Catch a racist by - his lyrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I certainly agree that you are the best judge of trolling on here, Luke.

Comment

If a group of 1970s BBC presenters moved in next door to you, you would be concerned.

Comment

I think that singing an anti-immigration calypso in a cod-Jamaican accent is racist actually, yeah. And I find the fact that so many people seem more than happy to jump in and try to claim that it's not, somehow, pretty troubling.

We seem to be living in an age during which irrationality is dominating people's political viewpoints, and the problem with irrationality is that it can't be argued with rationally. It's extremely dangerous.

Comment

That ^

Comment

He may be a stupid old fart today, but let's remember his back catalogue from the 70's, when he was an edgy DJ, writing hymns to ... domestic violence?

High Rise by the Trainspotters (M. Read)

Comment

My Name Is Ian wrote: I think that singing an anti-immigration calypso in a cod-Jamaican accent is racist actually, yeah. And I find the fact that so many people seem more than happy to jump in and try to claim that it's not, somehow, pretty troubling.

We seem to be living in an age during which irrationality is dominating people's political viewpoints, and the problem with irrationality is that it can't be argued with rationally. It's extremely dangerous.
              Yes, I had this on Twitter today. In the end you give up even though you know that by giving up they think they have 'won'.

Comment

Interesting that he only name checks English towns in the lyrics.

Is this an admission that they're fucked in Scotland and Wales? Might just be that he's never heard of us. What an absolute wankshot.

Comment

Beyond utterly pathetic, though some might say he's being clever by exploiting the fact that Ukippers are the thick feckers that still believe Winterval, Muslims black out swimming pools and can't deport terrorists cause they have a cat are true stories. Though he's really just as thick as them.

PS, the reason there'll be no tax on the minimum wage is because they'll scrap the minimum wage!

Comment

My Name Is Ian wrote: I think that singing an anti-immigration calypso in a cod-Jamaican accent is racist actually, yeah. And I find the fact that so many people seem more than happy to jump in and try to claim that it's not, somehow, pretty troubling.

I must be thick then.

Because I didn't even know it was necessary to explain this…

Comment

whoops, missed the point.

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: Say what you like the Nazi Party, but at least they had Wagner.
                        But what did the Italian National Fascist Party have as its theme tune?

Comment

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/music/music-and-mussolini-6748288.html

Comment

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/oct/22/ukip-calypso-song-mike-read-radio-1

(With apologies to those who follow the Wingco on Facebook, where I just said exactly this)

Ah now, you see, in the interests of free speech, I absolutely don't think that it should be withdrawn from sale. In fact, I think that someone should follow him and Farage around holding up a speaker playing it everywhere they go until well after the general election.

Of course, if he's apologising for it, I wonder where that leaves all the people - including Farage himself, who said "let's get this to number one" - who swarmed over the internet banging on about how anybody who said it was racist was displaying symptoms of "political correctness" having "gone mad" before rushing off to buy it on Amazon.

Congratulations on your racist purchase, guys.

Comment

One of the more minor of the very many terrible things about this is the besmirching of the memory of Lance Percival.

I say "memory", Percival's not actually dead but you know what I mean.

Comment

kevchenko wrote: http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/music/music-and-mussolini-6748288.html
                                Thanks!

Comment

Withdrawn from sale!

Comment

Wait for the backlash.

Comment

An anonymous Ukip spokesman, earlier:

“We do think it is a shame that he has been treated so harshly by many in the ‘right-on’ media, but we respect his decision.

“We thought it was just a bit of fun, as did thousands of people, evidenced by how well it has been selling.

“Were it not for the synthetic outrage, the song would have generated a lot of money for charity, as profits were to be split with the Red Cross for their Ebola Outreach programme.

“It’s a pity those so concerned with political correctness have trodden all over this.”

This in itself could be a parody. Every eye-rolling cliche you could imagine, perfectly presented for our delectation.

I mean, I'm not part of the 'right-on media' (whatever that means) and I thought it was an effing atrocity, so I don't know where that leaves this guy's opinions.

As for calypso, Aldwyn 'Lord Kitchener' Roberts was undoubtedly the master there.

Comment

“Were it not for the synthetic outrage, the song would have generated a lot of money for charity, as profits were to be split with the Red Cross for their Ebola Outreach programme.

“It’s a pity those so concerned with political correctness have trodden all over this.”
                                        ARE YOU HAPPY NOW, YOU LEFTY BASTARDS?! ARE YOU?!

Craven.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:

As for calypso, Aldwyn 'Lord Kitchener' Roberts was undoubtedly the master there.
                                          Wasn't he just, his finest work in my opinion.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:

“It’s a pity those so concerned with political correctness have trodden all over this.”[/i]
                                            "Anythings OK as long as it's done for charity.If Hitler had invaded Poland for Spina Bifida nobody would have said a thing"

Comment

Squarewheelbike wrote: Withdrawn from sale!
                                              But never ever ever withdrawn from the internet. And thankfully so.

Comment

Did Mike Read get fed up of his fellow 70s and 80s R1 colleagues hogging the media limelight recently?

What a fucking tool

Comment

I quite liked Mathew Norman's assessment of Read's character.

Comment

There is nothing remotely racist about the choice of calypso for this cheery whine of imagined victimhood
                                                    Missed the point by miles there, there's quite a lot to sink one's teeth into when said calypso is done in vocal blackface. And this..

Coming a few minutes before a black South African judge passed sentence on an Afrikaner who would once have been her master, the discussion on yesterday’s Today programme sounded especially ridiculous.
                                                    .. is also complete bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X