Joy Division: Unknown Pleasures v Closer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a close race, but it's definitely a Joy Division for me. Curtis is just a way better singer and I'm just more of the JD disposition.

Also, my favorite New Order song is Ceremony, which is really a Joy Division song.

Comment

I listen to both albums all the time. I think I prefer Closer ever so slightly. The Eternal is quite possibly the best song ever written.

Comment

And as much as I enjoy New Order they don't get close to Joy Division for me.

Comment

1. New Order- 1980-1989
          2. Joy Division

Comment

80-89 is worth specifying, GdSC, and I completely agree with you.

I've been giving the first Electronic album a few spins lately and reckon it is the last really top notch album that Bernard S made.

Comment

Too close to call. I've played Unknown Pleasures a lot more than Closer, but that's probably because it's more accessible and I was more angsty when it came out. The second side of Closer, though, is the band at their absolute peak.

Clearly, by combining Joy Division with New Order we have the best band of all time.

Comment

New Order has more great singles, but then they put out a lot more music and JD's not-single-worthy filler is better than New Order's NSWF.

Comment

Well, New Order released far more singles (obviously), but are any of them 'better' than Love Will Tear Us Apart, Atmosphere or even Transmission?

Ceremony (effectively Joy Division anyway) and Procession come close - and many others were very good (Temptation, Shellshock, Fine Time, World) - but they weren't on the same planet for me.

Comment

I love both bands, but for me nothing by NO approaches the intensity and euphoria of Transmission, very few tracks in any genre do.

True Faith is my personal favourite NO, for sentimental reasons.

Comment

Never been a massive fan of that, although I could see why it was such a huge hit. (Good also to see 'em break the US with it early in 1988.)

Procession's my personal favourite New Order tune. I'd probably still rate that in my all-time Top 40 (if I were ever to re-compile said list).

Comment

Stephen Morris was the main writer of Procession, according to wiki. Rhythm on it is definitely more interesting than on later NO releases (which IMHO fall victim to how badly rhythm tracks were produced generally in the 80s; it even spoils many Smiths tracks).

Aside: Procession also also seems to influence later songs by the Wedding Present.

Comment

Breathtaking live performance: Les Bains Douches Dec 1979

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBAFWNpdiuA

Comment

Working...
                          X