Your first CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your first CD

Most people remember their first vinyl record. Mine was either a Tom Jones my mom talked me into, an Elvis (own choice) or the Baretta soundtrack (also my own choice).

30 years from now people will ask the same but for CDs. 80 years from now people will ask the same but about first downloaded song.

I'm thinking hard. I can't remember for sure which CD was my first. I think the sad fact is that I boughht something I had on vinyl, as a CD. Possibly Bob Marley-Legend.

Your first CD

A promo CD I got from a radio station.

"But I don't have a CD player."

"You will soon. Take it."

It was a greatest hits/sampler of Bronski Beat/Communards/Jimmy Sommerville.

Comment

Your first CD

The first CD I bought was Wannabe by the Spice Girls, closely followed by the first Garbage album.

I have no idea what the first record I bought was, but it would have been quite a few years later as I didn't have a record player until I was 15 or 16. Probably something by Pavement.

Comment

Your first CD

I think mine may have been the first Electronic album & Anthrax's 'Attack of the Killer B's', they were definitely in those long sleeves CDs used to come in, I got them in Singapore as our dad was working there, but bought loads of cassette albums as they were massively cheap. Not sure why.

Comment

Your first CD

The first CD I got was a Donovan's Greatest Hits. I still listen to it, unlike most of the other CDs I've bought.

Comment

Your first CD

Good grief, I really can't remember. It was probably something from East West/Warner's as my wife worked there at the time.

I wish it had been WOM's though.

Comment

Your first CD

Mine was the CD single of New Order's Touched By The Hand Of God. This was a few years before I got a CD player but there was a rare track on the single that I was going to copy to cassette on my brother's stereo. Or so I hoped. In true Factory style the track listed on the sleeve wasn't actually on the disc and in its place was another that I already had.

Comment

Your first CD

Bored of Education wrote: I wish it had been WOM's though.
                You can borrow it, but I need it back by Thursday.

Comment

Your first CD

I remember it perfectly - I was 18, and bought my first ever CD player. Then had to go out again because I didn't have any CDs. And my debut CDs were Lou Reed's New York and Stiff Little Fingers No Sleep Till Belfast.

Before then, my first LP was Adam and the Ants, and my first single was Madness. Both of which I'm not embarrassed about. Which makes it all the more fun when I steer the conversation around to "first singles" with my brother in front of his trendy mates, because then he has to admit that his first single was Paul McCartney and the Frog Chorus

Comment

Your first CD

I'm fairly sure the first one was Duke Ellington's Three Suites. (Fairly sure in that if it wasn't that one, I have no idea what else it would have been.)

My parents' already had a CD player (and many CDs) before then, but that's the first one I remember as being 'mine'.

The Housemartins' Now That's What I Call... probably was purchased fairly soon after. (And possibly some Beatles albums...)

Comment

Your first CD

I bought two CDs shortly after I got my first player. One was Superstition by Siouxsie, but I can't recall what the second one was. It'll come to me.

Comment

Your first CD

No idea. Maybe Blue Lines? Actually, no, i got Blue Lines on cassette at first. By the time Protection was released I'd moved to CD. I think I bought quite a few "best of"s artists I had on vinyl, and a few dance compilations.

Comment

Your first CD

I think it was Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me by The Smiths, late1987, and bought in the confident expectation that I would be able to play the bonus tracks on it on my soon-to-be-purchased CD player. That came along in 1994, by which time I'd long flogged the Smiths CD. Not only did I not have a CD player for the longest time, I wasn't friends with anyone who had one. Not as a deliberate policy but they just didn't seem firstly indie or then part of the dance scene.
                          The first CD that I bought and actually played was the Like A Motorway single by Saint Etienne.

Comment

Your first CD

Further Down The Spiral by Nine Inch Nails, a year or so before I got a CD player. Don't think it was released on vinyl.

Comment

Your first CD

Another Saint Etienne for first CD - So Tough (with bonus CD). Liked the clever design how they put 2 CDs in 1 case.

Comment

Your first CD

I always thought I was a bit strange for having my first CD some time in advance of getting a CD player, but responses above seem to indicate that this was actually a pretty common scenario, apparently. Mine was Enigma's second album The Cross Of Changes (I already had the Return To Innocence single on cassette), which my auntie got me for Christmas 1994 when I was 15 — I distinctly remember her asking if I wanted it on cassette or CD, and I said the former but she pointed out it would last longer on CD so I acquiesced to that... and blimey, I'll have owned it for 20 years next month. I got a stereo with CD player for my next birthday, five months later, and promptly acquired the first CDs I bought for myself, which were the Lightning Seeds' Jollification and the Crash Test Dummies' God Shuffled His Feet. Not only do I still own all the above discs, but the same stereo is still going strong.

Comment

Your first CD

The Stone Roses' debut.

Still plays perfectly well, 25 years later, despite harbingers of doom who told everyone all CDs would spontaneously disintegrate or something.

Comment

Your first CD

Sure Shot by the Beastie Boys was my first CD, and to destroy any kudos that that might earn me here, I bought a Beautiful South one at the same time.

Actually I need to get something off my chest; we did first single on here a few years back, and I mentioned mine was Activ8 by Altern8, which received a bit of praise from someone, but that was actually only joint-first. I shied away from saying that at the same time I bought the dreadful Stars by Simply Red. EDIT: Found link to thread

Comment

Your first CD

I always like this old chestnut of a thread, because the first record I actually bought was Get Down Shep by The Barron Knights.

Comment

Your first CD

Mine was 'Front By Front' by Front 242.

To this day, it's the only CD I've ever owned that utilised the then-nascent technology of 'index points' (or whatever they were called) whereby you could skip to certain (significant) points in a track - the start of a verse, chorus or instrumental break, usually. I was lucky enough to have - and still have - a (hifi) CD player that had the capability to take advantage of that feature - a Technics SL-PG500A.

Comment

Your first CD

evilC wrote: Mine was 'Front By Front' by Front 242.
                                          To this day, it's the only CD I've ever owned that utilised the then-nascent technology of 'index points' (or whatever they were called) whereby you could skip to certain (significant) points in a track - the start of a verse, chorus or instrumental break, usually. I was lucky enough to have - and still have - a (hifi) CD player that had the capability to take advantage of that feature - a Technics SL-PG500A.
                                          That's amazing Clive, I've never come across that concept before. How weird that it was your first but only CD that did that, not to mention that you had playback technology capable of handling it.

That is a superb collection of knobs and dials on that hi-fi, by the way.

Comment

Your first CD

Stumpy Pepys wrote: The Stone Roses' debut.

Still plays perfectly well, 25 years later, despite harbingers of doom who told everyone all CDs would spontaneously disintegrate or something.
                                            Yeah, whatever happaned with that doom? Wasn't it something along the lines of moisture gettng between the tracks making the whole CD to rot?

Comment

Your first CD

I think a few batches of CDs in the 80s went bad. Apart from those, I expect they have a decent lifespan.

Comment

Your first CD

First time I even heard about CDs was when my dad came home with the cover to Van Halen's 1984 (yes, not making it up as I go along). He had met some fellow immigrants down at the mall. Turned drunk they were, stealing shit from stores to support their addiction. Always too kind as he was, he bought them CDs when they desperatly needed a fix.
                                                He came home, gave them to me, no CD inside only the cover, I looked at them for a good two minutes and couldn' figure out which part was supposed to make music.
                                                I was a kid, so don't start.

Comment

Your first CD

In 1984/1985 I went on a trip to Japan and the first Sony CD Discman (the D5) had just come out so I bought that and some CDs to play on it, so my first CD was actually 3 that I bought all at the same time.

UltraVox - Lament
                                                  Simple Minds - Sparkle in the Rain
                                                  Duran Duran - Seven & the Ragged Tiger

So yeah, I was real cutting edge, man.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X