Star Wars Trailer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars Trailer!

Harry Truscott wrote: Maul's use of a differing light sabre from the Jedi isn't a question of era or technology (the Jedi were using them in the prequels, obviously) but of coming from a different combat discipline.
    You mean they weren't just fashioned for a scene where he fights two people at the same time?

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Couple of points to answer questions and comments above.

Episode VII is set about 30 years after Return of the Jedi - which is why the old cast members are involved.

The Falcon needed a new dish at least because the old one got smashed off inside the second Death Star ("That was too close!")

The 'land-speeder' is a variant on the speeder-bike. There have been several different types of vehicle in the other films.

If you listen closely in the opening desert scene when the guy in stormtrooper armour suddenly appears, you can hear the sound of an Imperial Probe Droid, sounding just like it did in Empire Strikes Back.

This film isn't following any of the post-ROTJ storylines that have been developed in comics, books and computer games over the year AFAIK.

In at least one comic series, maybe more, Palpatine 'survived' by being force-beamed into a cloned body of himself. Or something.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

This is what I meant by Qatar 2022 mascot

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Best thing about the trailer?

No effing lens flare.

YAY!

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Slightly Brown wrote: My Pavlovian-dog response to the genius of John Williams aside, that trailer is wonderful. The voice sounds like Cumberbatch and a billion other people seem to agree.
            Make that a billion and one - just watched it again.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Sits wrote:
              Originally posted by Slightly Brown
              My Pavlovian-dog response to the genius of John Williams aside, that trailer is wonderful. The voice sounds like Cumberbatch and a billion other people seem to agree.
              Make that a billion and one - just watched it again.
              I thought it had been confirmed that it's Andy Serkis?

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Here is another one with a few extra snippets that weren't in the original post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_1090159597&feature= iv&src_vid=pYUSz03Jfv0&v=Do2XqfA9Ivg

And I think that new light sabre is pretty dope.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

As far a teasers go, it's fairly breathtaking in it's magnificence.

Chewbacca, X-wings and then The Millenium Falcon today, with today's effects. Yes please. Apparently Mark Hammill, Ford and Fisher are going to be seen too.

That opening bit with John Boyega. Jesus, something about that gets me going. He looks good, even in that snippet of snippets. I do hope it lives up to most expectations. I'm fucking stoked.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

There are certain sci-fi space ships that have clearly been designed to work only in space. And the TIE fighter, with its big, fragile and palpably un-aerodynamic solar panels, is one of them. An X-wing looks more streamlined and robust, I can accept that flying through an atmosphere. But not a TIE fighter.

Anyway, I'm happy that for the first time since Han Solo was frozen in carbonite, there's a Star Wars film that might not be sh*t.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Jongudmund wrote: In at least one comic series, maybe more, Palpatine 'survived' by being force-beamed into a cloned body of himself
                      Sounds like you read too much slash fiction.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Mumpo wrote: There are certain sci-fi space ships that have clearly been designed to work only in space. And the TIE fighter, with its big, fragile and palpably un-aerodynamic solar panels, is one of them. An X-wing looks more streamlined and robust, I can accept that flying through an atmosphere. But not a TIE fighter.
                        In the X-Wing series of books, this is a noted weakness of TIE fighters that is often used against them if skirmishes take place in atmosphere.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Mumpo wrote:
                          Originally posted by Jongudmund
                          In at least one comic series, maybe more, Palpatine 'survived' by being force-beamed into a cloned body of himself
                          Sounds like you read too much slash fiction.
                          No, The licensed Dark Empire comic series published by Dark Horse about 20 years ago. (I checked)

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

I sense Jongudmund is going to be invaluable on this thread for the next year.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

danielmak wrote: Here is another one with a few extra snippets that weren't in the original post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_1090159597&feature= iv&src_vid=pYUSz03Jfv0&v=Do2XqfA9Ivg

Hang on, that's Luke all Obi-Wanned up, isn't it?!

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

danielmak wrote: Here is another one with a few extra snippets that weren't in the original post:

18-19 seconds in- that Jedi is the absolute spit of Slavoj Žižek.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

In the X-Wing series of books, this is a noted weakness of TIE fighters that is often used against them if skirmishes take place in atmosphere.
                                  On the other hand, given that the prequels feature an atmosphere in space (see for instance attack droids being blown off Obi-Wan's ship by air resistance), they shouldn't fly well in space either. God, George Lucas sucks.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote:
                                    Originally posted by danielmak
                                    Here is another one with a few extra snippets that weren't in the original post:

18-19 seconds in- that Jedi is the absolute spit of Slavoj Žižek.
                                    That's who I thought was Luke.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Could someone edit that original post?

I may have over-reacted with the c word but it is still an attempt to belittle me, and to sexualise a subject which wasn't meant to be sexual or titillating (ha) in the slightest.

I was making a valid point about BMI not accounting for the weight of large breasts generally.

SP is inviting others to judge whether they find my breasts "exciting". If I started that shit when one of you mentioned your testicles or botties, it would be a bit weird, wouldn't it?

SP is a scientist, so should be able to discuss breasts without regressing to pre-teen prurience, and women should be able to post here without being subjected to sexism.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

I'll second that request.

In general, I'm healthily in touch with my sexist side, but it's a bit over-familiar isn't it?.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

I third that request.

MsD, can we take your comment about a Star Wars thread being "for the boys" as part of your angry response as well? Star Wars is for everyone :-)

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Harry Truscott wrote: I sense Jongudmund is going to be invaluable on this thread for the next year.
                                            It's only when I start talking about it that I start to worry I've invested too much of my life in this.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Jongudmund wrote: I third that request.

MsD, can we take your comment about a Star Wars thread being "for the boys" as part of your angry response as well? Star Wars is for everyone :-)
                                              Yes, sorry. I was a bit cross.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Yes, sorry. I was a bit cross.
                                                  Rightly so.
                                                  Late to the thread, but here's no excuse for that, stumpy.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

And one more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plwVRYEQG_I

Comment

Working...
                                                    X