Renée Zellweger's face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renée Zellweger's face

When I write my book about things I couldn't give a fuck about, this will be chapter one.

Renée Zellweger's face

I can understand that. But for those of us who thought she was just one of the cutest things going, this is terrible. She's ruined her face.

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

I had a similar reaction when I first saw …

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

Stumpy Pepys wrote: I had a similar reaction when I first saw …

I knew Paul Hollywood was struggling to break the US market, but that look is a bit extreme.

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

The thing about RZ is that she's utterly unrecognizable any more. I could have looked at those pictures for an hour and still not have been able to tell you it was her.

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

'Living a happy, healthy lifestyle' may improve one's appearance somewhat, but it doesn't make one look like a completely different person.

'Cosmetic surgery' and 'the denial of having had cosmetic surgery' remain very happy bedfellows, it seems.

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

It's an astounding level of transformation. You have to think that she must be saddled with some awful levels of insecurity and self loathing to want to alter your appearance to such an extent.

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: When I write my book about things I couldn't give a fuck about
                I really think you need to show a greater level of commitment if you want to make this work.

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

For me, this is much more of a commentary on how fucked up "Hollywood" (and the celebrity-obsessed culture it has spawned) is when it comes to female actors than it is on anything regarding Ms. Zellweger (who, to the extent it means anything, remains very attractive).

I liked this piece from Slate

lastic surgery is upsetting to watch. The tautness of Botox and the bloat of injectables provide visual proof that actresses are more valuable for their youth than their humanity. Stars rework their faces until they are neither pretty nor unconventional, at which point they are discarded. The alternative—where former female stars age direct to DVD, then quietly retreat from IMDB—is easier for us to stomach, as there’s nothing to see. But when fallen It Girls like Zellweger re-emerge in middle age with radically retooled faces, we can't look away.

It only took a few years for Zellweger’s “unconventionally pretty face” to be recast in the public imagination as just plain ugly. And let’s be clear: Zellweger would not have been praised for “aging gracefully” had she showed up Monday night un-nipped. In Hollywood, “aging gracefully” is a euphemism for “good plastic surgery,” the kind that successfully skirts an unarticulated line between sagging and frozen.
                  The Mail needs to die in a fire, too.

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

Jah Womble wrote: 'Cosmetic surgery' and 'the denial of having had cosmetic surgery' remain very happy bedfellows, it seems.
                    You're looking a bit younger in your FB photo, J. Anything you wish to disclose?

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

Sean of the Shed wrote: You have to think that she must be saddled with some awful levels of insecurity and self loathing to want to alter your appearance to such an extent.
                      I don't think she has. I think whatever she's had done has just changed the shape of her eyes (which were her most distinctive feature).

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

The alternative—where former female stars age direct to DVD, then quietly retreat from IMDB—is easier for us to stomach, as there’s nothing to see. But when fallen It Girls like Zellweger re-emerge in middle age with radically retooled faces, we can't look away.

It only took a few years for Zellweger’s “unconventionally pretty face” to be recast in the public imagination as just plain ugly. And let’s be clear: Zellweger would not have been praised for “aging gracefully” had she showed up Monday night un-nipped. In Hollywood, “aging gracefully” is a euphemism for “good plastic surgery,” the kind that successfully skirts an unarticulated line between sagging and frozen. (See: Sandra Bullock.) Character actresses like Melissa Leo can grow into great careers later in life, playing hard, complicated broads, but our baby-faced ingénues are specifically prized for their youth; it's nearly impossible for them to “get better” with age. (See also: Meg Ryan.) Zellweger's last critical hit came out in 2005. Hollywood discarded her a long time ago. So now, she’s returned looking nothing like the old Renée Zellweger—you know, the actress nobody wanted to look at anymore. Can you blame her?
                        I'm struggling to find the 'liked' in ursus' linked piece. I counted myself saying 'bullshit' to almost every sentiment in the above cliche festival. You don't get to be young forever. You don't get to be the It Girl (whatever the fuck that means) forever. But it doesn't mean you can't be naturally beautiful forever.

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

WOM wrote: I can understand that. But for those of us who thought she was just one of the cutest things going, this is terrible. She's ruined her face.
                          Don't worry; I've got a blowfish I can sell to you.

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

I think the point of the article is that you can't according to Hollywood casting directors.

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

WOM, you obviously have a different take on this than I do.

It happens.

And what GY says, which also applies to the Mail and its ilk.

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

Based on this picture, she could maybe get parts as Jennifer Lawrence's mum.

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

I don't disagree that the career opportunities of formerly young, beautiful actresses drop off noticeably after 40 (35? 30?). But I struggle to think of an example of one that was 'saved' after a lot of nipping and tucking. I'm not sure when the author thinks RZ got 'ugly', but I've never seen it. But then, I'm aging along with her, so why would I?

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

WOM, you will note that the "ugly" comment was a link to a series of comments calling her just that. It has nothing to do with the author's opinion.

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

Yes, you're right. My bad. But she's doing the fucking lazy 'assumed we' thing. What does 'recast in the public imagination' mean when you justify it with a link to Urban Dictionary? Like...seriously. That's your support?

[The author I mean, not you.]

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Based on this picture, she could maybe get parts as Jennifer Lawrence's mum.

That's a shitload more work than just her eyes, Stumpy.

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

I don't think she looks bad. But she does now look like a totally different person. The actual proportions of her face have changed. It's not just her eyes.

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

You're looking a bit younger in your FB photo, J. Anything you wish to disclose?
                                            I've always been beautiful. Deal with it.

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

Sean of the Shed wrote: That's a shitload more work than just her eyes, Stumpy.
                                              So what do you believe she's had done then?

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                                Originally posted by Sean of the Shed
                                                That's a shitload more work than just her eyes, Stumpy.
                                                So what do you believe she's had done then?
                                                Her eyes, mouth and cheeks are all different. And her skin looks like it's tightened as well.

Comment

Renée Zellweger's face

I honestly thought that Juliette Lewis had gone blonde.

I've never seen surgery as radical as that in somebody so young. she has a completely different face, which itself isn't unattractive, but she was perfectly attractive anyway...and I know somebody posted a photo of Kenny Rogers, but the guy's in his seventies, how old is Renee Zellweger? 40-odd?

Crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X