Serial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serial

It's astounding. If Serial was the most satisfying hour in podcasting, these updates are surely the most frustrating 15 minutes. Holy fuck. It's basically two Valley Girls going "So....um....yeah..." and interrupting each other with recaps and digressions THAT ALL OF US ALREADY KNOW.

So.....um......yeah.....right?

Comment

Serial

And they are both from the Northeast . . .

Comment

Serial

At one point in Update 2 - and I'm not really paraphrasing here - the exchange went:

"So...do you have the detective's rough notes about that interview?"

"Um...yeah...do you want me to read them?"

"Sure."

"So...I have the detective's rough notes here and I'm just going to read them. He didn't record the interview. So we just have his rough notes of the interview, and I'm going to read them to you."

I swear I almost drove into a lamp post.

Comment

Serial

My wife listens to the Serial spinoff podcasts (Undiscosed, the Serial Dynasty) and said that the coverage that they provided on the hearings have been far better than what Serial has done.

Koenig was an actual reporter previously. These updates just seem really unprofessional and slapdash.

I also found it interesting that they haven't mentioned the statement's from Hae's family, which have been very strongly worded. And they likely wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Serial. Koenig et al don't seem willing to talk to the public about their feelings about becoming part of the story.

Comment

Serial

There's not much they could possibly say in response to the family statement, though. No family wants all those old wounds reopened.

But as journalists, Koenig et al. have a duty to look into cases where it looks like an injustice has been done. The feelings of the victims family can't/oughtn't sway that resolve. They have a vested emotional interest in the idea that the guilty man is behind bars. But what if they were wrong in that belief all along?

Comment

Serial

This is a series of longform articles (by one of the hosts of the excellent Longform Podcast), but fans of the first series of Serial may well find The Atavist's series on The Mastermind to be addictive.

He was a brilliant programmer and a vicious cartel boss, who became a prized U.S. government asset. The Atavist Magazine presents a story of an elusive criminal kingpin, told in weekly installments.

Comment

Serial

Adnan is getting a new trial.

Comment

Serial

thanks for the update.

Comment

Serial

That's good news. Guilty or not, his counsel was inadequate.

Comment

Serial

So, anyone else binge listen to S-Town?

Comment

Serial

I've listened to the first episode, haven't had time to get into others yet. It seems promising. The guy being interviewed sounds like Ignatius J. Reilly come to life.

Comment

Serial

Only through episode 2 - it has got my attention and I will listen to it all

Trying best I can to not come across any spoilers.

Comment

Serial

Does anyone know a way to actually download this as files? I like to listen to this sort of thing while walking, on my standalone MP3-player, but so far all I found are streaming links. I need download links.

Comment

Serial

Do you not have a podcast client? It's available for download just like any other podcast via a feed.

Comment

Serial

Failing that, here's the feed, with links to the mp3s.

Comment

Serial

Ginger Yellow wrote: Failing that, here's the feed, with links to the mp3s.
                                  Excellent! That's exactly what I need. Thank you GY!

Comment

Serial

Ginger Yellow wrote: Do you not have a podcast client? It's available for download just like any other podcast via a feed.
                                    I do not. My modus operandi is to download files from somewhere, put them on an SD card, and insert that SD card into my mp3-player (which is this guy, to which I'm quite attached). My knowledge of podcast clients is minimal, but last time I checked, they were incompatible with my hardware. I'll be glad to be corrected if I'm wrong about that, though.

Comment

Serial

I would suggest getting a podcast client for your phone. It makes the whole process vastly easier. But, if you want to stick to your luddite ways, use the link I gave above.

Comment

Serial

Ginger Yellow wrote: I would suggest getting a podcast client for your phone. It makes the whole process vastly easier. But, if you want to stick to your luddite ways, use the link I gave above.
                                        Yeah, I've used the link. My phone can't contain my whole music collection (~60GB), and the MP3 player does (with enough SD cards).

Comment

Serial

I started listening to it it while doing the ironing on Saturday morning and listened to the final episode about 5am on Sunday. Reason being, though, that I've had insomnia recently. Parts 5 and 6 in particular rather got mixed up with some dreams, which was not inappropriate given the atmosphere of the tale told.
                                          I'm not a big fan of the knowing This American Life/ Serial house style but the stories they tell can be compelling.
                                          Is it too cynical to say better that the central defining act of this one be exploited for entertainment, rather than murder, as in Serial 1?

Comment

Serial

It doesn't have to hold your music collection. Just the podcasts.

Comment

Serial

Ginger Yellow wrote: It doesn't have to hold your music collection. Just the podcasts.
                                              That, however, is not the way I prefer to organize my things. Stuff to listen to (music, podcasts) goes on the MP3 player. Other stuff (photos, videos, maps, apps) goes on the phone. The links you provided were very helpful in upholding this separation. Thank you for that.

Comment

Serial

I used to be the same way, but having a decent podcast client is a huge quality of life improvement. Especially going from no client at all. When i had my podcasts on my iPod I at least had a client, it was just shitty.

Comment

Serial

Just finished it yesterday. Just...wow. I won't blow anything for anyone, but that was a gripping trip.

I'm better off for the journey, but I certainly understand the ethical qualms that many are having with it. Fascinating on so many levels.

Comment

Serial

GY, what's you preferred Podcast client? I used to use PocketCasts, but I'm (stupidly) just using the stock one on my iPhone and it's frustrating. Sometimes they won't begin playing unless you have a wifi connection to (I assume) authenticate them or something. Maddening.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X