to a different site, just so it can continue to make ends meet. It's still nice to have a place that opens until 7:30am, though, so you can shelter there (until the Sunday trains start running) after other events you might have been to have closed.

Comment

One was kind of spoiled for choice regarding future marriage partners with Xmal Deutschland, wasn't one?

Comment

Great time watching Gruff Rhys last night. First time in ages i'd got to a venue early enough to get right at the front. Gwenno Saunders was the support and was excellent. Every song sung in Welsh, bar the last one, which was sung in Cornish, backed only by a Korg. Weird that I must have seen her last about 8-9 years ago as one of The Pipettes. Will have to give her latest album a spin.

I did see Gruff doing his American Interior stuff last year, but this tour is with a full band. At times it felt more like a lecture, all be it a very funny one, as he precedes to tell the story of John Evans and his fruitless search for a Welsh speaking tribe of native Americans.
                                                  His deadpan delivery is wonderful and I get as much pleasure from his narration as I do from his songs. Besides playing most of the songs from American Interior, he adds a couple from Candylion and three or four from Hotel Shampoo.
                                                  Suspect that this is the last time he'll be touring American Interior, but at least I have the book to read again. It's a great story, wonderfully told.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X