No diversity anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No diversity anymore

Sorry if this point has been made before but I've been half dipping in and out since the thread started and might have missed it.

I was watching an excellent documentary about the charts on BBC4 a month or two ago, it highlighted how for the most part the charts were some kind of cross-generational thing, even up until relatively recently. How TOTP or Jukebox Jury were watched not just by kids or teens, but their Mums & Dads and even Grandparents and they too had an impact on the Top 40,

For me, since downloading and the internet became the dominant form of acquiring music, that's when it all seemed to change. Of course, this is combined with getting older myself and a generational gap forming personally but I'm not sure (other than on shows like X-Factor) that oldies are exposed to young people's music to any degree the level it used to be.

I don't follow the charts at all, I'm sure there are a few acts I like that do chart. I'm just not exposed to them or anything else via the charts.

Comment

Working...
    X