Bowie's Best Albums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowie's Best Albums?

Life On Mars was a couple of months after Aladdin Sane. I think Jean Genie and Drive-In Saturday were the taster singles for it:

http://www.chartwatch.co.uk/TopTen/acts/ACT00523.htm

Bowie performed Drive-In Saturday on Russell Harty's show on 27/1/73 (see above)

As MsD says, Hunky Dory was finished only a week before Bowie started on Ziggy so I think there's more continuity there than is often recognized: Ziggy evolved from the persona shifts that started on Hunky Dory. Moreover Mick Ronson is on Hunky Dory and he is really a lynchpin of that era's sound.

Pretty Things was bizarrely a hit for Peter Noone.

Comment

Bowie's Best Albums?

There was also the 60s stuff, like London Boys, but I don't think anyone loved those early albums in their entirety or as much as HD.
      See, I absolutely love that '60's stuff.
      Little Bombadier, Let Me Sleep Beside You, Come And Buy My Toys, Uncle Arthur etc. are little works of joy.

But then I'm a weirdo.

I'm not saying they're as polished or as accomplished as anything on Hunky Dory, but they're little gleaming diamonds.

Comment

Bowie's Best Albums?

Any love for Pin-ups? I can't say that, even having gone out with two Bowie obsessives, I am an expert on it but it is seen as a novelty album or something. IT is a great choice of songs and those that I remember are well executed. Having said that, his two best over versions - "Let's Spend the night together" and "Knock on wood" - aren't on it.

Comment

Bowie's Best Albums?

Bored of Education wrote: Any love for Pin-ups? I can't say that, even having gone out with two Bowie obsessives, I am an expert on it but it is seen as a novelty album or something. IT is a great choice of songs and those that I remember are well executed. Having said that, his two best over versions - "Let's Spend the night together" and "Knock on wood" - aren't on it.
          I like 'Pin-Ups'. I know it's a covers album, but at least he did what I consider to be 'the decent thing' and got them out of the way all in one go, rather than just having a seemingly obligatory and token cover version on every album. (One of the few things I'd criticise early Japan over.) However, this approach doesn't work for everyone, of course - I think 'Through The Looking Glass' was the Banshees album that received the worst critical reception of all, wasn't it?

Comment

Working...
          X