Sons of Anarchy Series 7 (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure where this series can go now. Jax has seemingly lost his only chance of redemption and is now indulging in torture which yet has no cathartic value for him. Everyone is drowning in their own violence and loss of humanity. It's good but unremittingly dark. Where is the light to counterbalance the shade?

It's the last season and you know it'll end in blood and tears. I agree the first episode was especially evil, but we're in full on Medea territory now — The story's always been driven by Gemma more than Jax, or Clay — so I don't think it'll get much lighter.

Comment

Episode 12 was just about the most dramatic piece of television you could imagine. The acting in 'the' scene was just unbelievably good.

One caveat: I could have done without the sex scene at the end. I know it's a "sex and death" motif but I just don't think that even Jax, as a plausible fictional character, could switch between those two modes so quickly at that point.

It's also very clever that we still have a full episode left and the only character whose final fate is unclear is Jax, although I think there were clues in the fact that both Nero and Unser made it clear that Jax will destroy himself if he does what he did last night.

Another clever note is that it's not clear whether Jax's agreement to resign the presidency was a bluff that will actually succeed.

The series creator, Sutter, seems to me to have his own contradictions, which we see in the series: he's not sure whether he's condemning this nihilistic culture or somehow finding grace and beauty in its darkness.

Comment

This has never been a series that surprises — it often seems plotted by spreadsheet — so I don't imagine the ending will be a shock. It has improved immensely over the past few episodes. The scene between Venus and Tig in e10 was particularly powerful and moving. The secondary acting, as a whole, has picked the show up I think, Chibs, Tig, Juice and, in the past couple of episodes, Gemma and Nero. Unfortunately I've never been convinced by Jax, either the character or the actor. Charlie Hunnan just isn't a leader of men. And no amount of corpses, manly hugs or fistbumps will alter that.

Comment

I stopped watching it when they went to Ireland. I can suspend belief for a bit, but that was too much. Much happen in the next 4 series?

Comment

Probably as much as in four months of Corrie

Comment

I agree about Jax. Hunnan seems a better actor when he's vulnerable than being the tough guy.

The biggest plausibility issue is why Chibs & Tig stay loyal to him when generally their characters seem more mature and more conventionally masculine. Chibs seems to be like a paternal figure to him but that's not what Chibs and Tig need.

Comment

So the whole of the last episode was valedictory. I don't quite get why Jax was allowed to walk free after the confession.

Maybe Charlie Hunnan was a casting masterstroke, to show how weak the man was; but then I still think that any decent charter would have whacked him rather than showing such devotion (which became inexplicable in the last series)

Comment

Working...
                X