Serial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serial

I switched to Overcast last year and I haven't looked back.

Comment

Serial

Overcast is what my not-scientific 'poking around online' says. Thanks.

Comment

Serial

Wait...free version or pay the $12.99?

Comment

Serial

Pocketcasts is what I use, but mainly because it's cross-platform. If you're just on one platform, then Overcast would probably be better if you're not really into Pocketcast's UI for some reason. Or if you're on iOS, the power-user app is Downcast.

Edit: If it matters to you, it looks like these days Overcast is an annual fee if you don't want ads, whereas Pocketcasts is a one-off payment.

Comment

Serial

Thanks. And...

Ginger Yellow wrote: Or if you're on iOS, the power-user app is Downcast.
            ....what does that mean?

Comment

Serial

If you only use iOS, GY believes the preferred weapon of choice is downcast.

Comment

Serial

Just that it has more features and options, but may not be as intuitive to use.

Comment

Serial

I'm one of those guys who almost never uses all the features and options. I'd prefer intuitive. Just straight downloading and listening, with a skip-ahead of the Blue Apron / Squarespace button.

Comment

Serial

FYI, I use Overcast and have not paid. The ads aren't really that noticeable. I'm not really staring at my screen when I'm listening to a podcast.

Comment

Serial

Good enough. I'll go that route. Thanks again.

Comment

No additional jail time for Bergdahl. Dishonourable discharge.

Fox and 45 are going to freak out.

Comment

YES! The poor bastard should never have been recruited to begin with.

Comment

Finally listened to series 2, long enough after series 1 that I wasn't going to compare the two, and thought it was much better than I expected. Sure, it's not quite the great whodunnit of the Hae Min Lee - Adnan Syed case. But the second hand nature of the tapes with Bergdahl doesn't affect it too much – there was a court martial in process after all – and in many ways it's a case that raises wider questions than a simple murder and the criminal justice system, ie – what do we expect of war, what is normal in war, who are these people who do it.

S-Town was amazing, I think about it all the time. The two main criticisms I've heard of it [SPOILERS] are using a tragic event in the story as a plot point, and 'straightwashing' the life of a man who had relationships with other men. I'm not going to discuss the second right now, but on the first point, well, McLemore was actively reaching out and trying to be in the podcast in some way before his death, and if you can't use fictional devices in podcasts, what, they've all got to be straight journalism?

On which note, a quite extraordinary story.

The Secret Musical Life Of John B McLemore

Comment

Now he is really gettin a new trial.

He’s won the state’s appeal of the lower court ruling vacating the original conviction

Comment

https://twitter.com/serial/status/1037280907391066112?s=19

https://twitter.com/serial/status/10...391066112?s=19

Comment

https://twitter.com/justin_fenton/status/1570878127605424128?s=21&t=Z4SYreCevjk2dg61b6ktdA

Comment

Whoa!

Comment

The Guardian report on that stated (when I first read it; it's probably been corrected since) that Syed is now 42, and was originally put on trial in 2000 at the age of 17.

Comment

So if I read this right, both prosecution and defence want him out of jail, for now. So a complete reset.

It mentions new evidence and new murder suspects, which I don't think I remember at all in the original podcast, so maybe that is new, new evidence.

Comment

That's my understanding, too.

Comment

I'm going to repeat myself but I think it's worthwhile, and say that for those that loved the first Serial podcast, all of the In The Dark podcasts are an absolute must.

Comment

This non-paywalled AP piece provides some detail on the "new" evidence

https://apnews.com/article/adnan-sye...7b5486ea762010

Baltimore’s state’s attorney filed a motion in circuit court, saying a lengthy investigation conducted with the defense had uncovered new evidence that could undermine the conviction of Syed, Lee’s ex-boyfriend.

“The motion filed today supports a new trial for Syed based on a nearly year-long investigation that revealed undisclosed and newly-developed information regarding two alternative suspects, as well as unreliable cell phone tower data,” State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby’s office said in a news release.

. . .

Prosecutors said a reinvestigation of the case revealed evidence regarding the possible involvement of two alternative suspects other than Syed. The two suspects may be involved individually or may be involved together, the state’s attorney’s office said.

One of the suspects had threatened Lee, saying “he would make her (Ms. Lee) disappear. He would kill her,” according to the filing.

“Given the stunning lack of reliable evidence implicating Mr. Syed, coupled with increasing evidence pointing to other suspects, this unjust conviction cannot stand,” said Assistant Public Defender Erica Suter, Mr. Syed’s attorney and, Director of the Innocence Project Clinic. “Mr. Syed is grateful that this information has finally seen the light of day and looks forward to his day in court.”

The suspects were known persons at the time of the original investigation and were not properly ruled out nor disclosed to the defense, prosecutors said.

The investigation also found a separate document from the original trial file, in which a different person relayed information that can be viewed as a motive for that same suspect to harm the victim, prosecutors said. The information about the threat and motives to harm could have provided a basis for the defense and was not disclosed to the trial nor the post-conviction defense counsel, the state’s attorney’s office said.

Prosecutors also said new information revealed that one of the suspects was convicted of attacking a woman in her vehicle, and that one of the suspects was convicted of engaging in serial rape and sexual assault.

Comment

Wow.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1571958914253557761?s=21&t=J4_bZXdMKxxX0uZhihecyg

The state has 30 days to decide if it wants a new trial

Comment

I hope the state decides they're satisfied with the 20+ years he's already done and that Jay Wilds goes down hard for putting him there.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X