USA Presidential election 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But then Comey also just basically perjured himself in front of Congress about the Clinton investigation, was clearly utterly corrupt in the Clinton investigation - or at best had no idea what he was doing. And he used his position to undermine Clinton during the election. And he was also patently unequal in the fact that he disclosed (false) elements of the Clinton investigation while disclosing nothing of the Trump one. On these grounds Comey had to go.
    I think this is a bit harsh on the man, though I understand very well where SB is coming from.

Fevered speculation aside, the one thing I am virtually certain of is that Comey believed that it was a foregone conclusion that Clinton would win, but that the would still have a GOP Congress to deal with (including foaming at the mouth idiots like Chaffets "investigating" AND controlling the Bureau's funding. No other explanation of why he did what he did with the "emailz" but stayed schtum about the investigation into Russian connections to the Trump campaign makes any sense.

Comment

I think that's probably right. He just assumed HRC would win and didn't want to be seen as "tipping" the table by not mentioning the investigation.

Which, of course, is bad enough and shows he was playing political games/succumbing to political pressure rather than being genuinely impartial.

And - again - he needs to be sacked.

I don't see anything about the information releases on the Clinton investigation that doesn't warrant Comey losing his job

Comment

Censured or reprimanded, sure.

But I don't see how you can sack him when his replacement will be named by the subject of the Bureau's most sensitive investigation.

We learned this in Watergate, though it is fair to note that principled Republicans had not yet gone extinct at that time.

Comment

Josh Marshall thinks the sky is falling.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:

Do better
            That's what I was looking for orginally!

Though still think he voted for Trump, so karma and all that.

Comment

The Senate Intelligence hearing today (featuring new acting FBI Director McCabe) is enough to convince me that Russia's effort to undermine faith in democratic elections will be ultimately successful.

Everyone present agrees that "we need to do more" and that "everyone needs to be aware that this is a problem about which we are doing more." How does the specter of Russian interference retreat under those conditions? How will we know when we've done enough? What will stop anyone from casting doubt by invoking Russian interference or a failure to respond to it? It seems more likely that the suspicion of interference will lead over time to more and not less paranoia about the system.

Comment

I remember arguing for the somehow conspiranoid theory that Trump was Putin's Trojan horse - what else would explain his sudden interest in politics and submissiveness towards him? - but I don't know how the recent tensions between Russia and the US fit that narrative. Like actual conspiranoids I'm getting tangled in my own outlandish theories.

Comment

Yeah, he fucked up badly, but that's in the past and can't be unfucked.

The problem is that there's a 100% chance that Trump will appoint a lackey to replace Comey.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Comey hasn't lived in Westport since 2015

[url=https://www.buzzfeed.com/ishmaeldaro/fbi-director-james-comey-lawn-sign-trump-debunk?utm_term=.scmKOmRGD#.bfp52aqLW]And the sign was gone within 24 hours/url]

Do better
                    That anybody in Westport voted for Trump is disturbing. Economic anxiety my ass.

Comment

Where do I send my resume for Comey's replacement? FBI directors seem to make a good killing.

Comment

Do you look good in a frock?

Comment

Working...
                        X