Interstellar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interstellar

having watched True Detective I was expecting to strain to hear McC, but I felt there was as much, if not more, of a problem late on when key exchanges were taking place while wearing helmets and the sentimental music was gushing all over it

Comment

Interstellar

*mild spoilers maybe*

The big problem I had was hearing what Michael Caine's character was saying.

Anyway, it was enjoyable. I wasn't blown away as others have been by some of the visuals, though the giant waves was terrific.
      Feel that Anne Hathaway has been given a rough ride judging by some comments i've read. Blame the writers for not developing the character. It's a shame that a good actor like Casey Affleck is so underused. Obviously he's not playing a major character, but I like him, so i'd like more of him if possible.

That last 15 minutes though. Eurgh.

Comment

Interstellar

X-rays and hawking radiation do a decent enough job.)
        Technically X-rays don't "escape" a black hole, in that they originate beyond the event horizon. So does Hawking radiation, kind of, but it does result in a loss of mass, so I'll give you that.

Comment

Interstellar

Hearing that the sound mixing in Interstellar is all over the place doesn't surprise me in the slightest, bearing in mind there are scenes in The Dark Knight Rises where you haven't got a clue what's being said. The poor mix in that film wasn't an artistic choice, either - it was just technically shoddy.

When Nolan began making features, I couldn't wait to see what he'd do next after Following and the brilliantly-woven Memento. He's been disappointingly inconsistent since (save for Dark Knight and Insomnia, which I enjoyed), and his films often have glaring weaknesses that are difficult to overlook as you watch. That's not to mention the weaknesses that appear in almost all of his films as standard, like shonky dialogue, overbearing scores and characters that can't be emotionally identified with.

Batman Begins was glacially-paced and dedicated far too much time (perhaps in the knowledge there were sequels to come) to the build-up of Batman becoming Batman. The Prestige was great for about an hour until the moment it was revealed (SPOILER ALERT) that the trick was done by creating human clones; in a film that had played it straight and been rooted in reality for most of the run-time, to explain the big mystery via supernatural means was tonally jarring and ruined the entire film. Inception had glimmers of being entertaining, but the script was always at pains to club you over the head with how clever it was.

The Dark Knight Rises was a mess, as already touched upon above. To say that it had half-completed editing, bizarre overdubbing and a slapdash story would only begin to explain what a disaster I thought it was. My hunch is that time/finance constraints (sometimes self-imposed) forced his hand on certain occasions, but it's still put me off wanting to watch Interstellar.

Comment

Interstellar

Thierry Ennui wrote: Hearing that the sound mixing in Interstellar is all over the place doesn't surprise me in the slightest, bearing in mind there are scenes in The Dark Knight Rises where you haven't got a clue what's being said.
            Pet hate of mine. Music is part of the sound design, to set a scene. Not take it over and to hell with nuance.

Actors who mumble. Don't get me started. For a million bucks a film I want you to be able to at least open your mouth and speak properly.

Comment

Interstellar

SPOILERS
              "Hi, I just broke into your secret HQ"
              - "Well sure, would you like to pilot our top secret space mission?"

WTF?

End that film 20 minutes to half hour earlier, with Plan A being confirmed as a scam, and with McH drifting into the black hole and dying (or even better, being killed by Matt Damon) and you have a decent film.

The Hollywood ending ruins the whole thing.

Comment

Interstellar

I caught up with this yesterday, having previously really enjoyed every one of Nolan's non-Batman films.
                As for this one, if I hadn't known who the director was, I'd have said M. Night Shyamalan channeling later period Spielberg. That's not meant as a compliment

Comment

Interstellar

Antonio Pulisao wrote: SPOILERS
                  "Hi, I just broke into your secret HQ"
                  - "Well sure, would you like to pilot our top secret space mission?"

WTF?

End that film 20 minutes to half hour earlier, with Plan A being confirmed as a scam, and with McH drifting into the black hole and dying (or even better, being killed by Matt Damon) and you have a decent film.

The Hollywood ending ruins the whole thing.
                  I felt exactly the same about the last Batman film, but somehow Interstellar worked for me.

Comment

Interstellar

Watched it again last night.
                    I quite enjoyed it again. The 2.35:1 to 16:9 transitions worked nicely nad there are some cracking shots, like when he drives away in his truck and it's filmed along the side, like in a rocket launch.

***spoiler***

P hadn't seen it before and she shares Antonio Pulisao's thoughts on the ending. Personally I quite like the ending. It's a bit too 2001 try hard for it's own good, but nevertheless, it's not as painful as Anne Hathaway trying to act in the scene where she talks about love.

Comment

Interstellar

Google has released a short film as some sort of collaborative tie-in with Interstellar called EMIC. It's a ten minute short about what it's like to live on earth. They were requesting submissions for it, so my wife sent in a photograph of her and I kissing on the platform at Southwick railway station last August. I received a surprise email asking me to sign an online release form a couple of months ago, but didn't think too much about it at the time because they said at the time that it didn't mean that our picture would be included in it.

So... on Friday afternoon I got an email from them telling me that it had been used and, lo and behold, there we are, for approximately a tenth of a second, representing "Love" for the human race for when the sun expands to such a size that humankind has to relocate to a more habitable planet. I was as surprised as I have been so much over the last year or so at how grey my hair has turned of late.

It's free to download through the Google Play Store. I am available for autographs.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2015/see-the-interstellar-inspired-short-film-emic-about-people-of-earth/

Comment

Interstellar

I'd love to watch it, but I can't download it. Either no rights to watch it in this country, or Google Play website doesn't work.

Comment

So about 4 years later, I finally watched this. Mrs Thistle's verdict: "It's very slow and mumbly." She started colouring halfway through.

I enjoyed it. I thought it was too long. I worked out who the ghost would be a long time before the explanation arrived on scene.

The tension of 'will the mission succeed' was kind of ruined by having the talking heads at the beginning explaining how bad things used to be. Although it was a nice touch to have that narration and the visual of turning over the plates so they were dust free.

Science-wise I felt it was screwing with us. I liked how time and relativity became factors in space exploration, which I hadn't seen done before. But overall something felt off.

I liked TARS the robot. Some much needed humour from that. The other actors were alright, nothing special. The special effects were well done. A soundless space explosion was nice to see and there were some very clever shots and jump cuts. I could have done with less music though. Stop telling me how I should be feeling in any given scene, damn it.

And a final point: would knocking books off a child's shelves really be the best way "they" could communicate with us. A culture that can build a device inside a black hole couldn't leave a message floating near the wormhole to explain things?
                          Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 13-08-2018, 06:33.

Comment

Into Stella and hobbes liked it.

Mind you I'd have drunk ANYTHING after sitting through it

Comment

Working...
                            X