Jeff Lynne's ELO at Hyde Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a strangely random set of dissimilar acts and an especially peculiar one to lump ELO in with given that they had great success in the US and Canada - multiple top ten & platinum albums with a couple of them going multi-platinum.

Comment

Yeah, it was a random 'off the top of my head' list. No real thought put into it. And while you're right about their success here, I'd say their footprint disappeared like they'd been walking on a beach at low tide. I remember people asking 'who he?' when Lynne was in the Wilburys.

Comment

They were all old guys, dude.

Comment

WOM wrote: Yeah, it was a random 'off the top of my head' list. No real thought put into it. And while you're right about their success here, I'd say their footprint disappeared like they'd been walking on a beach at low tide. I remember people asking 'who he?' when Lynne was in the Wilburys.
          Ah, well Lynne's relative personal anonymity is certainly the case but that's distinct from the band. I would say that the amount of use of ELO's music used in US film & TV shows there is a pretty distinct footprint left by the band.

Comment

I'm not sure where you're hearing all sorts of ELO in TV and movies, but it's not as evident from here. No kidding, but I don't think you'd find many people under 30 who've even heard of them.

Sure, you could do aided recall and play 'Don't Bring Me Down' and people would go "Oh yeah, I"ve heard that." But that's probably it.

Comment

We weren't talking about people under 30 though, specifically we were talking about you (from a different age group , I presume?) and the belief that they "missed the transatlantic flight" which isn't borne out.

I'm sure there are scores of acts who were very successful in North America during the seventies/eighties that wouldn't be known by under 30s now but that's a different thing.

Here's a list of their music's film and TV apparances which is quite extensive but the significant ones include the afore-mentioned 'Boogie Nights' as well as 'Donnie Brasco', 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' and 'American Hustle'.

Comment

Yes, you're right in that I unwittingly (I assure you) moved the goal posts. I'll concede that they did indeed leave a big footprint at the time. And that people of a certain age know their stuff. However, I don't think they have much of an enduring legacy.

I checked the IMDB soundtracks listing too, and most of their appearance seem to be what you'd expect; period piece music. Not really 'transcending the years' type usage.

Which is not to take away from them, of course. But yeah, not the same as the others 'missing flight'.

Comment

I look like an ELO nutter now, don't I?

Comment

Yup.

Comment

couple of years ago i bought the ELO boxset.
                      best £30 i ever spent.
                      the remastering and extra tracks are seriously worth it.
                      so, yes, i wept tears of joy while the concert was on tv (emotional connections hit hard during certain songs despite the fact bh hated the band !), and have done everytime i have rewatched it.

interesting to note that the regular 'you're bloody ace you lot' declarations from jef were cut from the non-live showings on the red button channel.

it was very clear how taken aback he was with the reception.

bottom line : i side with the excellent write up by spearmint rhino on tQ

Comment

The track 'All Over the World' popped up on the radio today, and it's yet another example of Jeff Lynne singing the title into a voice box.

He did that a lot, didn't he? Sweet Talkin' Woman, Mr Blue Sky and Confusion spring to mind. And half of the 'Time' album.

Comment

Vocoders in Pop would be another, wholly excellent, thread.

Comment

Land Waster wrote: voice box.
                            Talk Box.

Comment

Ah, Professor Hawking, how nice of you to join us.

Comment

Heh. You can't see me, but I'm flicking the Vs at my monitor.

Comment

Hope you're not in work?

Comment

I am, actually, but there's barely anyone in.

Plus that kind of behaviour would be totally in keeping with my usual work demeanour, so no-one would bat an eyelid, even if there were anyone here to do so.

Comment

hobbes wrote:
                                      It reminds me of those Sunday mornings when my Dad wasn't working.
                                      Yes.

Mr Blue Sky is one of the albums that I remember hearing a lot as a kid. Absolutely love the sound of that album in particular and ELO in general.

Hope this recording gets a re-run on BBC4. Or it might even turn up on one of the digital ARD/ZDF channels over here, German TV takes quite a bit of relatively obscure BBC music content to fill the night-time schedules.

Comment

Working...
                                      X