Babies - Pulp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Babies - Pulp

I love this track but it still confuses the hell out of me over who is doing what with who and where exactly Jarvis (or the person he is speaking on behalf of) ends up in all of this? I can follow it until the sister(?) goes off with someone else...is that right?

Babies - Pulp

Thinking about it, I don't think the last verse makes sense:

Well I guess it couldn't last too long.
    I came home one day,
    and all her things were gone,
    I fell asleep inside.
    I never heard her come.
    And then she opened up her wardrobe,
    and I had to get it on.

So, err... either the girl's sister had moved in with Jarvis' family for some reason. Or he came home from school, and then sneaked into this girl's house.

Comment

Babies - Pulp

I got the impression he was only dating the girl involved because she looked like her older sister, who was the one he really fancied. He had to keep up a charade of devotion and seriousness to her. However, when the oportunity arose for him to do some (literally) closet voyeurism on the older sister and her boyfriend, he took it.

That's how I interpret it, from my (shaky) memory of the full lyrics, anyway.

It's a song that I think Tindersticks should cover. :-)

Comment

Babies - Pulp

evilC wrote:
        I got the impression he was only dating the girl involved because she looked like her older sister, who was the one he really fancied. He had to keep up a charade of devotion and seriousness to her. However, when the oportunity arose for him to do some (literally) closet voyeurism on the older sister and her boyfriend, he took it.

That's how I interpret it, from my (shaky) memory of the full lyrics, anyway.

It's a song that I think Tindersticks should cover. :-)
        That's how I had it. Plus when he gets caught he actually 'gets it on' with the older girl meaning he's talking to the younger sister when he says 'I only went with her cos she looks like you.'

Bloody hell it's confusing.

Comment

Babies - Pulp

evilC and Baroudeur are spot on, especially with the Tindersticks suggestion.

Comment

Babies - Pulp

How come your name and details have got scroll bars around them?

Comment

Babies - Pulp

I also love this song to a bizarre degree. I always thought that Jarvis was going to write progressively less kinky songs about hiding in wardrobes as he became more famous and got a girlfriend etc. Didn't I get an awful shock when I heard this is hardcore for the first time.

Comment

Babies - Pulp

"That's how I had it. Plus when he gets caught he actually 'gets it on' with the older girl meaning he's talking to the younger sister when he says 'I only went with her cos she looks like you.'"

I always thought he was talking to the older sister on that line to explain why he was dating her sister? So who "all her stuff had gone" left then? It's a strange song because there is no clarity one of the two he is talking about isn't actually male.

Comment

Babies - Pulp

"we were on the bed when you came home,
                  I heard you stop outside the door.
                  I know you won't believe it's true,
                  I only went with her 'cos she looks like you."

This is directed at the younger sibling, surely.

Comment

Babies - Pulp

SR - that happens in alot of the user name/details areas on my browser at home, but not at work. No idea why.

Comment

Babies - Pulp

The way I see it is the entire song is directed at the younger sibling. I reckon he's her friend, but nothing more, and has a crush on her. The pair of them listen outside her big sister's door, just for a laugh, but then he goes further and starts hiding in big sister's wardrobe. First he sees/hears her with this kid called David, then eventually comes the time when he has to get it on with her. But really, all he wants is little sis.

(He has listened in on little sis too with some boy when that boy's parents are out.)

P.S. Not sure what the "and all her things were gone" line means either. Doesn't appear to make much sense.

Comment

Babies - Pulp

I love the way Jarvis says 'alright!' in this song.

Comment

Babies - Pulp

Jimski wrote:
                          The way I see it is the entire song is directed at the younger sibling. I reckon he's her friend, but nothing more, and has a crush on her. The pair of them listen outside her big sister's door, just for a laugh, but then he goes further and starts hiding in big sister's wardrobe. First he sees/hears her with this kid called David, then eventually comes the time when he has to get it on with her. But really, all he wants is little sis.

(He has listened in on little sis too with some boy when that boy's parents are out.)

P.S. Not sure what the "and all her things were gone" line means either. Doesn't appear to make much sense.
                          I think the chorus, is him thinking to himself, rather than directed at the younger sister:

Jarvis Cocker wrote:
                          Oh I want to take you home.
                          I want to give you children.
                          You might be my girlfriend, yeah.
                          In terms of:

Jarvis Cocker wrote:
                          Well I guess it couldn't last too long.
                          I came home one day,
                          and all her things were gone,
                          I'm guessing that he thinks it wouldn't last too long, because he was going to get caught by one of the sisters, but I've always thought that the older sister is moving out - presumably to live with David.

The thing is, this is the first time that the younger sister has caught him in the wardrobe, how was he getting in the house? Especially as he's admitted to listening to the younger sister and Neve at some point.

Jarvis Cocker wrote:
                          And so you went with Neve,
                          and Neve was coming on,
                          and I thought I heard you laughing,
                          when his Mum and Dad were gone.
                          I listened outside, I heard you.

Comment

Babies - Pulp

I think the chorus, is him thinking to himself, rather than directed at the younger sister:
                            Yeah, what I mean is the 'you' in the chorus is the younger sister.

In fact that's the easiest way to decode the song. 'Her' always means the elder sister, while 'you' is the younger sister, which is what I meant when I said the entire sopng is directed at the younger sister.

Comment

Babies - Pulp

Are there any other pop songs so explicitly about voyeurism? I know that voyeurism isn't the main theme of 'babies' it's more about unrequited love and the lengths you'll go to to be near the object of your thwarted desire - but it still plays a major part. It's what makes the song so errr... 'kinky' (although I hate that term).

Momus' 'My Pervert Doppelganger' deploys a bizarre twist on the tale. The protagonist is worried his girlfriend is having a fling on the side, so he hides in their wardrobe to 'catch' her. When she enters the room and he jumps out, it turns out that the mystery lover is in fact himself - only his pervert alter ego - meaning that he is, in fact, pretty much schizophrenic - at least sexually speaking. As it happens, this turns out to be a watershed moment and he 'comes to terms with' his seedier side and they all live happily ever after ...all three of them!

Here's the lyrics:

"I've got a pervert doppelganger
                              He came from over the sea
                              He hangs around doing sexual crimes
                              And the blame is getting pinned on me
                              The blame is getting pinned on me

Whenever that pervert shows his face
                              My friends all think he's me
                              They give him records by Squarepusher
                              And a box of Japanese tea
                              A box of Japanese green tea

He's taken a flat in Smithfields now