Perfectly executed bits of dialogue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just watching "It's a Mad, Mad... World" this morning and although I'd be hard-pressed to call it a good movie, there are some really, really good bits.

Mickey Rooney gets one of the thread title items for the line:

What do you mean "who's flying the plane"? Nobody's flying the plane!

And Terry Thomas gets the brilliant monologue ending with:

I'll wager you anything you like that if American women stopped wearing brassieres, your whole national economy would collapse overnight.

and Spencer Tracy nails the hell out of:

You know what I believe I'd like? A chocolate fudge sundae with whipped cream and a cherry on top.

... er... as you were.

Three of my favorite lines:

Barfly: Frank Stallone says to Mickey Rourke just before the two are about to go into the alley to fight: "I'd hate to be you if I were me."

Apocalypse Now: After a bunch of the characters run back to the boat after being chased by a tiger Chef says: "I didn't graduate from the fucking 8th grade for this."

Kicking and Screaming (Noah Baumbuach version not the Will Farrell film): Eric Stoltz plays a bartender and asks Josh Hamilton's character: "How do you make God laugh?" Hamilton doesn't know. Stoltz: "Have a plan."

Comment

This three minute scene is just stuffed with them...

(She kisses him)
      Him: "Why'd you do that?"
      Her: "I've been wondering whether I'd like it.
      Him: "What's the decision?"
      Her: I don't know yet.
      (kisses him again.)
      Her: It's even better when you help."

And of course:

"You don't have to act with me Steve. You don't have to say anything. You don't have to do anything. Except maybe..." You know the rest.

Of course it's the pauses and silences that make it so incredible.

Comment

Paris, Texas

Jane: "The trailer..."

Travis: "Yes. ...They lived in a trailer home."

= = =

The Elephant Man

Carr: "What is it, Treves?"

Treves: "I... I didn't teach him that part!"

= = =

Alien

Ash: "There is an explanation for this, you know."

= = =

Withnail & I

The whole of it!

= = =

Dead Men Don't wear Plaid

Reardon: "Finally, I arrived at a very important conclusion: Shit on her! All dames are alike. They reach down your throat, grab your heart and pull it out. They throw it on the floor and they step on it with their high heels. Then they spit on it, shove it in the oven and cook the shit out of it. They slice it into little pieces, slam it on a hunk of toast and they serve it to ya. ...And they expect you to say 'Thanks, honey, it's delicious.'"

= = =

There was also a film I caught the end of on TV, once - it had Dirk Bogarde in it. He was saying an awkward and minimal goodbye on the phone - to a former lover, I think. I didn't really get the context (and I haven't seen it since) but it was really quite moving in its restraint and his character's obvious heartbreak. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Comment

Bonnie & Clyde

"Dirt."

Comment

There was also a film I caught the end of on TV, once - it had Dirk Bogarde in it. He was saying an awkward and minimal goodbye on the phone - to a former lover, I think. I didn't really get the context (and I haven't seen it since) but it was really quite moving in its restraint and his character's obvious heartbreak. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Accident, or Victim maybe? Sounds a bit like the latter but it's so long since I saw it I can't be sure.

Comment

It's beyond fuqing words.

The most violent non-violent scene.

Comment

My favourite movie insult ever, all in the delivery.

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Comment

There is a leopard on your roof, and it's my leopard and I have to get it, and to get it I have to sing.

Comment

A bit of an open goal this one:

"Tonya! Can you play the balalaika?"
                    "Can she play? She's an artist!"
                    "Who taught you?"
                    "Nobody taught her."
                    "Ahh, then it's a gift."

Comment

Fakir! Off!

Comment

My favourite scene from Bonfire of the Vanities:

Mr. McCoy: Oh... you know I have always been a great believer in the truth. I have lived my life as honestly as I can. I, I believe in the truth as an essential companion to a man of conscience. A beacon in this vast and dark wasteland that is our modern world. And yet...

Sherman McCoy: Yes?

Mr. McCoy: ...in this case, if the truth won't set you free - then lie.

Comment

Sheriff Bart in Blazing Saddles

"Excuse me while I whip this out"

Comment

From "A Life Less Ordinary":

Al: Nice-looking woman.

Robert: She isn't my type.

Al: What are you talking about? Look at yourself. You're nothing. You're nobody. You're wanted in connection with a violent crime. You're cleaning the floor of a diner. She is an intelligent, passionate, beautiful, rich woman. The issue of whether or not she's your type is not one that you're likely to have to resolve in this world... or, indeed, the next, since she will be going to some heaven for glamorous pussy, and you will be cleaning the floor of a diner in hell.

Tony Shalhoub (Al) executes the last part with an absolutely perfect withering scorn, completely puncturing Ewan McGregor's (Robert) self-pity.

Comment

Having seen Lawrence of Arabia again this week, I'd say nearly every fucking moment of it.

Comment

"There's no time to discuss this in committee!"

"I AM NOT A COMMITTEE!"

(Best line in any Star Wars film. Not that there's much competition. But that is brilliant.)

Also, Wayne in Wayne's World when he gets given a gun rack.

Comment

Working...
                                X