'Extinct' bands from the Sixties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching the Hendrix doc on BBC last night, it struck me- as it did when I first heard of Mitch Mitchell's death afew years back- that none of the original members of the Jimi Hendrix Experience are still with us. Most of the musicians from that era are now in their late sixties or early seventies at least, so it's only natural that a few will have passed away, but are the JHE the first major group of the era to die out, for want of a better phrase?

Different era, but all the original Ramones are deceased.

Comment

If only someone had written a book about dead rock stars.

Comment

Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Temptations are both down to one original member remaining each.

Comment

Same for The Four Tops and Detroit Spinners as well. It's likely that the original line-ups from many second and third tier Soul acts during this period have all died. Diabetes and complications from it seems to be a huge killer amongst Black Americans.

Comment

Yeah, the Experience are the first 'name' band of that era now all deceased.

Of Love, only Johnny Echols survives from the original line-up, although there are many bit-part players knocking about. Similarly, with Skynyrd it's hard to judge because Gary Rossington and early members Larry Junstrom and Bob Burns are all still going. (As for The Drifters, don't let's even go there...)

From a slightly later era, only Bill Legend survives from the classic line-up of T Rex.

If only someone had written a book about dead rock stars.
            If only.

Comment

MC5, MC4, MC3, MC2. Hang in there Wayne and Dennis.

Comment

The MC4 were actually the Mega City Four who are now MC3 after the death of Wiz.

The New York Dolls are down to Johannsen and Sylvain now.

Comment

And The Stooges are now The Stooge.

Comment

John sheehan is the only original dubliner left.

note to hipsters, this is what beards look like.

Comment

and ridiculously thick hair

Comment

the odd thing is that they are all in their mid to late twenties at the latest. They look so old.

Comment

Drinking a Pacific Ocean of Guinness and whiskey and smoking 60 fags a day does tend to age one.

I loved Ronnie Drew. Now there was a man who lived his life. Didn't give a fuck. Wish I could've gone on a Guinness session with him.

Comment

growing up in the thirties, forties and fifties also aged one horribly. Luke kelly grew up in abject poverty on sherriff st.

Comment

I just involuntarily visualised them naked (The Dubliners) after wondering recently whether bearded hipsters groom their body hair. Eeeek.

No PMs, please, I don't really want to know that badly, just couldn't help wondering.

Comment

Even Dublin in the early to mid-80's was an absolute toilet. I mean, we were from the rough end of the bombcrater, but I remember thinking it was such a bleak shithole that I'd take my chances up North anyday.
                                The provincial towns must've been even worse.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: the odd thing is that they are all in their mid to late twenties at the latest. They look so old.
                                  Rather like how The Band looked on the cover of their truly magnificent eponymous album.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: John sheehan is the only original dubliner left.

The guy second from right (as you look at the photo, that is), I genuinely can't work out which direction he's swept his fringe across from. Right to left? Left to right? It's amazing.

Comment

That's john sheehan, he's the last one left. I wouldn't like to impose an external structure on it after 50 years.

Comment

Surely that's Rasputin on the right? I never even knew he could play.

Comment

He can't - it's just damn near impossible to silence him.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
                                            Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
                                            John sheehan is the only original dubliner left.

Maybe his hair didn't like it's photo being taken, and folded its arms in a huff.

The guy second from right (as you look at the photo, that is), I genuinely can't work out which direction he's swept his fringe across from. Right to left? Left to right? It's amazing.

Comment

There's only one member of Badfinger left, and two of the three that have died took their own lives.

Comment

Ron Griffiths (from the original line-up of Badfinger) and Bob Jackson (who joined in 1974) are both still with us, as well as Joey Molland - who I'm guessing is the survivor to whom you refer.

Comment

If we discount Pete Townshend, who played bass on "Something In The Air", all three official members of Thunderclap Newman -- John "Speedy" Keen, Andy "Thunderclap" Newman and Jimmy McCulloch -- are now gone, after Newman's death a couple of days ago.

And, catching up with this thread, the original line-up of The Manhattans, who started in the 1960s, is down to zero. Gerald Alston, who joined the band in 1970, is still alive.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X