The big gig thread 2015 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting in early and stealing imp's idea for next year.

I've just booked to see Ward Thomas in April 2015.

(In one of those moments akin to realising you aren't going to be 'discovered' and become the star striker for your beloved team, I have realised that I am just about old enough to be their Dad.)

Fat White Family in January ... I'm actually rearranging my holiday around them.

Comment

Fucking hell.
      They're not actually that fat, are they ?

Comment

Haha, very good.

Comment

LOLvert.

I've realized the main thing I'm going to miss about DC is the number of great venues here and the number of bands that come through the area. I've looked through the concerts for Frankfurt for the first three months of next year and there's fuck all of any interest to me. Though our new pad is a few minutes walk from the Jazz Keller. And the Opera House too, though the first two weeks I'm there they've got that putrid Ben Elton/Queen musical on every fucking night.

Comment

Just got my ticket for Zounds in Oxford in April. The first time they've been back to the Ox since about 1982 or summat.

Can't wait!

Comment

Whoa!
              Zounds were class. I'm a little bit jealous. If they venture this way I might even bother my arse going.
              Dirty Squatters, Did He Jump and Little Bit More are just superb.
              I think they were on a label called Fuck Off Records before.
              Hahaha.

Comment

imp wrote: LOLvert.

I've realized the main thing I'm going to miss about DC is the number of great venues here and the number of bands that come through the area. I've looked through the concerts for Frankfurt for the first three months of next year and there's fuck all of any interest to me. Though our new pad is a few minutes walk from the Jazz Keller. And the Opera House too, though the first two weeks I'm there they've got that putrid Ben Elton/Queen musical on every fucking night.
                Most of the gigs in that area seem to happen in Offenbach. The burghers of Frankfurt are historically down on live music...or indeed any kind of fun.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: The burghers of Frankfurt are historically down on live music...or indeed any kind of fun.
                  I've lived there before, so I know that's bollocks. You want people down on fun, come to suburban US.

Comment

Calvert wrote: Whoa!
                    Zounds were class. I'm a little bit jealous. If they venture this way I might even bother my arse going.
                    Dirty Squatters, Did He Jump and Little Bit More are just superb.
                    I think they were on a label called Fuck Off Records before.
                    Hahaha.
                    Subvert is one of my all-time favourite tracks.

Comment

Charlatans at Hull Uni on March 9th. I've watched no end of 'local' band gigs this year, so I'm rather bloody excited for this one.

Comment

The Beards for me on Thursday.
                        The big joke being they've all got beards and sing songs about having beards.

I have my corset on standby in case my sides split.

Comment

Calvert, it's still 2014, dude. This is the 2015 gig thread.

Tsk, some people.

Comment

Well, a couple of years ago I thought it was my 46th birthday and I was actually 47.

Years aren't my thing.

Comment

Lined up so far are Lonelady in February, who I'm not that familiar with but have been invited by a pal, and Giuda in May.

Oh, and I'm going to see Elton John with my parents at Walsall FC in June. He seems to have taken to playing biggish places off the usual circuit so that ticket sales get an extra boost from the sense of local occasion. The plan is working. It remains to be seen whether my Dad will rank it on a par with Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis at Bloxwich swimming baths in the early sixties.

Comment

Benjm wrote: It remains to be seen whether my Dad will rank it on a par with Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis at Bloxwich swimming baths in the early sixties.
                                Wow. That sounds like a pretty good gig. Talk about seeing legends play.

Comment

They weren't playing, it was a swimming gala.

Comment

Jongudmund wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Benjm
                                    It remains to be seen whether my Dad will rank it on a par with Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis at Bloxwich swimming baths in the early sixties.
                                    Wow. That sounds like a pretty good gig. Talk about seeing legends play.
                                    Apparently they would be booked to play three or four different shows a night in each locality, so their performances might seem unduly hasty by modern standards. Short but sweet is far from a bad quality in pop music, of course.

Comment

Sigue Sigue Sputnik again in January at Elektrowerkz. Supported by, er, some of my mates, :-) one of whom will be playing guitar with SSS.

Comment

The 12 Bar Club joins the Buffalo Bar on the list of venues that the big gig thread won't be able to visit in 2015.

London's vibrant property development scene comes up trumps once again...

Comment

That's such a sad loss. I was in there two weeks ago, and have arranged gigs there in the past. One of the tiniest stages in London, and always a squeeze at the bar, but a great atmosphere.

Gutted.

Comment

Just seen Arrested Development are touring in March. Not coming to Oxford buy might have to get to London or Leamington to check them out.

Comment

I seem to have booked to see AC/DC at Wembley. Crivens.

Comment

Got my Arrested Development ticket - decided on the London gig because I thought it might be livelier, and I can get there on public transport.

Also bought a ticket for Sleaford Mods in Oxford. Now that I am looking forward to.

Comment

Gang of Four at Oslo in Hackney on 28 Feb .. rude not to, really.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X