Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish Football On TV Pre-Sky

EDIT: Removed
    Last edited by Your Usual Table; 02-11-2021, 16:34.

A relative living over there used to bring back some videotapes of matches for me when I was a kid. Otherwise you were relying on highlights packages on British TV on Saturdays. Sports Stadium on RTE showed some bits too, though not every week.

But in Ireland it was hard to see live matches in their entirety. Though in the early days of Sky's coverage the BBC still had some rights. I remember watching long highlights of the 2-4 derby as late as 1994 (the one where Rangers were 2-0 up after three minutes, and a fan knotted his Celtic scarf into a noose and swung it threateningly in the direction of the directors' box).

Comment

As I've mentioned in threads passim: Scotsport was shown on ITV Border when I were a lad. Sunday afternoons were often spent watching impossibly exotic teams such as Partick Thistle and Dunfermline.

Comment

AMS: Pre-Sky, there was virtually no live football shown in Scotland because the SFA management of the time were paranoid that it'd have a detrimental effect on attendances at Scottish games.

Just about the only games we got to see live were:

- Scotland v England
        - The Scottish Cup final
        - Scottish club teams playing big games in Europe
        - Some World Cup or Euro finals games (but by no means all of them)

Highlights were a different matter, however.

Sportscene was BBC Scotland's alternative to Match of the Day, airing on Saturday night and showing extended highlights from a Scottish Premier League game and goals from others. If there was a huge game in England (Liverpool vs Everton as a virtual title decider, say) then we might get brief highlights of that too.

Scotsport was on STV on Sunday afternoon, showing extended highlights of a different SPL game from Sportscene, plus goals from others. In the late 80s, Scotsport sometime used to also do a brief goals package from other European leagues (Germany, Spain, Portugal and France mainly).

In summary, pre-Sky in Scotland it was very easy to find highlights of Scottish games and very difficult to find more than a few seconds of football from elsewhere.

Comment

Panini albums and the Sunday Post for me, I think it would be no exaggeration to say that when I was ten I could name at least five players per SPL team, now I'd struggle to name five SPL, or Scots league, players in total. And I've been to a couple of senior Scots games in the past couple of years, watched Sportscene & read the main Scotland thread in Football.

Comment

Working...
          X