Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artists that Put You to Sleep

Tracy Chapman
    So utterly utterly boring it puts me in a coma.

James Taylor
    The songs are OK but his lazy nasally monotone drone is so laid back I fall instantly into the land of nod.

Alycia Keys
    I've not heard one song of hers that doesn't cause my eyes to glaze over and send me off with the fairies. Sorry, but she does. Now for a piano lady give me Aretha Franklin any day. Diana Krall even.

Solo operatic voice and piano is a format I just can't abide. Opera can be tough enough but at least there's an orchestra, a tuneful aria or two and a suicide once in a while to liven things up. But this is worse than boring because it's so static, tedious and grating I wish it would put me to sleep if only to endure the excruciating pain of it.

Tracy Chapman would be great on a long journey.
    She'd put you to sleep AND she's got a fast car.
    you'd be there in no time.

Comment

Yeah, she's so boring she puts my computer to sleep.

Comment

Marty Pillow

Comment

The Waterboys.

I'd put them on if I'd drunk too much and needed to drop off quickly lest the helicopters start up and I spew the bed, but, apart from that, life's too short for The Waterboys.

Comment

The Benzos Dog Band
            Frankie Valium
            The Mogadon Lovers

Comment

Kirsty MacColl.

For starters, her voice sounds like she's yawning.

Comment

Anything by Youth & Asia.

Comment

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Top

Comment

More seriously, the music of Leonard Cohen bores the fucking tits off me. Same with Randy Newman. A shame, because they both come across as fine human beings.

Comment

I agree on Cohen, but think Randy Newman is great.

Coldplay always do it for me.

Comment

Elbow for me. I feel like I'm supposed to like them, but I just find them so dull.

Comment

Tom Waits. Like listening to the bloke on the barstool next to yours telling you about the special offers he saw at Aldi earlier that day.

I was at a New Year's Eve party once that was dying on its arse by about ten o'clock. In a misguided attempt to liven things up, the hostess put on a Tom Waits CD. Shortly afterwards, one guest really did fall asleep.

Comment

Norah Jones. One song at a time is OK, even pleasant, but after that she's aural valium.

Any number of R&B acts over the past 20 years might qualify as well. Perhaps a greatest hits compilation would be OK, but a full album, with all the generic fillers? Dull.

Bon Iver is spectacularly uninteresting. In fact, if TIME magazine raves about an artist, the music will be boring.

Comment

Agree with Norah Jones, Coldplay and Elbow. Several Snow Patrol albums have the same effect. Aqualung. Man, that was dull.

And Travis.

Comment

Crusoe wrote: Anything by Youth & Asia.
                                *applause*

Comment

Crusoe wrote: Elbow for me. I feel like I'm supposed to like them, but I just find them so dull.
                                  Yeah, same here.

Shame about Snow Patrol, first two albums were good, but Final Straw was just that, and then the marketers got hold of them and the old man was buying their albums... such a shame.

John Grant's music would put me to sleep if I didn't have to turn it off as soon as it starts. Fucking dire, depressing, uninspired... amazing how popular he is.

Comment

Sometimes, though, you actually do want music to put you to sleep. If I'm on a 12-hour flight, I'm hoping to sleep for as much as it as possible: a couple of glasses of red wine, half a Halcion and a Cocteau Twins or Massive Attack playlist on my headphones.Pretty much also my game plan if I ever have to go to one of those Swiss clinics, except with a lot more pills and alcohol

Listening to Mogwai when you're lying on the sofa on an autumn afternoon is good too. For sleep, not death

Comment

Waits puts me to sleep too - I just drift off, perhaps cause you can't make out much of what he's growling. He's like a growly muppet pretending to be drunk, it's not that abrasive a sound. Another of those "I'm supposed to like him" artists who leaves me cold (see also: Sonic Youth and Throbbing Gristle, who - now I come to think of it - send me to sleep too, unless they're physically in the room).

Comment

I've never been able to get to grips with Waits bar the odd song. Not enough tunes (says the woman who thinks Troutmask Replica is a gorgeous pop album).

Where my pals and I lived during the '90s there were two of us sleeping in the living room, me in an armchair and Tom on the floor. So to make the space nicer we devised a setup where we both had speakers flanking our heads, and codified Bedtime Music. Classic examples of the genre include Earth 2, Skullflower, Pan Sonic, Basic Channel, Terry Riley, Eno's ambient records... meditative, droning type stuff (but with meat, no half-cocked new age).

Comment

Ah, that living room sounds great.

I think there's just something quite mannered about Waits' stuff that leaves me cold. I like the arrangements on Bone Machine but it still sounds a bit 'projectish' to me. With Beefheart I always get the feeling that the starting point was a spontaneous surrealist vision, which he then tortured his band at length into realising.

Comment

Norah Jones, Katie Melua both make me want to drop into a coma, not a nice feeling.

I've fallen asleep to Cocteau Twins, Goldfrapp and Lana del Ray, in a good way.

Comment

Snorer Jones
                                              ZZZZZZZZ Top
                                              Alice Kipper
                                              UB 40 Winks

Comment

I remember falling into beautiful sleeps on my first listens of Blue Lines and People's Instinctive Travels And The Paths of Rhythm.

I heard The Beach Boys Trader for the first time during a summer slumber, woke me up more than put me to sleep though. The bassline from the room below, late evening summer sun on my face.

Crap music doesn't really put me to sleep, it irks me to a very conscious irritation.

Comment

Ovaltineage Fanclub
                                                  The Tragically Hip-notic
                                                  Perry Coma
                                                  MC Hammock

Comment

Working...
                                                  X