• Show
Clear All

Artists that Put You to Sleep

No punnage required:

REM
    Dream Theater

Comment

Adele - Music for junior managers. They think she's a respectable choice because she wears sensible clothes and has big hear which reminds them of their mothers when they were little.

Lana del Rey - Unbearable sub-Nico drone.

Comment

I like Lloyd Cole, but I can see where he'd cause one or two to nod off.

Comment

I'm not having the anti-Tom Waits trend on here.

To the extent that I'm doing his whole career on my iTunes as I eat/drink/type.

His voice shifts around Heartattack and Vine and I can see that some might take a dislike to the earlier stuff. But I feel and hear Raindogs, Swordfishtrombones as part of a continuum rhat includes Beefheart, Nick Cave, Johnny Cash and other country performers...

Comment

I love the Spacemen Three but when I was in college my first radio show was a 2am-6am slot. I purchased Playing with Fire around that time and would put it on to listen through when I got home from my show. Every time I was asleep before the 3rd song. Finally, I gave up on those early morning listens and waited until the night. That worked. Not their best album, but it's good.

Comment

Felicity, I guess so wrote: I'm not having the anti-Tom Waits trend on here.
              (semi-hijack). Tom waits nearly kicked the sh1t out of me outside Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh. It was a Saturday AM and I was coming back from work (I lived in the neighbourhood (no pun intended)) and his I'd-be-lying-if-I-said-she-wasn't-attractive-wife asked me for "a good place to lunch?". I went ummmm, and before I could propose an option old Tom was barrelling over, fingers pointing. I protested heavily. He said "cocksucker."

True story, too. I remember being disappointed that he thought I'd hit on someone's wife.

Comment

Nat King Cole.

Not in a lullaby kind of way. I've given his songs a try at least ten times. Listened through several albums of his. Simply find they bore me to death. His voice combined with the songs bore me. It's strange. I went through a period in my 20's early 80's when I mostly listened to 50's and 60's music. Sam Cooke, Ray Charles, Salomon Burke, Ben E King, Coasters, Contours, Elvis, Fats, Percy, Otis, many more. They were all great and struck a chord. Nat... nothing except tedium.

Comment

You are certifiably insane.

Comment

Can't argue with that

Comment

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote: Nat King Cole.
                      Have you tried the recent Re:generations album? They basically had 13 artists produce a new version of a Nat King Cole song, so you get the famous old voice with new tricks applied. I particularly liked the new Lush Life, as produced by Cee-Lo Green.

Comment

I like Nat King Cole but my equivalent leaving me open to accusations of insanity would be Frank Sinatra. There's something about him. I just don't feel it.

I like some of his peers quite a lot, like Dean Martin or Tony Bennett, but Sinatra? nah. Cant quite put my finger on it either, especially as certain periods of his music are highly regarded among those in the know.

Comment

I like Nat King Cole but my equivalent leaving me open to accusations of insanity would be Frank Sinatra. There's something about him. I just don't feel it.

My father - a great fan of Sinatra-era crooners and not prone to outburst of emotion (or, come to that, of anything at all) - will always, always raise his voice when it comes to Frank Sinatra.

"Frank Sinatra? He didn't sing. Al Martino sang. Dean Martin sang. Loads of others sang. But Sinatra? He didn't sing. All Sinatra did was speak."

Comment

I think he just sounds like a git to me. I don't usually have too much a problem with listening to good music made by gits, but he just sounds like a git. A player.

like a bloke who's saying any old smarmy shit just to get his dick wet

Comment

danielmak wrote: I love the Spacemen Three but when I was in college my first radio show was a 2am-6am slot. I purchased Playing with Fire around that time and would put it on to listen through when I got home from my show … Not their best album, but it's good.
                              I lost my virginity to Playing With Fire — my girlfriend at university would habitually put it on late at night. Although only side one as it was a vinyl copy (signpost for obvious joke here).

Which S3 album do you rate above it, out of interest?

Comment

Luke R wrote: I think he just sounds like a git to me. I don't usually have too much a problem with listening to good music made by gits, but he just sounds like a git. A player.

like a bloke who's saying any old smarmy shit just to get his dick wet
                                Yes, I told him this the last time I visited him, but he's too old to change now.

Comment

Beautifully finished by the boy treibeis.

Comment

treibeis wrote: I like Nat King Cole but my equivalent leaving me open to accusations of insanity would be Frank Sinatra. There's something about him. I just don't feel it.

My father - a great fan of Sinatra-era crooners and not prone to outburst of emotion (or, come to that, of anything at all) - will always, always raise his voice when it comes to Frank Sinatra.

"Frank Sinatra? He didn't sing. Al Martino sang. Dean Martin sang. Loads of others sang. But Sinatra? He didn't sing. All Sinatra did was speak."
                                    And indeed Sinatra's forte was his conversational phrasing.

Comment

also his superb singing voice.

there was so much shite about sinatra, so much posturing, but at the back of it all he was an extraordinary singer. one whose genius has been become kind of forgotten as a result of overexposure, particularly to his later era stuff which wasn't as good.

The problem for singers like him and nat king cole is that their goal was to make something perfect, sound as simple as possible, which as any musician will tell you is the hardest fucking thing in the world. just listen to someone cover their songs and you'll hear what I'm talking about.

I suppose a good example is David bowie's brave version of Nature Boy. now obviously he's getting on a bit and his voice is shagged, but he can't actually sing the melody, and he has to simplify it greatly (the very far, very far away bit) and it winds up sounding like something from the cutting room floor of les miserable Here's the original.

then again it's easy to forget that Nat King Cole was actually a massively accomplished jazz musician, with a superb piano trio, who sang a lot of these fairly simple songs because that's what people wanted to buy. but they are simple songs that are incredibly difficult to sing. Try and sing Mona lisa and stay in tune for more than about six notes.

it also has to be remembered that in 1950, at a time that he was selling millions of records to white people all over america, the Klan burned a cross on his lawn when he moved into hancock park in LA.

Comment

If you think Sinatra had no vocal range, try singing My Way.

Comment

[quote]Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                          Originally posted by danielmak
                                          Which S3 album do you rate above it, out of interest?
                                          I'd go in order of studio album release: (1) Sound of Confusion, (2) Perfect Prescription, and then (3) Playing with Fire. Although I like Recurring, that would be a distant 4th for me.

Comment

Working...
                                          X