• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serial

A red flag indicating what?

Comment

Serial

Truthfully, as good a conclusion as you could have expected.

Comment

Serial

Jay finally speaks, but not to Sarah Koenig.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/12/29/exclusive-interview-jay-wilds-star-witness-adnan-syed-serial-case-pt-1/

Comment

Serial

This lawyer has outlined five points upon which Jay might have committed perjury. And this is based on just Part 1 of the three-part interview. Part 2 is up now and 3 is being posted tomorrow.

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/evidenceprof/2014/12/ive-posted-25-entriessarah-koenigsserial-podcast-which-deals-withthe-1999-prosecution-of-17-year-old-adnan-syed-for-murderin.html

Comment

Serial

Motion for a new trial

The attorney for "Serial" podcast subject Adnan Syed says key cellphone evidence used against his client was unreliable — by the phone company's own warning — and should have been excluded from his murder trial.

In a court motion filed Monday, C. Justin Brown said incoming calls to Syed's cellphone were used by prosecutors to place him at Leakin Park when authorities believe the body of his ex-girlfriend was buried. Syed was convicted in 2000 of murder in the death of Hae Min Lee and is serving a life sentence.

Comment

Serial

The Second Season is going to examine the Bowe Bergdahl "desertion"

Bergdahl was held prisoner by the Haqqani network, a Taliban-allied guerilla insurgent group. He painted himself as an honorable deserter, claiming that he was abducted after intentionally walking off his outpost to call attention to troubling conditions. But his fellow soldiers say his intentions weren't so honorable. He has been charged with desertion and misbehavior before the enemy, which carries a life sentence.

Comment

Serial

Syed's motion to re-open granted.

Syed's Motion to Re-Open Post-Conviction proceedings was granted today. Syed will be allowed to introduce evidence related to the alibi and the cell tower issue.

Comment

Serial

Oh, i've just started this but I keep falling asleep in the episodes.

Comment

Serial

Serial is back.

Comment

Serial

Ah, excellent news. I'd checked just a couple of weeks ago and there was no sign.

Comment

Serial

Thanks for the heads-up.

Comment

Serial

I had actually been wondering last night "they said sometime in 2015...tomorrow is Thursday...maybe?"

Comment

Serial

Can't say I particularly care about the story, even after the first episode. I'm not going to unsubscribe, but it's going to be pretty much at the bottom of my queue unless the buzz becomes tremendous.

Comment

Serial

I've heard four of the five episodes released so far, and I'm a bit ambivalent about it. On the one hand, during a listening session, I find myself invested in the story more than enough to want to know more about what happened. On the other hand, I'm not as invested in the story as with season one, which mainly manifests itself between episodes: I don't feel the strong "gimme the next episode, NOW" effect that other series cause.

I'm learning a lot about Afghanistan and Pakistan, though, which can't hurt. The little inroad into the reasons underlying why the Raqqani are tolerated as a lawless force in their part of Pakistan was interesting enough.

Anyone else still listening to this? What do you think?

Comment

Serial

I was about to give up on it until the most recent episode. I was interested in that one most out of all of the ones so far.

My biggest problem with this season is that unlike with Adnan, no one from Serial is talking to Bergdahl. Sure, we are able to hear his voice, but it's in phone conversations with that documentary filmmaker that recorded their calls. So they seem to have to have structured their episodes around that footage, and haven't been able to go in other directions as much as they might have.

Plus, those calls aren't really gripping. The guy he's talking to is sometimes typing or doing the dishes while talking to Bergdahl...he sounds bored a lot of the time. It doesn't make for great radio.

I think Serial is aware of a lot of the talk that this season is boring and not as good as the first one. When the last one came out, they were tweeting about it heavily, linking to additional materials on their website. It seemed like they were trying to get people more interested in it, I don't remember them being that active on Twitter before.

Another issue I think is the setting. I don't know Baltimore and the surrounding areas, but the places they talked about in season one I could see in my mind. A high school after classes let out, a Best Buy parking lot, a forest off of a road...it was much more familiar to me than Afghanistan and Pakistan. I know that's why they've put a lot of work into showing the places on their website, but it still feels not as immediate as Adnan and Hei.

Comment

Serial

Yeah, this season has been a real clanger for me. Sayed's case was compelling because there was a decent chance he was wrongly convicted. Plus, the story was finished and ripe to be reopened. Bergdahl's case hasn't even finished playing out yet, and there's really no he said/they said at play. I'm still listening, but mainly because I don't want to lose my time-already-invested.

Comment

Serial

Koenig's naif act is really beginning to grate on me.

Comment

Serial

Agreed. The naif act worked in Sayed's case because you genuinely couldn't make heads or tails of some of the scenarios. It feels put-on this time to create tension where none actually exists. Nobody here seems at a real loss to explain what happened.

Comment

Serial

Justin Fenton of the Baltimore Sun, who has been essential reading for the Freddie Gray case, is covering the hearing for a retrial in the Syed case.

He's also live tweeting the hearing.

The bar here is very high, but they are doing a good job of meeting that burden.

Comment

Serial

They have a short extra podcast today talking about Syed's hearing yesterday (Koenig was in the courtroom).

Comment

Serial

ursus arctos wrote: Koenig's naif act is really beginning to grate on me.
                                            Haha, you may not want to listen to the Syed update. She and Dana Chivis seemed to have no idea why a prosecutor would want to poke holes in a defense witness' testimony. That, or they did a really bad job of dumbing things down for anyone listening.

Comment

Serial

I suppose this is a good moment to reiterate my fascination with people's fascination with crime shows.

Is it death? Is it mystery? Is it the abnormal psychology? Is it the notion of justice and retribution?

Comment

Serial

Haha, you may not want to listen to the Syed update.
                                                WHY didn't I take your advice, Inca?

WHY?

They simply cannot be as stupid as they appear. Koenig went to U Chicago, for chrissake.

Comment

Serial

The following ones were not as bad.

Comment

Serial

I'm halfway through the third.

They still sound like Nancy Drew wannabes at a Cosplay convention.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X