Operation Good Guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Operation Good Guys

Anybody watch operation good guys first time around? I only caught seven episodes when it first aired, and remember laughing uncontrollably at a fair few scenes.

Anyway, it's free to watch on the BBC World Wide youtube channel, watched the first two episodes and I think it's brill...might just by my sense of humour mind, but it's been a treat.

Bit of a precursor to the office this, which in itself was a continuation of fly on the wall documentaries that I seem to recall beginning with driving school back in the mid-nineties. Maureen Rees, hmmmm, nostalgia. Hmmmm, Maureen Rees.

Operation Good Guys

This is possibly the funniest show I've ever seen. Very few rival in my view.

The originator of the spoof fly-on-the-wall mockumentary, came before the office, and is just pant-wettingly funny.

The character of DI Beach is brilliantly realized by David Gillespie and his constant pratfalls result in constant mirth, especially when he samples some deadly berries in the 'castaway' episode.

I couldn't recommend this show any more.

Comment

Operation Good Guys

stevue81 wrote: This is possibly the funniest show I've ever seen. Very few rival in my view.

The originator of the spoof fly-on-the-wall mockumentary, came before the office, and is just pant-wettingly funny.

The character of DI Beach is brilliantly realized by David Gillespie and his constant pratfall result in constant mirth, especially when he samples some deadly berries in the 'castaway' episode.

I couldn't recommend this show any more.
      Was 'The Office' in The Day Today not the originator of the mockumentary style? I used 'an Armitage Shanks defecation interface' (in a Scottish accent) in conversation the other day.

Comment

Operation Good Guys

Yeah I guess those TDT sketches were a pre cursor somewhat, but they were short scenes and not the same as a 30 minute show...it could well have inspired Burdis, Anciano and co however, no question

Comment

Operation Good Guys

Wouldn't Spinal tap be classed as 'year zero' for mockumentaries?

Everything else followed.

I was up to series two when I started this thread, so a quick heads-up: unfortunately season three (the BBC worldwide copy on youtube) has a laughter track, which detracts from the show, but it's still worth a watch.

So many good moments, I cried at the duet between DI Beach and DS Ash in series one, episode four.("We're the talk of Syracuse???"...We are amigos, and he goes where I goes and I goes where he goes, we're just a couple of pals! - it's actually kinda sweet) And Gillespie's reverence for J Edgar Hoover - right through to the cross dressing - was one of many nice touches. It's a woefully undervalued show. Well, not by me, but you know what I mean...I think.

Ended up reading up on what happened to the main men from this show, and they've all ended up making those FACKIN Cockney gangster comedy films that lock stock has a lot to answer for.

And a hello to you Stevue81.

Comment

Operation Good Guys

Andy Townsends Tactics Truck wrote: Wouldn't Spinal tap be classed as 'year zero' for mockumentaries?

Everything else followed.

I was up to series two when I started this thread, so a quick heads-up: unfortunately season three (the BBC worldwide copy on youtube) has a laughter track, which detracts from the show, but it's still worth a watch.

So many good moments, I cried at the duet between DI Beach and DS Ash in series one, episode four.("We're the talk of Syracuse???"...We are amigos, and he goes where I goes and I goes where he goes, we're just a couple of pals! - it's actually kinda sweet) And Gillespie's reverence for J Edgar Hoover - right through to the cross dressing - was one of many nice touches. It's a woefully undervalued show. Well, not by me, but you know what I mean...I think.

Ended up reading up on what happened to the main men from this show, and they've all ended up making those FACKIN Cockney gangster comedy films that lock stock has a lot to answer for.

And a hello to you Stevue81.
            Thank you! Good to meet an appreciator of this gem!!

I know series 3 has the laughter track but if you can just put it to one side, it's the craziest most lunatic series of them all, The desert island, the christmas special...raging pig!! Awesome

Frisk em Ferrino shoots his gun

'In New York. This is how we get your attention'
            'That's why we live ere mate'

Comment

Working...
            X