The legendary undead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The legendary undead

Tramp The Dirt Down wrote: I always thought the album Can't Slow Down was Motown's calculated copy of Thriller.

The title track was his Wanna Be Startin' Something.

All Night Long - was his Billie Jean

Running With The Night - was his Beat It.

Penny Lover - was his Human Nature
    I can well buy the idea that that Can't Slow Down was a calculated attempt to cash in on Thriller, but those examples are all over the shop.

Beat It was basically a Van Halen song with Jacko singing over the top, yet Running With The Night is standard-issue late 1970s disco.

Penny Lover is a run-of-the-mill FM ballad, whereas Human Nature is way more spacey and swirly, because it's effectively a Toto track -- all their core members play on it.

All Night Long apes the Quincy Jones 1980s surface veneer so well that, for a long time, I automatically assumed it was his work. It was actually produced by James Anthony Carmichael, whose birth date is variously estimated at 1920 and 1941.

I've never heard the title track, nor indeed the album.

Comment

The legendary undead

Bono - 1958
      I expect his parents would have been a little upset, but it would have spared the rest of us a lot of suffering.

Comment

The legendary undead

Harsh. Let's rather wish Mr Hewson had practised coitus interuptus. Or leave Mrs Hewson alone.

Comment

Working...
        X